Wawayanda State Park Conditions

If you want to try Waywayanda on Monday I might be able to help. There are some less demanding trails I could show you, but I'm not sure if I'd call it "flow".

An alternative to Waywayanda would be Kittatinny, only about 35min west, which is a bit less techy, or Stewart State forrest about 50min further north into NY state.

If you want to try Waywayanda on Monday I might be able to help. There are some less demanding trails I could show you, but I'm not sure if I'd call it "flow".

An alternative to Waywayanda would be Kittatinny, only about 35min west, which is a bit less techy, or Stewart State forrest about 50min further north into NY state.

Wow, that'd be cool, I'd just hate to slow you down too much and/or take up too much of your time. Don't get me wrong, I'm in ok shape (down 25+ pounds from when I got back into riding 6 months ago, I'm now around 210) and my endurance levels are pretty high, but, that's down here in the flats of south jersey.

Would the morning be ok? What time is best for you?

The other suggestions are interesting but Allaire is literally on the way home and I could possibly hit that too, why not.

Much appreciated!

-kj-

Morning would be fine. 9 or 10ish work for you ? Pace isn't really important to me. I'm easy like that. I'll adjust to whatever works for you. The trails sort of dictate the pace up here, depending on what we end up riding. It's more about having a fun ride, and showing you what the park has to offer.

Morning would be fine. 9 or 10ish work for you ? Pace isn't really important to me. I'm easy like that. I'll adjust to whatever works for you. The trails sort of dictate the pace up here, depending on what we end up riding. It's more about having a fun ride, and showing you what the park has to offer.

Outstanding! Yes please, a start around that time is just fine. I'm overnighting in Vernon so I'll have time to grab some breakfast and whatnot. Really appreciate this! I'll PM you my cell.

Whatever you guys decide, maybe I'll tag along if it isn't too rough. 🤪

Works for me, see you Monday! Thanks again!

-kj-

That lot is fine. Going to park by the Barry Lakes gate if I'm able. I'll ride down to the beach lot.

I’m here at the Barry Lakes gate with Kaleidopete, see you soon!

Attachments

• 8E67FFAD-43DE-450A-BF88-96072E4E2710.jpeg
    8E67FFAD-43DE-450A-BF88-96072E4E2710.jpeg
    173.1 KB · Views: 97
It was a nice ride. Pete schooled me on some trails I'd never ridden before, which was awesome. I love being so close to a park that's so big, that after 10 years of riding it, I'm still finding, or being shown, new to me trails. I hope @kjarrett enjoyed the park, as much as Pete and I enjoyed showing him.

IMG_5059.jpg

Grateful that the Internet has created or facilitated communities like mtbnj.com - making possible connections like today's.

Thank you BOTH for today, it was FANTASTIC, for me at least - exactly what I'd hoped for, I didn't die, and my bike survived, too. (There doesn't yet appear to be any permanent damage due to my encounter with a Derailleur Remover 3000.) I can now officially consider my vintage MTB "trail ready". The rider, however, isn't quite there and still needs some work. ;-)

Wawayanda was beautiful (I have more pics, should I just dump them in this thread?) I never seem to get many pics when I'm riding. I'm either enjoying the scenery too much to stop OR I'm getting slaughtered on a climb (or playing Hike-a-Bike). Either way, take out the phone and snap a pic? Nah. In the case above (told you this pic was going to be magazine-worthy!) I was sitting ON MY ASS IN THE DIRT near the end of the ride, Pete had decided this was a turnaround point (you can tell because I'm in FRONT of them not BEHIND as I was all day, lol.)

I could never have ridden Wawayanda (safely or as enjoyably) without guides as capable as you two. I enjoyed meeting you, our conversation, and everything else! My wife also says "thank you" for ensuring I did not die or get lost in the forest...

I am reminded that what I do is really just "riding a bike in the woods near my house," absolutely -NOT- "mountain biking." THIS IS MOUNTAIN BIKING (and it was beginner-level stuff - lots of doubletrack, a tiny bit of climbing, and virtually no tech. I consider myself in fairly decent shape, or I did - just wasn't aware that when it comes to biking, "in shape" is geographically qualified. I can ride for 2-3 hours down here in the trails I frequent with no problem. Head up into the hills? Uh ... not so much.

It's all good, I ride for exercise and to get outside, and to meet cool folks like you two.

Thanks again, safe travels, maybe our paths will cross again sometime.

Peace, kj

View attachment 138410

Grateful that the Internet has created or facilitated communities like mtbnj.com - making possible connections like today's.

Thank you BOTH for today, it was FANTASTIC, for me at least - exactly what I'd hoped for, I didn't die, and my bike survived, too. (There doesn't yet appear to be any permanent damage due to my encounter with a Derailleur Remover 3000.) I can now officially consider my vintage MTB "trail ready". The rider, however, isn't quite there and still needs some work. ;-)

Wawayanda was beautiful (I have more pics, should I just dump them in this thread?) I never seem to get many pics when I'm riding. I'm either enjoying the scenery too much to stop OR I'm getting slaughtered on a climb (or playing Hike-a-Bike). Either way, take out the phone and snap a pic? Nah. In the case above (told you this pic was going to be magazine-worthy!) I was sitting ON MY ASS IN THE DIRT near the end of the ride, Pete had decided this was a turnaround point (you can tell because I'm in FRONT of them not BEHIND as I was all day, lol.)

I could never have ridden Wawayanda (safely or as enjoyably) without guides as capable as you two. I enjoyed meeting you, our conversation, and everything else! My wife also says "thank you" for ensuring I did not die or get lost in the forest...

I am reminded that what I do is really just "riding a bike in the woods near my house," absolutely -NOT- "mountain biking." THIS IS MOUNTAIN BIKING (and it was beginner-level stuff - lots of doubletrack, a tiny bit of climbing, and virtually no tech. I consider myself in fairly decent shape, or I did - just wasn't aware that when it comes to biking, "in shape" is geographically qualified. I can ride for 2-3 hours down here in the trails I frequent with no problem. Head up into the hills? Uh ... not so much.

It's all good, I ride for exercise and to get outside, and to meet cool folks like you two.

Peace, kj

Good to hear this was a successful ride! So much to explore in NJ.

View attachment 138410

Peace, kj
Thanks for the kind words and getting out there with us today. It was fun to show you some of what Wawayanda has to offer.
We did about 11 miles and the park has over 60 miles of trails within 35000 acres. Plenty of fun to be had here. You did great, with no complaining and a positive attitude ( which Wawa can destroy quickly) I never ride with others and this was a nice change for me. Anytime you want more, let me know.
Pete

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions