water bottle or Camel bak ?

Dakine drafter pack

I started riding with bottles - as my rides got longer (and I wanted to carry more stuff more comfortably) I got a Camelbak Lobo (2L - small storage space, I think the new ones are 3L).

Recently, I upgraded to a Dakine Drafter (3L, lots of storage space).

It took me a ride or two to adjust to the shift in my center of gravity due to the Camelbak, but I've had no issues since. I don't even notice its there anymore - I think I would feel odd riding without it. It does cause egregious back sweats, but I only notice that when I stop moving.

God damn, there isnt enough time in the day for me to enjoy this stupid thing

i wish mine was for "enjoyment". i haven't had a day off, ie. not checked email/cell/vm since i got my treo five years ago. it's great and terrible at the same time. my wife is ALWAYS yelling at me.

but BOT (aka back on topic), i think i'm gonna go bottle and carry for awhile just to see how it works out. on epics and group rides i'll still carry the pack but that's about it.

i wish mine was for "enjoyment". i haven't had a day off, ie. not checked email/cell/vm since i got my treo five years ago. it's great and terrible at the same time. my wife is ALWAYS yelling at me.

I'm in the glass half full camp with this. If I can answer an email at 9:00 pm with a simply 1 line answer, it saves so much headache at having that possibly hang for the next 12 hours until I get into the office. While it does stretch the bounds of your standard 8 hour workday, it also means you can ease up a little during those 8 hours.

Anyway, yeah I'm down with bottles. On the long Ringwood ride we did, I had 2 on the bike and 2 in the jersey and it worked out just fine. As the weather cools off you'll even be able to get more out out of those 4 bottles.

I'm in the glass half full camp with this. If I can answer an email at 9:00 pm with a simply 1 line answer, it saves so much headache at having that possibly hang for the next 12 hours until I get into the office. While it does stretch the bounds of your standard 8 hour workday, it also means you can ease up a little during those 8 hours.

oh, trust me, i am too. it gives me unlimited flexibility...but with unlimited flexibilty come unlimited connectability. hence my CEO calling me at 9:00pm to find out where things are with some piece of business i'm working on...

plus i work from home so i haven't worked an eight hour day in six years. it's usually more like 10. i just put in a lot more hours in between 6-8a and 8-10p.

oh, water bottles. :D

Always bottles, I bring 2 or 3. Camelbak makes me feel like there is a small midget siting back there and choking me.

I use my camelbak on all the time I drink more water that way it's such a pain to stop and pick a bottle off the frame....that and it is the best place for the life support things we tend to "need" AKA the BB and camera.... :)

Depends on ride duration or time spent away from car. I carry no more than just one bottle on the bike. I could make that last for two hours if I had to. If more is required, then I take a 50oz Camelbak.

Some places involve riding multiple laps or returning to the car and going back out (6-mile, Hartshorne, Allaire, L-M, CR). I will leave multiple bottles on my car and just reload as I go by.

I always race with the 50oz Camelbak. It's nice to fly down a hill or through a rock garden while sipping the fluids.

I carry a Camelbak Lobo and a flavored sports drink in my cage on every ride. I love not having to worry about taking my hand off the bars for long just to get a sip of water, especially when the trail gets technical. Also I am sort of a pack rat when it comes to being in the woods. I carry a multi tool, 2 tubes for long rides and 1 for regular rides, Cell Phone, Tire Levers, Car Keys (of course), Candy Bar, and anything else I think I would need for the ride. I always carry a sports drink in my cage for a little different flavor for the stops. I saw something in Mt. Bike Action a couple of months ago about Camelbak coming out with a new system to combat back sweats. I haven't seen one in person but it looks like it could work pretty well.

I never ride without my Camelbak MULE. In addition to the fluid it's good to have a closed unit for keys, tubes, pump, derailleur hangers, Gu, multi-tool, etc. You get used to the weight. After all, what's the saying - an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure?

If I'm going on a 3+ hour ride I'll also bring a bottle with Cytomax.

I just don't like stuffing tubes and other crap in my jersey.

I use a Camelbak Havoc because it will hold all the essentials. It is also expandable to also hold a bucket of chicken and a 6 pack.;)

Watch the Pros

The only way to go is by using 1 Gel-Bot (24 oz water and flask size gel inside) and my 50 oz Camel Bak. I am a sport MTB racer and it is plenty of fluids for a 18 mile race. I use a very small saddle bag with 1 tube and 1 CO2. Both my bikes and super light weight. I see some guys using the Mule, to me it's too bulky and way to heavy to be lugging around during an all out race. I make it a point to see what the top experts/pros use (Pixychick, NJJess, EllenSerutto, Maurice, Christian Favata, Ed Burgess and others) if it works for them it must be good.

RC ...
PS. Cross race #1 this Sunday in Mass ... Be there

switch between bottle and camelbak. I prefer the feeling of not having the pack on, but end up needing more water for longer rides, since I only have one bottle cage location.

what do I know, I've only been in the saddle for four months. I respectfully apologize for my statement.

Sorry, apologies not accepted. You must pay for your foolishness.
Get ye to the north and west corners of the state!
We'll show you what we call rocky.

Oh, camelback and sports drink in bottle. Camelback adds protection when landing on the back after going OTB through a rocky section. And having the mouthpiece on the shoulder means at least one fluid source will probably not be caked with mud... unless you land in mud from the OTB stunt...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom