tubeless road tires

beat the piss out of those tires. not sure how fast they are compared to a legit lightweight race tire, but for a training tire that you can bash on gravel, wood

I'm a huge fan of Schwalbe 1s and Pro 1s. The non-Pro is a great all-around tire, but the Pros are just so supple. I still find they are both just as susceptible to slices as previous versions, but I am used to it and have a stock of Shoe Goo that does a terrific job of covering them up.

my p1s also got some deep slices in them. I tossed and am running tubes on some old Vittoria Open Paves which are just about worn.
So I bought some GP5k tubeless. Hopefully I can get them on my Dura Ace wheels

I just mounted a pair of Roubaix 2Bliss tires on my Tarmac. At $40 a pop I can go through 3 sets of them for 1 pair of Contis.

How difficult are they to mount?

That's what is keeping me running tubes at this point; way too many stories of the countis and other tubeless road tires being next to impossible to get on the rim

Challenge; Saguaro TNT on a Stans wheel? Or one of those WTB TCS on a Stans wheel

The WTBs are definitely a cake walk, I've not tried the other.

The worst tire I've encountered is the ENVE SES 29c. The sidewalls are so soft it's very hard to grip and pull off. On is always easy.

Challenge; Saguaro TNT on a Stans wheel?
I was going to post this. It’s gotta be the Geaxs from 2012 though. Those were impossible. I broke many tire levers trying to get them on.

But somehow when I flatted at KVSP one year I was able to put a tube in on the course. In think that was like the mom who picked up the car to save her baby though.

I was going to post this. It’s gotta be the Geaxs from 2012 though. Those were impossible. I broke many tire levers trying to get them on.

But somehow when I flatted at KVSP one year I was able to put a tube in on the course. In think that was like the mom who picked up the car to save her baby though.
I was able to mount one but ended up flatting it too, except I had to cut mine off wuthba pair of snips.

Oh man, triggered. That was my first tubeless build. I re-built some wheels with Crests but reused the Geaxs I already had. For science. I remember thinking "this can't possibly be right".

Topically, I got a staple in a 5000TL this morning, 1/2 mile from home and 200m from my buddy's house. He drove me home and pretended not to mind that I sweated all over his interior. Fortunately, I have one new one left.

Topically, I got a staple in a 5000TL this morning, 1/2 mile from home and 200m from my buddy's house. He drove me home and pretended not to mind that I sweated all over his interior. Fortunately, I have one new one left.

If the tire is in otherwise good condition, these can often be repaired permanently using a tube patch from the inside. You have to scrub (emphasis on scrub) off the mold release compound using acetone, since tires often have minimal rubber covering the casing threads. I've got ~500 miles on a pair of tires that previously had ~400 miles on them before they were discarded due to a couple of 3-4mm long cuts in the tread.

How about non tubeless tires?

Nothing like throwing some armadillos on Trek Matrix rims.

The tubeless or non tubeless ones?
I have been running the non tubeless c24, was super easy

Both. Shimano was the only manufacturer that carried forth the torch of Mavic with regards to UST (which is just a profile, not a hole-less rim).

Who knows where it will go when they release new stuff...but I guess it was nice while it lasted?

Both. Shimano was the only manufacturer that carried forth the torch of Mavic with regards to UST (which is just a profile, not a hole-less rim).

Who knows where it will go when they release new stuff...but I guess it was nice while it lasted?
Curious, why did they have the tubeless specific ones that didn’t have the nipple holes?

Curious, why did they have the tubeless specific ones that didn’t have the nipple holes?

Cause it looks fancy? There was never a need to have a rim with no spoke holes for tubeless...though I won't pretend it isn't easier.

I'm sure the reason they give is that it is marginally stronger to have an unbroken--other than the valve--rim bed.

I AM sure that the reason road UST disappeared was because the consumer thought it needed a rim with no holes (it didn't), and manufacturers didn't want to pay to have it certified (there was no licensing fee). Instead, we have the wild-west of, "let's make our tires tighter, so they mount extra securely" and, "let's make our rims tight so even loose tires mount securely".

Back
Top Bottom