What are you cooking right now?

Two words for you: Alton Brown
Btw, he's posting on YouTube. Funny watching drunk AB trying to talk and cook at the same time while his wife made fun of him

i gotta find this - after he lost 100lbs, he probably gets lit quickly!

Beef Tenderloin - 5 hours Sous VIde @ 132. 10 minutes in the oven at 450. Nailed it.
You might remember that i get PSMO beef cuts from costco - google it, great way to get a bunch of great meals
out of a quality cut of meat.

1585527999642.png

Some home made straight and curly fries topped with truffle salt. mmmmm truffle salt. little beef drippings reduction going on the back.

1585528189892.png
1585528241109.png

Bought one of those really big pork loins at Costco. I cut into a few pieces to freeze.
any suggestions on what to do with it. Sometimes I just cut them into steaks out a rub on a grill. I’m looking for something different.
low and slow on the grill? Pan sear it, then roast? Id say it’s about 3 lbs.
looking for any suggestions. Even a great overnight marinade and I could make it Tom.
if you are adventurous try this, I bought the same ones at Costco 2 weeks back. It's better bone in and with the skin, but what isn't.

Beef Tenderloin - 5 hours Sous VIde @ 132. 10 minutes in the oven at 450. Nailed it.
You might remember that i get PSMO beef cuts from costco - google it, great way to get a bunch of great meals
out of a quality cut of meat.

View attachment 123571

Some home made straight and curly fries topped with truffle salt. mmmmm truffle salt. little beef drippings reduction going on the back.
Wive bought me a SV machine as a gift somettime back. I still havent even opened the box. I'm good with using the smoker for low and slow, but even with that, planning cooks means being home for a good while (dont babysit it, but dont really leave the house either with it on). Now with the SV machine, i'm seeing outrageously long cook times such that my first reaction is F*ck that, ain't nobody got time for that! But the reality is, right now, errbody got time for that so maybe its worth a second look. Any suggestions on what to start with? Any beginner SV recipes/cooks to get my feet wet?

Bought one of those really big pork loins at Costco. I cut into a few pieces to freeze.
any suggestions on what to do with it. Sometimes I just cut them into steaks out a rub on a grill. I’m looking for something different.
low and slow on the grill? Pan sear it, then roast? Id say it’s about 3 lbs.
looking for any suggestions. Even a great overnight marinade and I could make it Tom.
As you said, center cut pork chops are a great way to use that whole loin. You can get quite a few from the lean section in the middle. The dark meat end i will either smoke or cube for kabobs. The other end always becomes a low and slow roast on the smoker or whatever.

As you said, center cut pork chops are a great way to use that whole loin. You can get quite a few from the lean section in the middle. The dark meat end i will either smoke or cube for kabobs. The other end always becomes a low and slow roast on the smoker or whatever.
Whatever I did, it did not turn out great. Maybe I was expecting too much from pork, it’s not a rib eye. Seared the roast and then cooked it the oven for about 45min @350. 9t was ok at best. Not my best effort. We have a lot left over that will go into tacos and omelettes over the next few days.

Wive bought me a SV machine as a gift somettime back. I still havent even opened the box. I'm good with using the smoker for low and slow, but even with that, planning cooks means being home for a good while (dont babysit it, but dont really leave the house either with it on). Now with the SV machine, i'm seeing outrageously long cook times such that my first reaction is F*ck that, ain't nobody got time for that! But the reality is, right now, errbody got time for that so maybe its worth a second look. Any suggestions on what to start with? Any beginner SV recipes/cooks to get my feet wet?

i must agree, it takes some planning to make a meal with this thing!

the idea with the sv is to cook to a temperature (132 for med-rare on the tenderloin). some things will get weird if you leave them sitting at a certain temp (squid)
others will be just fine. I haven't tried anything that would need connective tissue broken down - like low-n-slow with the smoker.
The long cook times are to get the temp consistent through the whole piece - the tenderloin was frozen in the middle
but no biggie -

the weirdest part is taking a piece of meat out, and having it look "raw" cause it hasn't seen any high heat to crisp up the outside.
throw it on a hot grill for a minute per side to get some crispy ends.

fish comes out great. moist and flaky for the more delicate ones, and good texture for the denser versions (monkfish)
some spices and marinade can go in the bag.

no favorite recipes yet - plenty of stuff online. i haven't tried soft boiled eggs or 10 hour egg thing yet.
I think there is a way to get the egg that Oleg created a few posts back with just a specific temp.

a vac sealer helps, but not critical to success. just purge the air from the ziplock
anything with a fair amount of fat will float, so need to hold it under the water - or at least most of it, then rotate..

