Wawayanda Down Trees - Intel? Crowd Sourcing Your Observations...

Big blowdown on Wall trail closer to the Cherry Ridge Rd end (not Ferber Circle). It's in the middle of that fun little rock garden that runs alongside the rock wall. There are some logs/sticks piled up to get over it, but probably should be cut. Way too big for my folding saw.

Several blows downs on Sitting bear and a South End. I think three or four total between the two trails. Good work DVW with the blow down on Hemlock and load

Bucked out some of the big stuff on sitting bear/south end. Still more to do but I ran out of daylight. It is amazing how long these trees stay sound inside while standing dead and it’s a real shame to see the hemlock going extinct in our area.

How wet is wayway? I should know this, but I have not gone riding since the first snow storm after thanksgiving. I've been cross training indoors. Actually I did ride Kittatiny last week, but that was trail blazing with all the trees down

How wet is wayway? I should know this, but I have not gone riding since the first snow storm after thanksgiving. I've been cross training indoors. Actually I did ride Kittatiny last week, but that was trail blazing with all the trees down
It's pretty wet and soft the last two days. still rideable where I go

Soft in spots, but 100% ridable

Got the beech at the beginning of laurel and the rotten bomber near the twin bridges. Let’s stay on topic here. Where are the blockages? These saws need to eat.

Got the beech at the beginning of laurel and the rotten bomber near the twin bridges. Let’s stay on topic here. Where are the blockages? These saws need to eat.

Decent-sized tree down at the top of Pines, not far from the gas line

I cleaned up a lot on the Old Wawayanda trail, but one big one I couldn't get, saw too small & worker to beat.

Dsc03870.jpg

Dsc03872.jpg

Dsc03848.jpg

Dsc03849.jpg

Last edited:
Two on Hoeferlin between Black Eagle & Double Pond & a couple on South that could use a saw.

Cleared the hemlock from white dot right before “the move”. The one at the top of pines got fixed up by some beavers and is riding fun.

Been off the webz for a while. In the last couple weeks, I cleared dead oak/hemlock combo on the lakeside part of mojo and the cherry right by the bridge on Plymouth. Too hot and buggy now but yeah, there’s some big stuff out there

There’s a fresh tree down on Sitting Bear or the extension as of yesterday. Not terrible, but new I think. Hasn’t settled in just yet. It’s a tough over coming up the hill.

The power company did a great job clearing Iron Mt trail and stringing up new wires.
I checked Little Bear trail and it’s all clear, someone trimmed one small tree that was on the trail, thanks for the work!
Went out Wingdam trail and it’s in good shape from Little Bear East. West of the dam has two big trees across and needs work. I told the park workers about it.
I rode up Laurel trail and it’s good until the big wash out climb, there is a large tree across there. Then there is another large one blocking trail up by the Caves area. you can crawl under both

Laurel Caves area
Dsc04859.jpg

Laurel Climb
Dsc04858.jpg

Wingdam from lake to dam
Dsc04856.jpg

Dsc04845.jpg

Last edited:
I have a chainsaw, what is the process for cutting up larger trees? how do you get permission or is there someone who has permission now? for example very large tree down on splitrock in the rhododendrons near ferber road for at least 6 months maybe a year.

I have a chainsaw, what is the process for cutting up larger trees? how do you get permission or is there someone who has permission now? for example very large tree down on splitrock in the rhododendrons near ferber road for at least 6 months maybe a year.

In general, permission to use a chainsaw will only be granted to those with formal training and/or are licensed in NJ.

This is unfortunate, as most of the work is limbing or bucking (it is still dangerous, but not like felling)

Thank you for the offer - Call the park office, and always offer to supply labor.

thanks Patrick, does JORBA have permission or Black Bear? thinking of clearing it myself. would hate to ruin for everyone if Park rangers get pissed but it is what it is :). been blocked for 6+ months.

Within Black Bear, I share the JORBA duties for Wayway with @jeffstick. Jeff is our primary sawyer.

Simply, chain saw certification is required to cut trees in any NJ park with a power saw. However, please ride with your handsaw and help us out with the small stuff.

Regarding the trails out by Splitrock and The Wall that were illegally built; the park has instructed Black Bear not to maintain those trails. The park has deemed them dangerous and too hard to extract an injured person in the event of an incident. The park would prefer that people not ride those trails and for the forest to reclaim that area. Not the answer you were looking for and I am sure I will get some hate mail. Don’t shoot the messenger.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions