Wawayanda Down Trees - Intel? Crowd Sourcing Your Observations...

Kaleidopete

I knocked out a couple of 4-5 inch logs that were blocking Plymouth with my hand chain saw. There are two more left that I should be able to knock out this weekend.

Hoff has two new large rotten trees down toward the double pond side to go with the one that has been down for some time. Given how rotten they are I may take a crack at them with the hand chain saw just to see what the limit of this thing is. So far I have been pretty impressed with its cutting power.

@Kaleidopete safe to assume you cut the branches off the downed tree by the top of the climb on Hof from the ranger station? Seems like there are three more cuts to make there. Again these seem small enough that I can do them with the hand chains saw.

I will be out on Sunday morning early I think and will report back. Hope to be able to say Hof from Ranger all the way to Banker is clear. I may be a little to ambitious.
That wasn't me, I don't go that way to often. Thanks for the work though.

Off The Road Again

I'd go a step further and argue that driving your car on NJ public roads to get to Wawayanda is more dangerous than riding bikes in Wawayanda.

There's nothing exceedingly dangerous about either Split Rock or The Wall. I'm sure the park just had to say those things to cover themselves in the unfortunate event that someone happens to get hurt out there.
True, driving on the roads is more dangerous than riding. I haven't ridden either of them in awhile, but I don't remember The Wall as being difficult. SplitRock has some sketchy stuff but overall no more dangerous than any other trail there. I've had a bunch of friends that got hurt at 6 Mile!

Skunkape

I cut out the blockage mid way up hoff but the big stuff remains. Also got the one on Plymouth as well as the one on top of timber and south end where it joins timber. Most trails are getting back in decent shape but red dot is another story. The sawyers who head out that way better remember to bring one thing. A good supply of body bags!

Kaleidopete

Red Dot has lots of down trees, starting by Twin Bridges.
Dsc04891.jpg
Dsc04892.jpg

Last edited:

Kaleidopete

Twin Bridges trail is all good EXCEPT for one medium size tree ascoss the trail about halfway into the trail.
It's a lift over, about 14" thick and 12" off the ground.

Robin

Should have checked this before heading out. Red Dot trail is a war zone.

Everything else I rode was great (Porcupine, Rockadendron, the Wall, Sitting Bear, White trail, and Hemlock).

Skunkape

I was pleased to see opinion of one tracker and others here was that it would be best to leave most of the deadfall on pickle. Guess somebody didn’t get the memo because they cut out everything on that trail including log overs that had been in place for a decade. Not stoked to see the constant attempts to avoid tech and make the trails easier.

Skunkape

Paging kaleidopete. 2 dead beeches on banker between Plymouth and your hood. Didn’t have time yesterday so take a shot of geritol and Let the chips fly!

Skunkape

I like to boom-boom with hand saw as much as the next guy, but this one is too god damn beaucoup. About halfway through Plymouth. Another big one near the top of red dot not pictured.

Attachments

• 7080ED5D-0FA7-4876-B54A-C8F3E83B7FB8.jpeg
    7080ED5D-0FA7-4876-B54A-C8F3E83B7FB8.jpeg
    130.2 KB · Views: 134

Kaleidopete

Wee Bear trail by the furnace is a disaster with brush and trees from the tree workers in the area,
a lot of the trail look like this with branches, I don't think they knew this was a trail.
Dsc05854.jpg

Skunkape

Big red on the sunny side of red dot. Rocks are well arranged to roll it on the climb and send it on the down. I vote to keep this one but forest service might want it gone.
99DAB782-25A4-433E-9704-88B32D273722.jpeg

jimf

Wee Bear trail by the furnace is a disaster with brush and trees from the tree workers in the area,
a lot of the trail look like this with branches, I don't think they knew this was a trail.
View attachment 154249
The efforts to deal with the Ash trees has done some damage I think it will do some more before they are done. I spoke to a ranger and he mentioned they are taking all the Ash trees out, even if they are not infested. Seems like the program is a full surrender to the beetles that are destroying the trees.

I like how the name Wee Bear stuck. I named that thinking we had Sitting Bear and Little Bear and Wee Bears porridge or singletrack was just right. Something like that.

Kaleidopete

The efforts to deal with the Ash trees has done some damage I think it will do some more before they are done. I spoke to a ranger and he mentioned they are taking all the Ash trees out, even if they are not infested. Seems like the program is a full surrender to the beetles that are destroying the trees.

I like how the name Wee Bear stuck. I named that thinking we had Sitting Bear and Little Bear and Wee Bears porridge or singletrack was just right. Something like that.
Ha ha, I didn't know it was named wee bear when I listed it on Trailforks, then it came up as that and I removed my name listing.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions