Watopia Wednesday's

That was fun. That gravel bike has the downtube filled with concrete though on the pavemment. I had no warm up but the first half of the course the pace was a bit hot but then it settled down a bit.

So this is my second ride with you guys and I'm trying to get a feel for the groups. Is there generally a w/kg range for the pace or is it just a "figure it out as we go" kinda thing?

That was fun. That gravel bike has the downtube filled with concrete though on the pavemment. I had no warm up but the first half of the course the pace was a bit hot but then it settled down a bit.

So this is my second ride with you guys and I'm trying to get a feel for the groups. Is there generally a w/kg range for the pace or is it just a "figure it out as we go" kinda thing?
Yes the gravel bike was so slow on the pavement. A PIg really. I was having a hard time keeping up last night.
There is no set W/kg. With the band on you can push 1 w/kg and still stay close to the group.. the Wednesday ride isn't meant to be a hammer ride just a social thing. Ride your own pace and let zwift pull everyone together.

I still haven't figured out the math behind this - there is some combo of slowing down the leaders by adding a headwind factor and boosting the back when putting in an effort above the short term average. In other words, if falling off the back, a good dig will shoot you back up to the group. Ya can't get too far off the front either, system will make it hurt - which is the point i guess.

This wind factor makes the power numbers real for each person. It would mess up strava segments if it boosted the back too much.

in general, we've been soft pedaling after the top of the climbs to regroup.
This is where w/kg makes the biggest difference. In the flats, it is more wattage and drafting.
which is why we should stick bill out front, and make him pull us around!

Joy was doing a workout during the group ride last week (?) - this is interesting, as the workouts ignore the terrain because they want a specific cadence/power.
Now add that to the ride banding. quite a bit going on to render it as staying in the group. On the other hand, how they render it, vs the numbers on the screen
might only be loosely related....

Yeah. I did the workout during the ride. There are times when I'm only doing like 70w so I get sling shot back to the group. I do think it messes up PRs and stuff but I'm not really sure... Unless it's climbing the alpe, PRs in zwift don't really matter to me

I'm new to Zwift, how do I get a gravel bike?

They are in the Drop Shop !

Zwift gravel is 163k drops.
the others are more 'expensive' - and have level requirements.

1579185959655.png

luckily i will be at a presentation on sending a kid to college. maybe i'll climb it when i get home, maybe not ;)

That was an awesome ride though I’m developing a love-hate relationship with my Kickr. (which seems to be a recurring theme in my life lately but I digress). I lost my BT connection after the summit on the last climb and I flatlined.

That was a real good ride. Finished the entire loop. You got to get those route badges when you can.
Had a few milestone on that ride.
232w for 20 minutes
204 w average for 1 hour.
732 watt max 1 short of my all-time best.
I was trying to get the 100 kph badge coming down the radio tower. Apparently that's the hill to get it on. But I think the band effect kept me from exceeding 45 mph.
It was a good night!
1579743022883.jpg
1579742946142.jpg
1579742109633.jpg

Back
Top Bottom