tubeless road tires

1594861946812.png
These are fantastical so far.

I revisited Schwalbe Pro 1 affix and much better luck. I’ll go as fas as to say they last longer than gp5000. Pressure is the key. I am running 30mm at 68/64psi on zipp 303s wheels and they are super fast, especially in rough pavement and I even hammered a dirt road on them. Vittoria Corsa speed was the most difficult tire have ever mounted and will never again despite them being super fast.

Vittoria Corsa speed was the most difficult tire have ever mounted and will never again despite them being super fast.

I had Vittoria Rubino Pro Speeds on the systemsix and they were virtually impossible to get off and on. Even the LBS had trouble - ditched them for conti gatorskins

I revisited Schwalbe Pro 1 affix and much better luck. I’ll go as fas as to say they last longer than gp5000. Pressure is the key. I am running 30mm at 68/64psi on zipp 303s wheels and they are super fast, especially in rough pavement and I even hammered a dirt road on them. Vittoria Corsa speed was the most difficult tire have ever mounted and will never again despite them being super fast.
Interesting about the schwalbe durability compared to the conti 5000 TL, a few trusted high mileage types told me the schwalbe's were great but wore super fast.

Just switched to Schwalbe Pro 1 30c on Fulcrum wheels set up tubeless. Couldn't find the 5000 TL in stock anywhere. So far seems to be working well. Initially were losing air pressure pretty quickly but after a few rides they seem to be doing better. Enjoying the slightly lower pressures on the generally terrible roads in the area.

GP5K's over Reynolds rims gave me PTSD towards road tubeless.

I have tubeless ready rims and I still haven't done them because of that stupid setup.

GP5K's over Reynolds rims gave me PTSD towards road tubeless.

I have tubeless ready rims and I still haven't done them because of that stupid setup.
What was issue? I had tubeless PTSD from hutchison tubeless more than 10 years ago and didn't come back to road tubeless until 2 years ago. Conti 5000TL's have been great

I am currently riding the Maxxis High Road 170 TPI in the 25mm width. The ride quality is ever so slightly less than the Schwalbe Pro Ones's from a few years ago, not quite as fast as the GP 5000's, but more durable than either of those and I think a better overall tire.

Couldn't get them over the rim for a solid 2 days. Took 3 people and a bunch of blood/sweat/tears.

Then I sold the rims a month later. Good times.

I've had to break out my Kool Stop Tire Beak Jack (https://smile.amazon.com/Kool-Stop-Tire-Bead-Jack) a couple times. It's not the Easy Button but it does work better (for me) than tire levers. My worst experience recently was tubed 5000s on cheapo ICON carbon wheels. Had to walk away and come back the next morning for one of them. Chance of success is inversely proportional to how sweaty and aggravated I am.

@jimvreeland's pro-tip is gold.

on my old road bike I had the Schwalbe Pro 1s (2016 version). They lasted over 1200 miles and the only puncture I got was sealed in a few seconds. At the time they seamed like the best combination of a relatively fast tire with good puncture resistance. I got them again for my new bike but one of them was the old version and one was the new Addix version. After 600 miles the Addix version has had 3 flats vs 0 for the old version. I went on bicyclerollingresistance.com and found out that Schwalbe reduced the puncture protection to lower rolling resistance. The thing is it's still not as fast as a Conti Gp5000 and it's puncture rating isn't even as good now.

If that website is to be believed the most durable of the fast tires is the Pirelli P Zero Vello Race, but I haven't personally tried those.

Although possibly more of a gravel tire, I've had good luck with the Schwalbe G-One on HED rims Halter's built for me a little over a year ago and setup tubeless. I have over 500 mainly road miles on them. I rarely have to add air to them - maybe twice since built. Tires still have mold nubs on them.

Back
Top Bottom