Wawayanda State Park Conditions

Nice job o cuttin. You gotta love the quadtard who only cut it out to quad size so forest fire and rescue peeps can’t get thru. The irony is that when a rescue is needed it will in all likelihood be for a drunk quadtard.

Also can’t help but think of the 100 or so slednecks who squeezed through that opening and not a damn one of em could bring a little saw and make things a little better.

BTW, there is a thread for downed tree intel.

Thanks...but I'm not all about dissing the sled guys, as without them packing the trails, most of them would be unrideable. They are legal in the park during the winter, so they have every right to be back there as I do. I pack my Silky for most rides, but don't expect everyone to do so, though it certainly would be nice. As for the quads....didn't see any evidence of them where I rode yesterday, so I'm not sure who made the first cut before me,but I've certainly seen them back there other times. No, I'm not happy to see them when I do, as they aren't supposed to be back there, but without consistent enforcement, the situation is what it is.

Nice job o cuttin. You gotta love the quadtard who only cut it out to quad size so forest fire and rescue peeps can’t get thru. The irony is that when a rescue is needed it will in all likelihood be for a drunk quadtard.

Also can’t help but think of the 100 or so slednecks who squeezed through that opening and not a damn one of em could bring a little saw and make things a little better.

BTW, there is a thread for downed tree intel.
If that's the case, you'll be calling a lot of people biketards here.

The fact of the matter is, that most folks don't carry the sort of equipment nessassary for cutting a path big enough for an emergency vehicle to get through, nor, in my opinion , should they. You clear the minimum amount to allow other trail users to safely pass, and leave it at that. There can be a fine line between trail clearing, and trail sanitation, and personally, I'll leave those decisions to the designated trail maintenance organizations , or park personel.

Uh oh, looks like I’m about to get doxed here. Not trying to belittle any user group regardless of their mental capacity. Yes, it is good that other conveyances have packed down the trails. No, it is not cool to ride trails illegally with a quad and then use your chainsaw to cut out blockages to quad size. Sanitization is not an issue on fire roads. Full size vehicle access is.

without consistent enforcement, the situation is what it is.

Is there any enforcement? Serious question. I never hear about quadtards (I like it!) getting their quads impounded or whatever. No issue with snowmobiles. They don't ruin the trails.

Is there any enforcement? Serious question. I never hear about quadtards (I like it!) getting their quads impounded or whatever. No issue with snowmobiles. They don't ruin the trails.
Quads usually can't be caught, unless they break down.

Last summer, the rangers, combined with local PD, were chasing a large group of them around the Highland, and Barry lakes communities, that surround the park. During covid there was an increase of moto traffic in the park, which spread out into the bordering neighborhoods, which prompted them to action. But once that died down, enforcement been back to zero. Like Pete said though, chances of chasing them down through the woods and being successful are pretty slim. They would have to identify where they are coming in, and sit there waiting to try and snag them. I just can't see the park management doing this, without being pressured by the public, or higher authorities.

Last edited:
Uh oh, looks like I’m about to get doxed here. Not trying to belittle any user group regardless of their mental capacity. Yes, it is good that other conveyances have packed down the trails. No, it is not cool to ride trails illegally with a quad and then use your chainsaw to cut out blockages to quad size. Sanitization is not an issue on fire roads. Full size vehicle access is.
I think we're on the same page about the quads, just not sure we need to be so dicky about it, or that mental capacity, one way or the other, has much to do about the problem. Nor does it do anything to fix the situation. That particular tree had not been chainsawed by anyone. I cut the bulk of it with my hand saw, and could see no evidence of any power saw useage at all. I think whoever cut the first branch, gave up, cause it wasn't some dry rotted, half dead tree. It was green wood, and took effort to cut. I don't think anyone is riding around with a chainsaw tied to thier sled or quad, just to play around in the snow. My understanding is that the park is responsible the big stuff on the roads, and JORBA/Black Bear/ NJNY trail conference takes care of the single track.

Last edited:
I developed an appreciation for the snowmobile riders here in Ringwood, there seem to be a couple that were parking their trucks at Shepherd's pond daily so I assumed they are legal...regardless, after trying to ride a foot of unpacked snow in December riding a well groomed fire road on the fat bike is quite pleasant!

Couldn't ride Laurel today with the fresh snow, the fun return wasn't worth the effort.
Still had a great ride in slippery snow.
Dsc05755.jpg
Dsc05756.jpg
Dsc05759.jpg

I think we're on the same page about the quads, just not sure we need to be so dicky about it, or that mental capacity, one way or the other, has much to do about the problem. Nor does it do anything to fix the situation. That particular tree had not been chainsawed by anyone. I cut the bulk of it with my hand saw, and could see no evidence of any power saw useage at all. I think whoever cut the first branch, gave up, cause it wasn't some dry rotted, half dead tree. It was green wood, and took effort to cut. I don't think anyone is riding around with a chainsaw tied to thier sled or quad, just to play around in the snow. My understanding is that the park is responsible the big stuff on the roads, and JORBA/Black Bear/ NJNY trail conference takes care of the single track.
I’ve spent my entire life in the woods (look me up on wiki) and can read the ground like a book. That green maple (some of the easiest cutting wood) got cut back in the fall. I saw the chips from the chainsaw and the roost from the quadist where he continued on his moonlit rip through the park.

Facts are facts. You can take passive aggressive shots at me all day but the fact remains, I was nice enough to yield to you near the top of laurel (while you were descending) so you could go get some pics of your new folder in action.

I’ve spent my entire life in the woods (look me up on wiki) and can read the ground like a book. That green maple (some of the easiest cutting wood) got cut back in the fall. I saw the chips from the chainsaw and the roost from the quadist where he continued on his moonlit rip through the park.

Facts are facts. You can take passive aggressive shots at me all day but the fact remains, I was nice enough to yield to you near the top of laurel (while you were descending) so you could go get some pics of your new folder in action.
What I’m about to say may sound passive aggressive, but isn’t it a little bit too cold for a Florida swamp creature (according to Wikipedia, with all due respect) to be out and about in the NJ woods during the winter?

But seriously, since the fall you had all the time to clear that downed tree yourself if you felt it was an obstacle to emergency vehicle trying to pass. You didn’t have to, and you didn’t, but the passive aggressive jab at @mtbiker87 for actually clearing it and taking the pictures of his work (I am myself the proud owner of a silky saw and I can confirm they don’t just do the job by themselves) after your moment of niceness seems a little harsh.

Can we try and be nice consistently at least around the activity that we all love here?

You’ll hear repeated cries here of “call the cawps” “call the cawps”! My experience has been that the guys out casually cruising around on the $15k motorized couches with no thought or concern about legality ARE the cops. Off duty, of course.

What I’m about to say may sound passive aggressive, but isn’t it a little bit too cold for a Florida swamp creature (according to Wikipedia, with all due respect) to be out and about in the NJ woods during the winter?

But seriously, since the fall you had all the time to clear that downed tree yourself if you felt it was an obstacle to emergency vehicle trying to pass. You didn’t have to, and you didn’t, but the passive aggressive jab at @mtbiker87 for actually clearing it and taking the pictures of his work (I am myself the proud owner of a silky saw and I can confirm they don’t just do the job by themselves) after your moment of niceness seems a little harsh.

Can we try and be nice consistently at least around the activity that we all love here?
If you knew the trail or the tree in question it would be obvious this one is not hand saw material and it is still a long way from cleared. Mtbiker took out some overhead stuff that wasn’t a problem before we had an 18 inch snowpack. The irony of the Twain quote there is delicious.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions