Wawayanda State Park Conditions

Hey Pete, do you know why they cut down all those trees by the lake and furnace?
They are Ash and got the bug and they feel they are dangerous to park goers.
The wood is available to the public with a park permit $25 a cord. Call the office.
I think they could have left them standing, but the state is paying and they felt they were a danger.

From what I've read, it's basically been "accepted" that those trees will no longer exist in NJ. There was a bunch marked in very bright paint at Allamuchy by the Dean Eberling trail.

From what I've read, it's basically been "accepted" that those trees will no longer exist in NJ. There was a bunch marked in very bright paint at Allamuchy by the Dean Eberling trail.

i have a friend in-the-business. taking them down as fast as they can wherever they are a threat.

Hmmm, they're all dead trees or do they want the wood burned to kill the beetles?
There are different opinions regarding if the trees should be moved; the beetles are spread by humans moving the trees/wood (the beetles are not strong flyers). The risk is that the trees die from the top of the canopy down which increases the risk of death to humans via falling branches from great heights. Here is a good article on this subject,..

There are different opinions regarding if the trees should be moved; the beetles are spread by humans moving the trees/wood (the beetles are not strong flyers). The risk is that the trees die from the top of the canopy down which increases the risk of death to humans via falling branches from great heights. Here is a good article on this subject,..

Based on that article selling the chopped tree as firewood to the public is exactly what they should not do.

Based on that article selling the chopped tree as firewood to the public is exactly what they should not do.
Agreed. Not sure what the logic is here. Perhaps they think the entire area is so infested; that the if locals burn the trees there will be no impact.

Agreed. Not sure what the logic is here. Perhaps they think the entire area is so infested; that the if locals burn the trees there will be no impact.
I had a tree infested with black knot when we bought our house, it's a easy spreading fungus that attacks cheeries, plums, aprocots etc. It took me a while to burn the whole tree in my 'well' shaped barbecue...

well.jpg

I went looking for some snowmobile tracks this morning.
Someone did the Iron Mt/Waway road loop, but it was just one rider and it wasn't good enough for me.
Maybe with the fat bike though. I found walking on it I broke through at times. We need a few more passes/riders.
The park roads go from all ice to sloppy snow ruts to just fine.
One spot by the beach area
Dsc05686.jpg

Iron Mt
Dsc05690.jpg

Dsc05689.jpg

Dsc05691.jpg

I did Iron Mountain to Waywayanda Road to Hofferlin to the Ranger station today, and then the road back to the west gate . Iron Mountain/Waywayanda road was tough going. I was using a combination of the sled tracks, and tracks left by a few XC skiers that were leaving the trail as I entered. It was pretty much like riding a never ending skinny, cause if you got off line or dabbed, you'd sink in about a foot deep or so. Climbing was pretty rough, the downhills were fun as hell, though on one of them the front wheel randomly sunk axle deep and tossed me off..lol. Hofferlin was a different story, as it looked like someone had made some attempt at packing it down, and it had seen more XC ski traffic as well. Someone had hiked it though , leaving deep footprints , which made staying on line just as tough as it was on Iron Mountain, even though it was riding much faster and easier. All in all it was a hell of a workout, a fun ride, but will be much better once it gets colder, and more packed down. Lets hope for more traffic in the days to come. The rest of the park is a mess though. They did very little plowing, the lot by the brook that leads up to furnace, is untouched, as is that entire section of road. The lots by the beach, and boat house, are plowed to only about half capacity, and no attempt was made to clear anything past the lot. There were no sled tracks anywhere other than Iron Mountain, that I could find, so no real clear pathway into the single track, at least not the I could find. Might be a different story on Ferber side of the park though, seeing in increase in motorized traffic i've noticed coming in from that end of late.

Last edited:
I did Iron Mountain to Waywayanda Road to Hofferlin to the Ranger station today, and then the road back to the west gate . Iron Mountain/Waywayanda road was tough going. I was using a combination of the sled tracks, and tracks left by a few XC skiers that were leaving the trail as I entered. It was pretty much like riding a never ending skinny, cause if you got off line or dabbed, you'd sink in about a foot deep or so. Climbing was pretty rough, the downhills were fun as hell, though on one of them the front wheel randomly sunk axle deep and tossed me off..lol. Hofferlin was a different story, as it looked like someone had made some attempt at packing it down, and it had seen more XC ski traffic as well. Someone had hiked it though , leaving deep footprints , which made staying on line just as tough as it was on Iron Mountain, even though it was riding much faster and easier. All in all it was a hell of a workout, a fun ride, but will be much better once it gets colder, and more packed down. Lets hope for more traffic in the days to come. The rest of the park is a mess though. They did very little plowing, the lot by the brook that leads up to furnace, is untouched, as is that entire section of road. The lots by the beach, and boat house, are plowed to only about half capacity, and no attempt was made to clear anything past the lot. There were no sled tracks anywhere other than Iron Mountain, that I could find, so no real clear pathway into the single track, at least not the I could find. Might be a different story on Ferber side of the park though, seeing in increase in motorized traffic i've noticed coming in from that end of late.
Wow, good job! The Hoeferlin was packed down by 3 snowshoe folks yesterday. I'm glad it was you and not me on that loop.

Finally some trails to ride today. From the boat launch you can get on snowmobile tracks that go down to the furnace and up Laurel trail. This I did, until I ran out of energy up Laurel. Great riding conditions, especially if you have the power to do it. I obviously don't have what it takes, but I still did pretty good for myself and had a great time. Steller conditions though!. 10 miles was all I had in me and quit early. Groomed trails have about 4-5 inches of snow, ungroomed looks like about 18 inches. Hard packed snowmobile tracks about 1 inch

Dsc05715.jpg
Dsc05718.jpg
Dsc05719.jpg

Got in a short one yesterday out pumphouse to the rock bridge where the snowmobiles turn around. It was ok in a can you make it sort of way but unrideable off the bile track. Went down by the lake to check laurel and double pond, but the loggers tore up that zone with their skidders.

It was good to get out, but trail inventory is low at this time. If only there was some way to groom the trails so they would be rideable during the winter months.

If only there was some way to groom the trails so they would be rideable during the winter months.
This is what they use in PA state forests. This one came up behind us yesterday and after it passed, the surface was butter smooth (though interestingly it didn’t pack things down as firmly as I thought it would so climbing was still a challenge in the soft areas).
B51C1ABF-F905-4613-9A74-8F05BB89EAF9.jpeg

I took down more of that tree laying across Laural Pond this afternoon. It's now totally passable without having to duck !

Attachments

• IMG_20210217_135352546_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210217_135352546_HDR.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_20210217_132326725_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210217_132326725_HDR.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_20210217_134241119_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210217_134241119_HDR.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_20210217_135223574_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210217_135223574_HDR.jpg