What have you done to your bike today?

teabagger11

Well-Known Member
20210610_110447.jpg

Added a chris king front hub to the SS
 

mtn

Well-Known Member
Long drive, but finally got 1up’ed. Quite frankly not much lighter than the kuat nv if i were to add an add on. But it’s nice to have a wobbleless kinda rack.
Now looking for a black add on.
 

Attachments

  • E5A78D99-C9BC-4FDE-9CC9-986963EE4469.jpeg
    E5A78D99-C9BC-4FDE-9CC9-986963EE4469.jpeg
    136.3 KB · Views: 14

extremedave

Well-Known Member
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Threw on a new $50 derailleur as Wildcat has taken it’s toll. Fun fact, SLX is 40g heavier than XT but feels like more, oddly. I cannot figure how the chain gets so dirty. I gotta start shopping for a new one as it’s almost worn out. A very quick search didn’t find much in stock and it used to be a $20 “whenever I want one” item. Stoopid covid.

I discovered I had no tokens in the fork so I bought a set and added one. See how it feels.
06670709-F63A-47B4-B56E-54314D28747B.jpeg
 

Gene

The Dancing Machine
Threw on a new $50 derailleur as Wildcat has taken it’s toll. Fun fact, SLX is 40g heavier than XT but feels like more, oddly. I cannot figure how the chain gets so dirty. I gotta start shopping for a new one as it’s almost worn out. A very quick search didn’t find much in stock and it used to be a $20 “whenever I want one” item. Stoopid covid.

I discovered I had no tokens in the fork so I bought a set and added one. See how it feels.
View attachment 160125
I thought of my ride today that it’s been a while since a broke my derailleur. Then a couple of miles later, shit happened.
 

Karate Monkey

Well-Known Member
Speed sensor broke--thread insert pulled apart from the housing, probably because of the Buttermilk Valley downhill overlooking the river (so I know where to go to test my work)--so I took the opportunity to change the mounting bracket for a different style; problem: it was designed for spokes laced in the opposite direction of how the ones on this wheel are laced. Solution: crafty me cuts off piece of rubber mount where spoke needs to sit, and glues it on other side. New problem: other half of the clamshell is hard plastic, and not as easy to simply modify without pins/reinforcement. Solution: I had an offcut of walnut that was about the right thickness to copy the piece, so I got to work.

Final product took ~60 minutes of working time from modification-to-install, and I got to use my safe-edge file to do the major profiling, since I didn't want to cut into the 'core' of the piece, and the walnut was hard enough to work well with the file. After finishing/checking the fit, I paste waxed the hell out of it to give it a chance at surviving, then installed it.

PXL_20210620_190009332.jpg
PXL_20210620_190042276.jpg
PXL_20210620_205135645.jpg


I even managed to have the presence of mind to cut it so the grain wasn't unsupported over the spokes. Go me.

I'm getting a lot of mileage out of this piece of walnut, though it never got used for the original purpose (to be a bridge support on a zither).
 

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Never. That stuff is supposed to be unicorn tears mixed with fairy dust.

…and I bought the bike used. With a chain and everything!


assembly lube is not really a lubricant, its there to protect from corrosion while in storage/transport, its VERY tacky to help it stay in place, but that also means it attracts every last freakind spec of dust/hair/dirt/pollen ect and turns itself into a nice abrasive slurry to grind your chain into oblivion, i degrease with a chain cleaner as soon as i put a new chain on and then apply the lube of your choosing. Also according to the internet (i have not tried it to know) mixing chain lubes is bad

1624274256090.png
 

smw

Member
Bled 2016 generation Guide RS (not as bad as the interwebs makes it sound) and added new grips. The DMR Death Grips were ok, the mushroom flange on the thumb end was awkward but am digging the ODI Elite Pro.
 

Karate Monkey

Well-Known Member
Speed sensor broke--thread insert pulled apart from the housing, probably because of the Buttermilk Valley downhill overlooking the river (so I know where to go to test my work)--so I took the opportunity to change the mounting bracket for a different style; problem: it was designed for spokes laced in the opposite direction of how the ones on this wheel are laced. Solution: crafty me cuts off piece of rubber mount where spoke needs to sit, and glues it on other side. New problem: other half of the clamshell is hard plastic, and not as easy to simply modify without pins/reinforcement. Solution: I had an offcut of walnut that was about the right thickness to copy the piece, so I got to work.

Final product took ~60 minutes of working time from modification-to-install, and I got to use my safe-edge file to do the major profiling, since I didn't want to cut into the 'core' of the piece, and the walnut was hard enough to work well with the file. After finishing/checking the fit, I paste waxed the hell out of it to give it a chance at surviving, then installed it.

View attachment 160164View attachment 160165View attachment 160166

I even managed to have the presence of mind to cut it so the grain wasn't unsupported over the spokes. Go me.

I'm getting a lot of mileage out of this piece of walnut, though it never got used for the original purpose (to be a bridge support on a zither).

*womp womp womp*

My made piece held up fine, unfortunately my modified rubber bit didn't; I decided, in my haste, to make a series of cascading bad choices: I prepped the rubber surfaces poorly; I used the wrong adhesive; I didn't test the bond before installing it. It rocketed off the spokes on a rooty descent, and I was lucky to recover the unit.

Take two, coming up.
 
Top Bottom