Good luck! report back.

Whatever I did, it did not turn out great. Maybe I was expecting too much from pork, it’s not a rib eye. Seared the roast and then cooked it the oven for about 45min @350. 9t was ok at best. Not my best effort. We have a lot left over that will go into tacos and omelettes over the next few days.
Pork loin isnt the most tender or inherently juicy/fatty cut so it can be troublesome to get good results every time. What i've learned over time smoking meats low and slow is that first and foremost, we cook to temp via meat *probe*, not time and meat is done when probe hits target temp, not an arbitrary cookbook time. Get yourself a *quality* digital remote probe if you dont already have one. The Weber ones are good and have a blutooth connection and app for cook tracking. ThermoWorks is another excellent brand with many price point options. Second, we need to maximize connective tissue breakdown as much as possible for the duration of the cook while mitigating moisture loss. This part is more difficult with shorter cooks like for pork but still can be applied.

When i cook a pork loin, i don't ever really sear it, it doesn't seem to aid much IMHO. Brining it may have more of a positive effect if you're keen on doing any sort of pre-roasting step. Cooking low and slow at 225-250*F is key there. Meat will cook more uniformly edge to edge and cook time will be longer to promote more connective tissue breakdown (but still not much for this cut). Cooking pork to 145*F internal pink color, not the old school 165*F incineration that our parents did back in the day is key to retaining whatever moisture is in this cut. I usually Cook to 140*F internal, then pull from oven/smoker, tightly wrap in foil, tightly wrap in a towel, then put in a cooler as a makeshift Cambro and let it rest for 20 mins. The loin will continue to rise in temp to 145* target and the juices will be retained in the roast as the muscle fibers relax. If you just pull, slice and eat after cooking, the meat will be very tight and tough feeling and will release all the juices on the cutting board rather than retain in the roast. This is about the best you can do for loin, basically, cook very low and slow, dont overcook and let rest at the end. Maybe you can try this out on another roast if you still have any left.

if you are adventurous try this, I bought the same ones at Costco 2 weeks back. It's better bone in and with the skin, but what isn't.

Looks like Polish golonka. Love that stuff. Bratek deli in Garfield has them sometimes for their hot take out dinners and is not bad. Prague had the best one I ever had at Restaurace Mincovna. It's called koleno there. Probably have some cheap tickets now.

Had some Thin Chicken Breasts in the fridge so I decided to make some cutlets last night.

IMG_1048.jpeg

Steamed up some Asparagus and made a little pepper onion feta balsamic deal to dress up the sandwich.

IMG_1049.jpeg

Does reheating yesterday's bagels count from the start of quarantine?

IMG_0999.jpeg

So I decided to crack the seal on the sous vide machine and give it a go. We defrosted some tenderloins and, with the rainy weather, they were prime candidate for boiling some meat! ? Vac sealed with a Harry Soo's beef rub, pat of butter and splash of leftover Pinot. 125 for an hour, then seared both sides. Came out a solid and even mid-rare and the flavor infusion from the bag was very pronounced and delicious! Was perfect for a dreary rainy day like yesterday. I bet a nice thick cut chop would be good like this too.

IMG_3333.jpg

So I decided to crack the seal on the sous vide machine and give it a go. We defrosted some tenderloins and, with the rainy weather, they were prime candidate for boiling some meat! ? Vac sealed with a Harry Soo's beef rub, pat of butter and splash of leftover Pinot. 125 for an hour, then seared both sides. Came out a solid and even mid-rare and the flavor infusion from the bag was very pronounced and delicious! Was perfect for a dreary rainy day like yesterday. I bet a nice thick cut chop would be good like this too.

View attachment 123714

nice 10&2 on the grill lines!

Back
Top Bottom