What have you done to your bike today?

The tallboy 27, the Blur 24. I think the tallboy's sc reserve wheels are 4 lbs with tires. Probably next year I'll get really light carbon wheels for the Blur, should be able to knock a lb off rotating weight.
I need to kidnap your bikes and harvest some parts.

More on my go fast bike:
2017 Trek FX Sport 5, carbon frame and fork, nice and light. Tiagra 2x10 groupset works just fine. Shimano hydraulic brakes..mt201 I think? Lower end but they work fine.
Has some funky built in Bluetooth thing in the chainstay :shrug:
What I want to do with it:
-wider tires. I think it can fit up to 35c wide tires...want to get more gravel oriented tires. Tan sidewalls would look sweet on this
-new saddle. This one is a pain in the butt lol. Will probably grab my favorite selle smp saddle.
-wider bars. I love how this is flatbar, I can't do drop bars. But, this bar is narrow, and I'm wide. Lol.
I'll eventually take off the reflectors and put better pedals on.
20200924_085549.jpg

More on my go fast bike:
2017 Trek FX Sport 5, carbon frame and fork, nice and light. Tiagra 2x10 groupset works just fine. Shimano hydraulic brakes..mt201 I think? Lower end but they work fine.
-wider tires. I think it can fit up to 35c wide tires...want to get more gravel oriented tires. Tan sidewalls would look sweet on this
-new saddle. This one is a pain in the butt lol. Will probably grab my favorite selle smp saddle.
-wider bars. I love how this is flatbar, I can't do drop bars. But, this bar is narrow, and I'm wide. Lol.
View attachment 139972

A former riding buddy of mine had one on his Madone, pretty sure that’s a speed/cadence sensor.

A former riding buddy of mine had one on his Madone, pretty sure that’s a speed/cadence sensor.

correct, trek offers an integrated speed/cadence sensor in quite a few of their (road???, not sure if any mtn bikes got the treatment) bikes, i believe they call it duotrap, and the sensor itself is NOT installed at the factory, you have to buy it seperately and it replaces the spacer thats there. Since it appears he bought it used the sensor may already be there, as a note the last once i saw was ant+/BT dual band.

the downside to this system (IMO) is that it still uses magnets to measure off of which need to be setup just right, i prefer the garmin speed/cadence sensor which just use accelerators to measure the rotational speed.

More on my go fast bike:
View attachment 139972
tires.. Get these if you can go up to 38

correct, trek offers an integrated speed/cadence sensor in quite a few of their (road???, not sure if any mtn bikes got the treatment) bikes, i believe they call it duotrap, and the sensor itself is NOT installed at the factory, you have to buy it seperately and it replaces the spacer thats there. Since it appears he bought it used the sensor may already be there, as a note the last once i saw was ant+/BT dual band.

the downside to this system (IMO) is that it still uses magnets to measure off of which need to be setup just right, i prefer the garmin speed/cadence sensor which just use accelerators to measure the rotational speed.
I've had one of these DuoTraps on my Madone for ~10 years. Probably not 100% accurate as stated, but it has been reliable and it worked with all my Garmin devices (ant+). I really only use it for cadence though.

Kind of silly to discount speed/cadence metrics because they are calculated from a magnetic reed switch. They're pretty damn accurate...maybe the only ding against them is that they don't react to super fast changes well (but how many people are going from 0-20MPH regularly enough to make a difference?). I have an accelerometer-based cadence sensor on my shoe for a bike that can't fit a normal one due to crank clearance, and when compared to the reed-operated one from Garmin (on a different bike with the same shoes), they are 99% the same.

Fyi, you've got about 2.5mm in each direction from 'perfect' for the sensor to still register. That's more than enough clearance to drive a train through (to borrow a turn of phrase from a mechanical engineer).

Kind of silly to discount speed/cadence metrics because they are calculated from a magnetic reed switch. They're pretty damn accurate...maybe the only ding against them is that they don't react to super fast changes well (but how many people are going from 0-20MPH regularly enough to make a difference?). I have an accelerometer-based cadence sensor on my shoe for a bike that can't fit a normal one due to crank clearance, and when compared to the reed-operated one from Garmin (on a different bike with the same shoes), they are 99% the same.

Fyi, you've got about 2.5mm in each direction from 'perfect' for the sensor to still register. That's more than enough clearance to drive a train through (to borrow a turn of phrase from a mechanical engineer).

Ha my complaints aren't about accuracy just dealing with the magnet setup, iv had sensors that were a lot more finicky than 2.5mm tolerance, bc as a mechanical engineer myself, that is a pretty loose tolerance.

Back
Top Bottom