What beer are you drinking RIGHT NOW?

It would seem that in todays social media world that percieved desirability is huge. When someone gets a hold of a Heady you know damn sure there is going to be a pic on FB to document it. If it were 1982 we would be buying Michelob or Heineken when we wanted a top shelf beer. Back then we didn't have the internet to tell us what beer we needed to buy, just the televsion and radio advertisements supplied the hype.

I think Founders is a good role model. They make beers that are readily available but also have KSB for snob/hype appeal.
The Alchemist has a good thing going as well. They stay small, produce top notch IPA and remain extremely successful.

Remember back in the 80s if you made the trip to canada, ya had to bring back some brador.
or going west meant getting some coors.
perhaps the actual Lowenbrau from germany would show up in the better stores. (miller was brewing it in the states)

but holy hell, bud was $2/6 mich was $2.50, and heini was $3.75.... or something like that. seems really expensive when you were 14...

My beer of choice at 14 was genesee cream ale until I shit my insides out. Low budget in my twentys and living in Pa. was without a doubt yenguling
As money got ok in my thirties it was German like spaten or dab or whatever right through the '90s. Through in molson xxx.

Thank you for basement Brewers very much. I could never touch another generic.

@pooriggy was drinking whatever was free in the early 80's. Followed up with some Greasy Tony's

We were such dirtbags. A lot of summer days were spent kicking $2 ea. to buy a keg of Pabst and hang out under a pkwy overhang in Roselle drinking. We had this old wooden ladder that we carried the keg on. The first hour of drinking yielded mostly foam.
Greasy Tony's wasn't until college.

My teen years were 40 oz of Olde E from the bottle and cork on 27 in Edison. I think they would have sold it to my 7 year old.

photo_zpsb09licfp.jpg

I'll give it a "Gee Whiz!", but not a "Holy Crap!"

Stopped by High Point brewery ( Ramstein ) and got 2 growlers of their Oktoberfest . The reviews are right - awesome beer . Also had a flight of 4 beers Dunkel Hefe-Weizen , Imperial Pilsner ( their hoppy beer -noble hops ) amber lager-nice "drinking" beer and the double platinum blonde weisbock which was excellent. They also had a sour beer - I forget if it was a Maibock or Eibock - 15 % beer which I had a glass of . Would be perfect sipping out by the firepit . That's it for the Oktoberfest for the season. Winter Wheat Doppelbock comes out next Saturday and I'll be there for it !.

If you've never stopped by the brewhaus , it's open for tasting 3- 7 Mon.-Fri. and 1-5 on Saturdays . Great little place with awesome beers and the staff is great .

Scary October!
And the Jets are looking good after a questionable 1st half.
IMG_3689.JPG

Back
Top Bottom