What bike company would you not work for?

Karate Monkey

I ran into Pivot Factory Crew at Creek 2 years ago. Those guys were A-Holes.

Just an observation.

I've rarely met factory or team riders that were 'nice'. The ones that were usually had handlers/coaching on how not to be a dick. I've met Jens Voigt in person, and he was nice, in as far as someone who has pretty much nothing in common with you is nice. Still, I'm going to bet if I had bumped into him in Red Bank, recognized who he was, and started trying to talk shop, he'd probably be pretty annoyed. But hey, wouldn't most of us?

There's a lot of turnover in this business, especially in sales. If it's a sales position you're after I'd take a hard pass until the supply chain mess starts to clear up. Which won't be for quite some time.

I'll give the same open-ended advice I gave to a friend of mine before he joined this circus of an industry from the outside. Expect lots of aggravation. Expect lots and lots of telling people things they don't want to hear. Don't expect a lot of money.

That advice was applicable before the pandemic. It's much worse now. But hey, at least you'd be dealing with bikes. PM if you want any further advice.

Uncomfortable truth: in order to make a living as a rep, you need 1) a reliable car, 2) to travel locally a lot, and 3) have multiple brands that you are representing. If you want in on that @Not Rick , find someone who wants to retire (though they usually don't) and ask what they want from you for their territory.

As far as repping a national brand, consider: most shops can do pretty much everything a rep does--except getting favors--from their B2B website. If you don't have a concrete idea of how you are going to offer more than that, or how it can help their business (and your bottom line) to grow, run away.

If it's IT work or something else, I dunno, go for it. Just know that employment at bicycle companies is rarely what you'd consider a 'safe' job. The big ones clear house frequently enough that year-to-year, you may be talking to different people every time you call. Expect there to be a large culling of employees in a few years, too...everyone knows this boom won't last. Ask yourself: is whatever service I am providing to [xyz company] going to justify keeping me on?

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
I've rarely met factory or team riders that were 'nice'. The ones that were usually had handlers/coaching on how not to be a dick. I've met Jens Voigt in person, and he was nice, in as far as someone who has pretty much nothing in common with you is nice. Still, I'm going to bet if I had bumped into him in Red Bank, recognized who he was, and started trying to talk shop, he'd probably be pretty annoyed. But hey, wouldn't most of us?

Uncomfortable truth: in order to make a living as a rep, you need 1) a reliable car, 2) to travel locally a lot, and 3) have multiple brands that you are representing. If you want in on that @Not Rick , find someone who wants to retire (though they usually don't) and ask what they want from you for their territory.

As far as repping a national brand, consider: most shops can do pretty much everything a rep does--except getting favors--from their B2B website. If you don't have a concrete idea of how you are going to offer more than that, or how it can help their business (and your bottom line) to grow, run away.

If it's IT work or something else, I dunno, go for it. Just know that employment at bicycle companies is rarely what you'd consider a 'safe' job. The big ones clear house frequently enough that year-to-year, you may be talking to different people every time you call. Expect there to be a large culling of employees in a few years, too...everyone knows this boom won't last. Ask yourself: is whatever service I am providing to [xyz company] going to justify keeping me on?

I really appreciate the insight, the closest I'll get to sales is forecasting or w.e. their data needs are, I like how the role is structured and I'm moving on to the next round. I do have an offer coming in so depending on how long it takes to negotiate an offer or this process takes to materialize I might document this process.

Cassinonorth

Still, I'm going to bet if I had bumped into him in Red Bank, recognized who he was, and started trying to talk shop, he'd probably be pretty annoyed. But hey, wouldn't most of us?

Going to guess that happens once a year to him and it makes his week. Not even NHL players in NYC get noticed...forget about bike riders.

ebarker9

Sad, I've met dozens that were cool, and even ridden with them - but these were not MTB or Road pros with seat-posts wedged you know where ;)

I haven't met a ton of pros, but every single one who I have either met or seen interacting with fans has been "nice". Lenosky, Andrew Neethling, Neko M, Dak Norton, Gwin, Brendan Fairclough, Steve Smith, Jill Kintner, George Brannigan, Gee Atherton, etc. I'm sure there are exceptions.

cfrone1

Shop: Pops Bike Shop
Shop Keep
Simple...Specialized. I have been friends with/were friendly with a bunch of people that repped for them, and every single one of them got screwed. When I sold their product, they went from having great people there who would work with you very well, to getting rid of them and having people that could care less. They are the worst....

Top Bottom