What are you cooking right now?

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Found a jar of this our neighbors had given us:
It is currently being put on urrrrrything.

JonF

Found a jar of this our neighbors had given us:
It is currently being put on urrrrrything.
looks like hot chopped (aka hoagie spread for you south jersey peeps). Definitely addictive!

ilnadi

Not sure i'm sold on SV for larger cuts like roasts, the cook Time needed is absurdly high. In SV cooking, time spent in the temperature "danger zone" during the cook is rather long--much longer than other forms of cooking and you dont have a higher temp heat environment to isolate it. Though you do have a water bath and plastic membrane as a barrier... Still i haven't seen any discussion of that aspect yet so im still wary. I couldnt imagine doing a 36 hour pork butt or something huge like that!
there are articles about time vs temperature.
this one has a safety temp vs time table
this one takes mass and shape into account (for temp penetration)
my non-medical take: not much will survive marinate in fridge then cook at 138 (our family's preference) for 10 hours.

3-lb roast for 10 hours is really not that bad. Plus you get sauce that can only be done over time. you vacuum pack one morning with herbs & stuff, throw it in at breakfast the next day, it is ready for dinner. Before I got the container with lid, I'd' have to add wake every few hours, now not even that.

there is an 18-hr brisket recipe I'm gong to try if shoprite delivers brisket to the house

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
looks like hot chopped (aka hoagie spread for you south jersey peeps). Definitely addictive!
I have not had that (I'm a mushrooms, onions, provolone and hot sauce dude)
Is the hot chopped crunchy? All the solids are roasted and crunchy,
and if you don't like the taste of roasted garlic (you're broken) and this condiment is not for you.

JonF

I have not had that (I'm a mushrooms, onions, provolone and hot sauce dude)
Is the hot chopped crunchy? All the solids are roasted and crunchy,
and if you don't like the taste of roasted garlic (you're broken) and this condiment is not for you.
If you're in the store, check for B&G Hot Chopped peppers--its the best brand of it (dont get the Cento brand--too little flavor). Its basically (mildly) hot green and red cherry peppers (like the kind they make shooters with) chopped and marinated. Its tangy and a little bit spicy but not really crunchy at all. Great on a hoagie or a grilled brat! I like the sound of the one you linked to, the texture sounds intruguing-- i'll have to try it out.

rlb

Damn my oven looks bad in that pic. Just cleaned it not that long ago, I swear!

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
carmine's bolognese.

Start with something frenchy - and some home made italian sausage and ground beef.

1586049578221.png

Get some garlic rockin' cause this ain't france.

1586049637647.png

mix vigourously.

1586049686235.png

add red wine, and some diced tomatoes.

1586049752837.png

Wasn't enough tomato for me. will add more next time. But it did taste good
over pappardelle. Didn't have any Italian wine to pair, but that is ok, i'm sure
this came from the far north-west corner of italy, tho credited to Bologna.

1586049915715.png

Top Bottom