Trail conditions?

walter

Fourth Party
It aint that bad...

Here you go, I went for the obvious first, headed down the trail to the river, which was a disaster. It was still frozen when I was there but it looks as if people had been there in the later part of the previous days, when things were pretty soupy. All along the river is bad, ruts, tire grooves, spots where it looks like tires washed out, its gonna be a mess when it thaws.

Up the hill to the trail that follows the airplane field, nice, not messy at all, good riding. Took this to the orange trail, the one that comes to a T with the access road, made a right, down the hill over the four or five stairs. At the bottom, right before you go up the slight incline, is a mess also. Still frozen this morning, but will not be good once Mr sun comes out. Up the hill, quick left into the tight singletrack, all good, no big messes.

Looped my way through, then into Tiger woods, all good here as well, some ice and water in the low spots, deep berms etc.., but no real bad spots, actually pretty good I thought. Out of the woods and onto the blue trail to make my way back to the lot, not bad here, some ice and water, but the re-routes seem to be doing a good job.

I think if the weather stays as is, with out any heavy rain or snow, this weekend should be fine. I would avoid the trail down by the river for sure, as well as the trail that runs along Hospital rd as you leave the parking lot, that trail was all crappy too. Most of us have enough time in at this place to know what areas get shitted up, I think if you avoid the mentioned bad spots, you can still get plenty of good riding in. I would also suggest going as early as possible when the ground is still cold from the night before.

All in all, not a bad ride, got about An hour and a half of riding in, went to Belmar, got myself a burrito, picked up my daughter early from daycare, and now Im going to spend the rest of the afternoon watching noggin and playing with dolls.

walter

Glancing Aft

has anyone been up to the Tourne in the past week? I'm sure if we get snow tonight it wont be too great but trying to get a feel for it for early next week.

bobkennelly

Hartshorn, Condition?

Has anyone gone to Hartshorn in the past few days, anything on the condition? Just saw the weather for the weekend, sunny and cold Sat. and clouds for Sun. with alittle snow for the evening...
Let me knoww..

Bob

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
yeah, except we may get two more inches of snow today. so much for weatherman norm's forecast.

You were saying?

These guys are so hard up for a bad storm at this point they trumpet any cloud as the ice armageddon. I think 3 weeks ago we got a dusting and the NY news channels were reporting 5-6 inches. I think they send all their roving reporters to upstate NY so they can pound you with scary snow stories.

Anyway...

Weatherman Norm says the trails should be ok tomorrow in spots. So maybe we get a little precipitation this morning which will amount to nothing. But overnight lows expected in the mid-teens, colder up North. So if you're looking at, say, Lewis Morris, get out there early and you should have a nice solid pack of fast frozen mud waiting for you. Expect some patches of ice which will be slick, so you still need to pay attention. Winds today should also help dry out things a little. By mid day things will soften up so try to get out on the early side. More of the same for Sunday with temps possibly reaching 40 in mid day, so roadies might want to shoot for mid-Sunday to get those blacktop miles in.

Over to Steve with sports...

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
Has anyone gone to Hartshorn in the past few days, anything on the condition? Just saw the weather for the weekend, sunny and cold Sat. and clouds for Sun. with alittle snow for the evening...
Let me knoww..

Bob
Not been there myself, but a friend attempted to ride at Huber on Thursday and deemed it unridable. "Luge run" was part of his description. I imagine that Hartshorne is pretty much the same, if not worse from the higher amount of traffic it tends to receive.

Right now, I'm really unsure of what my riding will turn out to be this weekend, because the wind forecast for tomorrow is making the road look not so great as well.

bobkennelly

Not been there myself, but a friend attempted to ride at Huber on Thursday and deemed it unridable. "Luge run" was part of his description. I imagine that Hartshorne is pretty much the same, if not worse from the higher amount of traffic it tends to receive.

Right now, I'm really unsure of what my riding will turn out to be this weekend, because the wind forecast for tomorrow is making the road look not so great as well.

Thanks for the trail update Chris, I just got back from my lunch ride, 22miles, was cold and windy along the Hudson,and central Park was not much better.I guess its going to be allaire on Sunday, I think its going to be too cold again for any road rides this weekend..
Bob

Last edited:

ArmyOfNone

The Sourlands is in pretty damn good shape. Id say get out there early before everything starts to thaw out. A few patches of ice, but nothing to ruin your ride.

So much fun to be up there today.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
What? What'd I say?

Anyway, check out the weather for the next 10 days. Winter is dead, I say! Trails should be as wet as a basement after a water heater failure next weekend.

smooth move norm. you pissed off the weather gods. commute is gonna be fun tomorrow....

anrothar

entirely thrilled
eh no. been too busy being a lazy, unmotivated sot. gotta fix the truck now in case i can;t be motivated to make it out on the bike in tomorrows weather....

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
smooth move norm. you pissed off the weather gods. commute is gonna be fun tomorrow....

Sorry man. I hope you didn't use my trail predictions to ride this weekend. I almost did what Jeff did at LM, but I lamed out. Looks like the next few weeks might be a real mess with this weather stuff.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
Trail conditions report:

The roads in northern Monmouth County are totally ridable. Did 3 hours this morning, including several of the hills in the Highlands/Middletown/Homdel vicinity with Kris (PedalPaddles). First ride out of the basement on my geared road bike since October. Had a blast.

Hartshorne and Huber appeared to be well iced-over when we rode by.

Hopefully tonight's little weather event won't amount to much.

Top Bottom