The Indoor Cyclist's support thread

qclabrat

I have an annual subscription:

Your annual membership will automatically renew on September 14, 2023

@qclabrat you only need speed/cadence sensor on the bike and an HRM and youre good to go. If you use a Windows PC you will need an ANT+ dongle ($40 on amazon). Pay attention to how far away the bike and PC would be sometimes you can get connections dropping but I never had this issue.

This was my setup since Zwift started until recently now I use AppleTV which I would highly recommend because its so damn simple to get up and running. Just the appleTV remote is super sensitive.
Do you need to subscribe to Apple TV or just need the box? At home I'm using a Kinetic rock-'n'-roll with their InRide Bluetooth sensor. I think I have Wahoo sensors somewhere that I can use for the dumb trainer

iman29

Do you need to subscribe to Apple TV or just need the box? At home I'm using a Kinetic rock-'n'-roll with their InRide Bluetooth sensor. I think I have Wahoo sensors somewhere that I can use for the dumb trainer
AppleTV came free for 3 months I will cancel
It after we have too many subscriptions.

It doesn’t require it i just logged in with my appleID and installed zwift app (note not the companion app)

There’s a phone app called Zwift companion that goes along with it so you can look at your stats and interact during the ride without needed a keyboard or the appleTV remote.

qclabrat

AppleTV came free for 3 months I will cancel
It after we have too many subscriptions.

It doesn’t require it i just logged in with my appleID and installed zwift app (note not the companion app)

There’s a phone app called Zwift companion that goes along with it so you can look at your stats and interact during the ride without needed a keyboard or the appleTV remote.
So I can just get one off eBay for $30 which meets the Zwift specs, gen4 or higher.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
So I can just get one off eBay for $30 which meets the Zwift specs, gen4 or higher.

yup - gen 4 lets you load apps. I've been running one for a couple years.
fire up SXM for some music, and do central park laps.

iphone mounted on handlebars with companion app - allows control of apple tv, and
access to zwift stuff - like giving the thumbs-up (ride-on!) while on the road to motivate others....
there are also map pages - and setting the zwift app to remove all the telemetry from the screen is nice -
it is on the companion dashboard.

iman29

THATmanMANNY

Got home early today but temps dropped very quickly between 4-5. Turned me off. So I Echelon’ed for the first time. I don’t know what Peloton is like but Nicole kicked my butt. She was vibing. I enjoyed it and my legs are sore. My calf’s were cramping but I had to overtake and finish 2nd place.
D5D64E52-3B38-470D-AF32-ABA4CF67AEB3.jpeg

rottin'

Staff member
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Got home early today but temps dropped very quickly between 4-5. Turned me off. So I Echelon’ed for the first time. I don’t know what Peloton is like but Nicole kicked my butt. She was vibing. I enjoyed it and my legs are sore. My calf’s were cramping but I had to overtake and finish 2nd place.
View attachment 201914
@THATmanMANNY your reflection in the screen is priceless! Are you getting mugged while riding at home?!?

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
Giving FulGaz for Apple TV a honest try….
57DE82D8-0562-45F1-83AD-CE8061E0423D.jpeg

Not ready to dump Zwift (yet)…. But this feels a lot more like actual riding.

The video/GPS/Power is group sourced. They have fairly stringent quality requirements, including what camera/version, settings and GPS ride recording head units. The video playback speed is adjusted up or down based on your speed/power relative to the source.

I like it.

iman29

Giving FulGaz for Apple TV a honest try….
View attachment 203028
Not ready to dump Zwift (yet)…. But this feels a lot more like actual riding.

The video/GPS/Power is group sourced. They have fairly stringent quality requirements, including what camera/version, settings and GPS ride recording head units. The video playback speed is adjusted up or down based on your speed/power relative to the source.

I like it.
Seems interesting but is it more like 1st person solo rider kinda thing?

Not saying it’s good or bad just different angle then zwift which has the social group ride element baked in. I’ve been in zwift since the Beta and I have a virtual group of riders i met online way before zwift has any clubs or group rides. To this day 6+ Years? we have a core group that rides together.

Now that I have my appleTV I might check out a free trial of this just to see what it’s like.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
Seems interesting but is it more like 1st person solo rider kinda thing?

Not saying it’s good or bad just different angle then zwift which has the social group ride element baked in. I’ve been in zwift since the Beta and I have a virtual group of riders i met online way before zwift has any clubs or group rides. To this day 6+ Years? we have a core group that rides together.

Now that I have my appleTV I might check out a free trial of this just to see what it’s like.
There are group rides and events and such. They partnered with IronMan and have many past courses. They also have a library of workouts or you can use your own. Group stuff is not really my thing. I’m a one event a year kinda slug. The premise is FPV, but if the ride was recorded at an event or group ride, you see and hear that as well. For instance, you can hear cars passing, street/nature sounds and some wind noise.

The setup pairing was simple and the trainer responds very realistically, far more so than Zwift.

robcleary

Well I finally committed to trying indoor cycling. Picked up a Tacx Flow secondhand, waiting on a couple more parts to arrive (trainer tire and thru axle adapter for my gravel bike). I think Tacx has some included software for workouts, but I may give trainer road or Zwift a shot for a couple months.

Attachments

• IMG_20221228_174328.jpg
    IMG_20221228_174328.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 41

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Well I finally committed to trying indoor cycling. Picked up a Tacx Flow secondhand, waiting on a couple more parts to arrive (trainer tire and thru axle adapter for my gravel bike). I think Tacx has some included software for workouts, but I may give trainer road or Zwift a shot for a couple months.

Might be able to use your head unit to drive it. Load workout you create or reride something you've done. Which is cool cause it places you on the map and you can imagine the terrain

Good luck!

iman29

Whichever one you pick just start reading up on trainer calibration etc. maybe the trainer also needs a firmware update if it’s older.

Highly recommend AppleTV for zwift. I’m a PC guy but switched to ATV a month back and it works perfectly.

Post up here with any zwift questions but also lots of TR folks here too.

robcleary

Whichever one you pick just start reading up on trainer calibration etc. maybe the trainer also needs a firmware update if it’s older.

Highly recommend AppleTV for zwift. I’m a PC guy but switched to ATV a month back and it works perfectly.

Post up here with any zwift questions but also lots of TR folks here too.
Yeah definitely need to figure out calibration. I think I saw the initial calibration can be done through the Tacx app through a spindown cycle? I'll do some googling.

For the time being I'm gonna use my desktop rig with bluetooth (and an ant+ receiver, which was included with the Flow I bought), so I'll see which one is more reliable in the long run. Good to know the ATV is an option though, I've seen it pop up on this thread a few times!

Top Bottom