The MetsThread

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
'86 NLCS Game 6 is on MLB Network right now ... one of my all-time greatest moments as a Met fan. I remember watching most of the game while sitting in detention (my English teacher rolled a TV into the room because he didn't want to miss it.) I ended up sitting there until an extra hour because I didn't want to miss it. None of us in detention would leave, in fact - I think there were five of us and everyone of us stayed well after detention ended. Once they tied it up in the ninth, I basically ran all the way home from school - about 5 miles - to watch the rest.

1speed

they have to spend a ton of money to only be worth $700M together.....
that is not baseball owner $$$.

Yeah, this is a Jeter-esque "face of the organization" deal. They're going to need investors with real money backing them to pull this off. And there's still the problem of the game's dumbest owners wanting to maintain control for another 5 years. It's just not a smart play for investors, I don't think this is going to go anywhere. That is, unless they can convince a Russian oligarch to back them. Then all bets are off. Bringing in Russian oligarchs is like handing a chimp a machine gun - the immediate aftermath is going to be really exciting but the long term outcome is probably going to be terrible. And you know what? I'd be okay with that. As a long suffering Met fan who has watched the Wilpons dry hump the franchise into oblivion forever, I kind of hope that right now A-Rod is on the phone with some Interpol target named Dimitry Warcrimesokov or something. Let's do this ...

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I was thinking about this 60 game season and the Mets. It typically takes about 61 games to put a win streak after their 12 game win streak to start a season. Or will they be in typical late July/August run, i bet the former. Anyway some moves that were made are all for not. Mets are a mess between ownership limbo and brodie still calling the shots.

1speed

Has there ever been a more perfectly Metsian quote than this one from that CNN article? It just has everything - an entitled, incompetent silver spoon shitbag mortgaging the future of the franchise to invest with a family-annihilating scumbag in the most famous Ponzi scheme of all time and in so doing ensuring a fat and lazy clubhouse cancer gets seven figures for generations to come ... Ladies and gentlemen ... the New York Metropolitans!!!!

"How was Gilbert able to secure such a sweet deal for his client? They can both thank disgraced financier Bernie Madoff and Mets owner Fred Wilpon.
The Mets wanted to part ways with Bonilla in 1999 but he had $6 million left on his contract. Wilpon believed he was getting a huge return on his investments through Madoff but the Mets owner turned out to be a victim of Madoff's infamous Ponzi scheme. Instead of paying Bonilla outright, Wilpon opted to defer payments so that the money could be unwittingly invested into Madoff's Ponzi scheme.
"

GreenMachine

Has there ever been a more perfectly Metsian quote than this one from that CNN article? It just has everything - an entitled, incompetent silver spoon shitbag mortgaging the future of the franchise to invest with a family-annihilating scumbag in the most famous Ponzi scheme of all time and in so doing ensuring a fat and lazy clubhouse cancer gets seven figures for generations to come ... Ladies and gentlemen ... the New York Metropolitans!!!!

"How was Gilbert able to secure such a sweet deal for his client? They can both thank disgraced financier Bernie Madoff and Mets owner Fred Wilpon.
The Mets wanted to part ways with Bonilla in 1999 but he had $6 million left on his contract. Wilpon believed he was getting a huge return on his investments through Madoff but the Mets owner turned out to be a victim of Madoff's infamous Ponzi scheme. Instead of paying Bonilla outright, Wilpon opted to defer payments so that the money could be unwittingly invested into Madoff's Ponzi scheme.
"
When I worked for DLJ Pershing in The late 90s we handled clearing for Madoff - only one guy did the account though.
It wasn’t until years later I realized .. oh S that Madoff...

Top Bottom