tubeless road tires

RobW

what is everyones favorite tubeless road tire? I'll ignore anything @rick81721 mentions because he would flat on a tubeless tire too. I'm looking at the WTB exposure's in a 32mm because there is chances of some gravel roads around here but mainly pavement this way.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
@Dave Taylor gave me a bunch of info on tubeless road tires mid ride last week. Maybe he can make some recommendations.

mwlikesbikes

I’ve been running Continental GP 5000 25c on my road bike. They’ve been good to me in the 6 months I’ve been using them.
If you’re mostly doing road I would suggest 28c for a little less rolling resistance.

RobW

I’ve been running Continental GP 5000 25c on my road bike. They’ve been good to me in the 6 months I’ve been using them.
If you’re mostly doing road I would suggest 28c for a little less rolling resistance.

for further recommendations, my wheels are 26 Deep,24 Wide Ext, 19 Wide Int.

Cassinonorth

I put GP5000TL's on my Reynolds and it was an absolute bitch. Took me damn near 3 hours to get onto the rim. Then I ended up selling the bike they were on 2 months later. They were good while I had them, no flats, held air nicely.

mfennell

I've run Schwalbe Pro One with good results. They were way oversized. 25mm measured out at 27.5 on a 21mm internal width rim. 28 was 30.5. I've been told (but have not confirmed personally) that the new ones are closer to advertised size.

Running Conti GP 5000 TL in 25 now. They seem like they'll be a tiny bit more durable (not that I had trouble with the Schwalbes). Width is as advertised. I'll probably go for 28s next time. They were a bitch to install. Cornering is more confidence inspiring for some reason.

Come to think of it, I managed to slash a Pro One sidewall early on. Needed a boot and a tube to get home. Never another problem and when I sent a note to Schwalbe about it, they actually called (it turns out they're NA HQ is in Victoria BC where my brother lives, which led to an interesting start of the conversation when I assumed it was him with a new number) and offered to send me a pair dirt cheap which I thought was cool.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
If you're looking for something in the 30c area, I've been using these for a while...

I like these in winter

And these 38's are my gravel/light trail tires

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
I ran the Roubaix pro's into the ground, totally bomb proof. would suggest. did not flat any of the gravel events i did. and it was super cheap compared to other tires. if you aren't trying to win any road races and want something that you can beat on, this is the one.

I also just put some 32mm maxxis refuse's on and they were also stellar on the gravel bike, and the race I did this weekend. Little wider, maybe a little slower?

I also have some 30mm rubino pros to run on my road bike and they seem fast enough, I haven't put them to work though.

I also picked up some Pathfinders too, haven't ridden them yet, but hoping to yield the same results. If I can get the rear to seal, that would be fantastic. I think I need to retape the rim.

I've heard the exposures suck and are leaky on the sidewalls. Wood not reccomend.

Wow I have a lot of tires.

Tim

aka sptimmy43
Interesting thread. IIRC the last time this came up the GP5000s were not recommended? What has changed int he last year?

I have 28c hutchinson sector pros on my bike now. I got one puncture over the last 8 months that a dynaplug was able to fix. They aren't the fasted rolling tires, though.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
GP5000TL, best of all worlds, rolling resistance and puncture resistance. I even rode one flat for 7 miles last week (sealant dried up) and tire is still good.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
Oh and to be even more annoying, I ran a 28mm Gravel King Slick down to smithereens, never flatted, never let me down either. I'd say the 32 would be the same as well.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I ran the Roubaix pro's into the ground, totally bomb proof. would suggest. did not flat any of the gravel events i did. and it was super cheap compared to other tires. if you aren't trying to win any road races and want something that you can beat on, this is the one.

I also just put some 32mm maxxis refuse's on and they were also stellar on the gravel bike, and the race I did this weekend. Little wider, maybe a little slower?

I also have some 30mm rubino pros to run on my road bike and they seem fast enough, I haven't put them to work though.

I also picked up some Pathfinders too, haven't ridden them yet, but hoping to yield the same results. If I can get the rear to seal, that would be fantastic. I think I need to retape the rim.

I've heard the exposures suck and are leaky on the sidewalls. Wood not reccomend.

Wow I have a lot of tires.
Love the Pathfinders. The Specialized tires are great tires for the price.

RobW

leaning heavily on the Roubaix pro's now.... and nice pricepoint with solid reviews... I will hit mixed surface as cut throughs in north MoCo so these seem to fit the bill. thanks doods

rick81721

Lothar
what is everyones favorite tubeless road tire? I'll ignore anything @rick81721 mentions because he would flat on a tubeless tire too. I'm looking at the WTB exposure's in a 32mm because there is chances of some gravel roads around here but mainly pavement this way.
I was going to post something about how long it's been since I've had a flat but the cycling gods will surely seed my path with glass, nails, etc.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Just to throw another in the mix- Hutchison Fusion 5 performances roll fast but are durable. I did ~7k on them last year without a puncture.

I've tried many tubeless set ups through the years (Sectors, Pro Ones, etc.) and imho the Fusion 5's win on all fronts. I also run the Fusion 4 All Seasons in the winter for a bit extra grip.
I rode the v2's when I first went road tubeless and they were the only option. 23's. seems like forever ago.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Interesting thread. IIRC the last time this came up the GP5000s were not recommended? What has changed int he last year?

I have 28c hutchinson sector pros on my bike now. I got one puncture over the last 8 months that a dynaplug was able to fix. They aren't the fasted rolling tires, though.

The TL wasn't available yet. They're still relatively new.

Reactions: Tim
Top Bottom