Wawayanda Down Trees - Intel? Crowd Sourcing Your Observations...

Skunkape

Cleaned up a branchy mess of a hemlock blowdown halfway through wildcat and found some rocks for a hemmy logover in the same zone.

Skunkape

Dawn patrol out Plymouth found this unidentified species and cleared it.
A13F31DC-B7A6-4743-93E8-8A4DE6B2EC5D.jpeg

mtn

The efforts to deal with the Ash trees has done some damage I think it will do some more before they are done. I spoke to a ranger and he mentioned they are taking all the Ash trees out, even if they are not infested. Seems like the program is a full surrender to the beetles that are destroying the trees.

I like how the name Wee Bear stuck. I named that thinking we had Sitting Bear and Little Bear and Wee Bears porridge or singletrack was just right. Something like that.
Same here in the NPS land. Cutting all ash trees within reach of the roads, which is I believe their effort to slow to spread. 15 days right?

Skunkape

yea this section is definitely not going anywhere. Worked too hard building it and mapping it out but people do like that shortcut for hiking.
Speaking of shortcuts, I took the liberty of erasing the braid to the right of this birch. It did not take long for the herd to round off the tread and expose roots here on sitting bear.
85729D7E-6F60-4041-8EEF-3FBA9AE77C2C.jpeg

jimf

Speaking of shortcuts, I took the liberty of erasing the braid to the right of this birch. It did not take long for the herd to round off the tread and expose roots here on sitting bear.View attachment 154714
Saw this the other day, big improvement. Thank you.

That go around was getting wider and wider on the low side of the tree and was eroding the whole hill

Skunkape

Cleared a midsize hemlock from the trail connecting lookout lake to old coal, not sure of the name (I call it cane creek). There’s a real fatty laying in the north shore line option on hemlock and load right near the lake that will require a chainsaw.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions