What are you cooking right now?

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Mrs Manic at the helm on this one-
Recipe called for baby bok Choy and shiitakes, had to adjust to criminis and adult bok choy.
We discussed how else to tweak it in the future, but it was as tasty as it was pretty
85F31EBD-15C6-41BA-9B99-0EBDA88BBBAB.jpeg

I of course bastardized it with a couple Italian hot links, will sub a miso tofu or similar next time.
22B87BBC-8A1E-4276-B745-EA5CF86AB9C8.jpeg

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Did @Karate Monkey start a Bread Thread?

Temps dipping into the low 50s last night can only mean 1 thing.
That sentence makes no sense. It could mean hundreds of things, and if I were Ryan Reynolds there would be an entertaining video.

Anyway - bread season is upon us. I'm going to try a fig sourdough. the fig harvest has been prolific this year.
Probably going to be 200+ by the time it is done.

Fed the starter a couple days ago. It fired right back up after being dormant for a couple months.
Gotta dehydrate the figs -
And do the easy - mixer rise knockdown rise bake method

1632493318150.png

1632493359979.png

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep

That sentence makes no sense. It could mean hundreds of things, and if I were Ryan Reynolds there would be an entertaining video.

Anyway - bread season is upon us. I'm going to try a fig sourdough. the fig harvest has been prolific this year.

Fed the starter a couple days ago. It fired right back up after being dormant for a couple months.

View attachment 167781

View attachment 167782
Here 's the best use of figs ever. Steal this from Luca's restaurant in Somerset.

"fresh figs / mascarpone / pine nuts / prosciutto / mango balsamic pearls"

Lucas_App.jpg

Patrick

Staff member
Here 's the best use of figs ever. Steal this from Luca's restaurant in Somerset.

"fresh figs / mascarpone / pine nuts / prosciutto / mango balsamic pearls"

View attachment 167784

Damn that looks tasty.
We do a prosciutto wrap and then grill them w/balsamic and shaved parm. def could toast some pignoles. (pinole?)
Never thought of mascarpone - now i gotta run out to the deli!!!

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
Damn that looks tasty.
We do a prosciutto wrap and then grill them w/balsamic and shaved parm. def could toast some pignoles. (pinole?)
Never thought of mascarpone - now i gotta run out to the deli!!!
Whenever we are there me and my son devour this app. My wife just tries to grab one or two before they're gone.

Karate Monkey

View attachment 167781

View attachment 167782

I haven't, but I've been doing not much but making sandwich bread/pizza dough. Sometimes 'monkey' bread, too. That one is super easy: make pizza dough (sub butter/shortening for oil--add sugar/honey, if desired), and let it rise twice, then fold it into a tight ball. Get a bundt pan (the fancier the better, but a 'normal' one is fine, too), then grease with butter/oil/whatever, and dust liberally with flour. Flip it over/knock off the excess onto your work area. Chop off pieces of dough about the size of a golf ball, roll tight, and dip them in melted butter (keep a small dish over a bowl/pot of hot water so it isn't scalding). Roll the balls in a mixture of cinnamon/powdered sugar, then toss into the bundt. Stop when you are a little over half way to the top, cover with a damp towel, and allow it to rise while the oven is preheating to 375ish. When you are about 1" below the rim of the pan, get a piece of parchment, and lay it over the top of the bundt pan; using a peel/cookie sheet/baking tray, flip the whole thing over, leaving the bundt pan on top. Place in the oven for ~35 minutes, checking the internal temperature passes 180. Once it does, remove from the oven, take the pan off, and allow it to cool. You can ice it if you want, but I don't.

I've put dried fruit in it, a la pannetone, and it comes out nicely. I prefer sweeter stuff like blueberries, strawberries, and raisins--add them in at the very end of the kneading with the mixer/by hand.

I think I'm fairly well done noodling with sourdough, at this point. It was a fun experiment, but it takes way too much time (not baby sitting, just overall). I spent a bit of time making milk-bread, which is interesting, but WAY too sweet for my liking. Even 1/2 the amount of sugar is too much. I'll try using the tangzhong in my normal recipe and seeing if it makes an appreciable difference as far as storage life, but 2 loaves don't usually make it to the end of the week, so...

Karate Monkey

The sweet of the figs in the Sourdough is awesome. Tied for top spot with my Olive sourdough.

View attachment 167888

I see enameled pots, and a griddle burner, so this is a stove. Dutch oven method? Do you spray water on top?

*edit* contribution: I had been using https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/pain-de-campagne-recipe this recipe the last 3 times I did sourdough. It seems like it shouldn't work, and the first time I was hesitant to throw the dough into a banneton in the fridge overnight. The first time using well-floured linen towels in bowls made me less leery. The second time, I used one banneton, but didn't quite flour it enough. The dough stuck, but it was salvageable. The third time, I maybe over-floured it, but it turned out slowly, but definitely. My starter is moderately powerful, and the dough never really 'took off' into a great mile-high loaf, but they came out acceptably risen/nice crumb.

Last edited:

Patrick

Staff member
I see enameled pots, and a griddle burner, so this is a stove. Dutch oven method? Do you spray water on top?

*edit* contribution: I had been using https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/pain-de-campagne-recipe this recipe the last 3 times I did sourdough. It seems like it shouldn't work, and the first time I was hesitant to throw the dough into a banneton in the fridge overnight. The first time using well-floured linen towels in bowls made me less leery. The second time, I used one banneton, but didn't quite flour it enough. The dough stuck, but it was salvageable. The third time, I maybe over-floured it, but it turned out slowly, but definitely. My starter is moderately powerful, and the dough never really 'took off' into a great mile-high loaf, but they came out acceptably risen/nice crumb.
My method is very close. Feed Wednesday for weekend bread. 4oz starter, 12 oz water, 20oz bread flour (I have not experimented with while wheat), 3/4oz salt in the stand mixer on low for 10 minutes. Drop on floured surface to shape. Drop in lightly oiled mixing bowl, cover with damp towel on counter for 18 hours or so. Pull out on counter mix in whatever, knock down, put in bowl wrapped in floured tea towel about 6 Hours. Drop in preheated Dutch oven lightly oiled, covered for 40 minutes. Uncover until instaread says 208.

I can try water on top. That would improve color.
Works well.

Last edited:

iman29

It seems all the bananas decided to throw themselves onto the counter after I left
For my ride this morning even tho they weren’t that ripe yet.

Nothing like coming down to the smell
Of the wifeys home made choc chip banana breads. They are like Lays potato chips bet you can’t eat just one.

E5B1BF4D-E5FA-4E2C-9B8A-16BC63B3CB5B.jpeg

iman29

I know not everyone is a ketchup with eggs fan but this is my go to post ride meal after every harder ride. Picked a good day to take off work and ride 50 miles but I was a little bonky the last 8.

3 scrambled eggs in the pan with bacon bits and Cheddah cheese on whatever bagel is around. Today it’s plain usually it’s an everything. Too lazy (and hungry) to toast it today.

50291562-DF57-4ADE-82B6-A2A670DDD2E3.jpeg

JDurk

I know not everyone is a ketchup with eggs fan but this is my go to post ride meal after every harder ride. Picked a good day to take off work and ride 50 miles but I was a little bonky the last 8.

3 scrambled eggs in the pan with bacon bits and Cheddah cheese on whatever bagel is around. Today it’s plain usually it’s an everything. Too lazy (and hungry) to toast it today.

View attachment 168547
I just threw up in my mouth.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's

View attachment 168547
BEC SPK FTW

Patrick

Staff member

View attachment 168547

-1 internets for not toasting bagel. The toaster works in parallel with the pan doing the eggs. no add'l time required.
-1 add'l internet for for the cut - if you put your thumb through the hole, it is easier to hold it steady :O
+1 internet for the ketchup pattern (and correct spelling of catsup)

iman29

-1 internets for not toasting bagel. The toaster works in parallel with the pan doing the eggs. no add'l time required.
-1 add'l internet for for the cut - if you put your thumb through the hole, it is easier to hold it steady :O
+1 internet for the ketchup pattern (and correct spelling of catsup)

Well instead of -1 for the cut I probably have -2 for the Thomas bagel in the bag. Precut.

And I know all too well about thumb cuts thanks for the reminder #numbthumb

D0114E99-A974-4130-9683-930C0B981E70.jpeg

Top Bottom