What did the taco joint ever do to you???

What's the filling?

Make me an authentic taco. I could use one right about now.

too many to mention.....but just a few...

barbacoa (slow cooked beef preferably neck, tongue or cheek)
trompo (they call it Pastor in central Mexico) (pork cooked gyro style on that spinning skewer thingy, add pineapple for extra flavor)
shredded beef
shredded chicken
chorizo & beans or chorizo & mashed potatoes...
carnitas (you don't want to know)
there are other more "interesting" fillings ;)
and
chicharron (some pork skins with sauce)

DAMN is 11.41 and I am craving tacos!! Damn you Norm!! :D

I dont know if i would consider the casa de deliciousness an authentic mexican spot. its def better than all of the fast food joints and the spot on rt 1. Might even rival On the Border.

on the border? authentic? ok, moreso than taco bell but still.

huh, i had no idea that "real" tacos could not contain beans. i've always made mine with the soft tortilla (probably not corn, but meh..), ground turkey (ok, no turkeys in the rey mysterio explanation, but, meh..) brown rice, black beans and shredded queso (none of which appears in the above).

wait a cotton pickin' minute. WTF am i eating?!?!

so do fish tacos exist or is that a product of Kalifornication?

too many to mention.....but just a few...

barbacoa (slow cooked beef preferably neck, tongue or cheek)
trompo (they call it Pastor in central Mexico) (pork cooked gyro style on that spinning skewer thingy, add pineapple for extra flavor)
shredded beef
shredded chicken
chorizo & beans or chorizo & mashed potatoes...
carnitas (you don't want to know)
there are other more "interesting" fillings ;)
and
chicharron (some pork skins with sauce)

DAMN is 11.41 and I am craving tacos!! Damn you Norm!! :D

Damn I missed this last night. Hey my wife is Taiwanese, there's nothing in the "you don't want to know" category I haven't already tried. Intestines and hunks of congealed blood - oh baby that's good eats! Not so keen on the chicken feet though.

I also want to give props to that place on Rt. 27. I've only ridden 6-mile a handful of times. Each time, I finished the ride with a stomach full of burrito.

Good Stuff!!!

on the border? authentic? ok, moreso than taco bell but still.

huh, i had no idea that "real" tacos could not contain beans. i've always made mine with the soft tortilla (probably not corn, but meh..), ground turkey (ok, no turkeys in the rey mysterio explanation, but, meh..) brown rice, black beans and shredded queso (none of which appears in the above).

wait a cotton pickin' minute. WTF am i eating?!?!

so do fish tacos exist or is that a product of Kalifornication?

ohh yeah, fish tacos exist....or shrimp too, but you won't find those at the "little taco stand in the corner", you need to go to a restaurant. ;)

Beans are ok, refried....refried with chorizo (OH YEAH!)....but not mixed with rice.

Unless you go to an actual real mexican restaraunt, you will only find American tacos- hard shell, lettuce,tomatoe, sour cream, cheese, etc.

If any of you guys are near an "Baja Fresh", they offer something that is close to an authentic taco. For the real stuff, you gotta venture into the hood.

My wife and I have traveled many miles just to try different Mexican spots, we have quite a few under our belts.

What do you think of "Chilangos" in Highlands?

Looks like I have somewhere to try this weekend! Is it down by Barhs and Wind and Sea? What do you suggest? Menu looks promising and a nice booze selection, which beer do you suggest? The places that are little storefronts are usually the good ones. Thanks.

Last edited:
This is awesome!! This thread has turned into the Ultimate TACO thread!! :getsome: :getsome:

tacos.jpg

Looks like I have somewhere to try this weekend! Is it down by Barhs and Wind and Sea? What do you suggest? Menu looks promising and a nice booze selection, which beer do you suggest? The places that are little storefronts are usually the good ones. Thanks.
Place is excellent. It's chef-owned and the specials are always interesting.

The "Chilangos burrito" is interesting, flavor-wise, and I love the enchiladas with mole sauce. We've never ordered anything there that wasn't great.

My cerveza of choice is Negro Modelo.

It is right on the strip in town, but further west than all those places by the bridge.

I am visiting some friends here in Carlsbad California.

I had some killer fish tacos last night at a spot called Los Ollas. (sp??)

Anyway I would kill to have this spot in NJ.

Super yummy on all counts.

Very good drinks too.

This trip has been a drunk-a-thon for me. Luckily there are some waves today.

Back to NJ tommorow..

peas
J-

No more Taco talk???

So last nite I ventured to the 'hood to get some real tacos....my favorite place is EL TAPATIO @ Market St in Passaic....yeah don't wear any jewelry or fancy clothes :D
They have killer CECINA & NOPALES tacos!!! :getsome:
Cecina is very thin sliced meat that is dired & salted and Nopales are a type of Cactus.

But as I was coming back I was waiting for the light to change when I hear a siren and then I see a Passaic cop car with his flashing lights...he makes a turn right in front of me and as he turns he takes a sip of this long neck dark bottle.....WTF?!?!?! Was he drinking a beer!!! Root beer? I bet you it was beer!!! The cop looked Mexican :eek: :D :eek: :D

I wanted to mention that they finally got a new window. Now please don't drive your car through this one as it takes them 5 months to replace it.

I wanted to mention that they finally got a new window. Now please don't drive your car through this one as it takes them 5 months to replace it.

Yeah, its been back together for a while now. It was cold in there with the plastic wall. Now I'm hungry for chicken tacos!

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions