Wawayanda State Park Conditions

Russian bots really are everywhere huh
More Fake news!
Dsc05297.jpg

Last edited:
There are some branches/ small trees, down on the bottom of Black Eagle. I cleared a bunch of it by hand, but there is one that needs to be cut up to clear it completely. A small hand saw will do the job, just didn't have one with me this afternoon .

There are some branches/ small trees, down on the bottom of Black Eagle. I cleared a bunch of it by hand, but there is one that needs to be cut up to clear it completely. A small hand saw will do the job, just didn't have one with me this afternoon .
All gone now, thanks for reporting it.
Laurel Pond trail has a big pine down across it not far from the furnace.
The park crew said they would remove it today.

Park reopened at 2PM today because of the big snow. Parking by office only, road is closed.
This is a VERY slick snow! My studded tires aren't much help because the snow packs in making studs useless.
They're only good on ice. There was a snowmobile running around, but I couldn't ride in his tracks, it was too soft & slick.
I stayed on the roads and did about 6 miles. All access to trails and fire roads are too hard to get to, blocked with snow.
A couple snowshoes went through, only two I think.
Dsc05480.jpg
Dsc05481.jpg

lol. You hardly got any snow. Heck, i barely got any snow. But north and west of scranton...wow. No offroad bike riding for month or two.

Park reopened at 2PM today because of the big snow. Parking by office only, road is closed.
This is a VERY slick snow! My studded tires aren't much help because the snow packs in making studs useless.
They're only good on ice. There was a snowmobile running around, but I couldn't ride in his tracks, it was too soft & slick.
I stayed on the roads and did about 6 miles. All access to trails and fire roads are too hard to get to, blocked with snow.
A couple snowshoes went through, only two I think.View attachment 145525View attachment 145526

What trails do you recommend for snow biking here? Thinking of hitting the park up next week.

Ok let's assume the trails are packed down over the weekend. Any specific trails to avoid? Sorry if this has already been discussed somewhere, I just haven't found any winter specific suggestions.

Ok let's assume the trails are packed down over the weekend. Any specific trails to avoid? Sorry if this has already been discussed somewhere, I just haven't found any winter specific suggestions.
Not all trails are popular to packer downers, the most popular are:
Hoeferlin, by the office.
Iron mountain for snowmobilers
Laurel tr by the furnace
sometimes Black Eagle off of Hoeferlin.

I got around 12 miles in today. The single track I rode was mostly dry/frozen, with the occasional random puddle, or water flow crossing the trail. The water crossings are WAY deep though on South End, and the whole area by the rock bridge on Pumphouse is flooded. The double track...pretty much everywhere...looks just like Pete's pics. Where it's not frozen puddles, it's running water. There were more than a few blowdowns And random branches down, which I tossed aside, or dragged off the trail. Except for this one....not to far into South end after the intersection with Sitting Bear.

Attachments

• IMG_20201226_105635361_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20201226_105635361_HDR.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 91
I got around 12 miles in today. The single track I rode was mostly dry/frozen, with the occasional random puddle, or water flow crossing the trail. The water crossings are WAY deep though on South End, and the whole area by the rock bridge on Pumphouse is flooded. The double track...pretty much everywhere...looks just like Pete's pics. Where it's not frozen puddles, it's running water. There were more than a few blowdowns And random branches down, which I tossed aside, or dragged off the trail. Except for this one....not to far into South end after the intersection with Sitting Bear.
Looks like perfect for one of my stunts...also try not to get that branch in your wheel or derailleur!

Rode my neighborhood trails and the Wildcat loop yesterday. 99% rideable and in surprisingly good shape. With the exception of the usual wet spots (Pete's photos) Wawayanda is in good shape for riding.

As long as the ground stays frozen...

Yes, most trails are good, I just posted the wet spots I ride. My friend Chris said most trails are good, except every trail he rode had a tree down across it. Like Sitting Bear, South End.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions