The Indoor Cyclist's support thread

Starting a training plan, and as it's been years since I've done a FTP test, I tried to do Zwift's Ramp Test this morning..... It's a 5 minute warmup, followed by 60 seconds at 100w, 120w, 140w, 180w, etc until fatigue. I'd have thought ERG mode would kick in and maintain constant power. It did not. Couldn't find an ERG toggle in setting anywhere.
AppleTV Zwift app, iPhone companion app, older KickR.
Yesterday's workout erg mode worked fine, and automagically kicked in for each interval.
In general it's better to do the test in sim mode not erg mode, it might be that the test doesn't run in erg mode

because it is very difficult to pedal 200w @ 10rpm, erg mode shuts off at low RPM, lets ya spin back up, then kicks in again.
good during workouts when you drop your water bottle. I just saw it was esplained in the article.

Seems a ramp test should use erg mode,
an FTP20/FTP60 wouldn't.

hmm.....

Never done Zwift ramp test but Trainerroad ramp test can be done in ERG or resistance mode.
I was going to say maybe Zwift doesn't want you to use ERG mode for a ramp test as it's more accurate, but having done the TR ramp test, ERG mode makes sense as the test is the same every time.

I've done two Zwift ramps in erg mode. I believe that its the default. This was before the latest update. When you select any of the workouts, whether they are Zwift designed or self-designed, erg is the default mode. Once you select workout but before you press the "Start" button, you have the opportunity to switch from erg to regular (or whatever regular is called).
I'd love to have the opportunity to toggle between erg and regular, or to be able to adjust my FTP on the fly if a prescribed workout exceeded my heart rate limits for a particular session. I should probably read more and wonder less.

Last edited:
Imagine a world where there was an internet that provided answers to your deep, dark questions

jay-and-silent-bob-internet.gif

I'd love to have the opportunity to toggle between erg and regular, or to be able to adjust my FTP on the fly if a prescribed workout exceeded my heart rate limits for a particular session. I should probably read more and wonder less.

You can do this very quickly and easily using the companion app. It works great, I frequently bump the watts up or down mid workout based on how I am feeling that day

There are arrows right below the power number in Zwift. I think you can make it between 75% to 125%.

Hey all - my wife has a dumb bike trainer. She asked about a distance sensor.
Is there a free app out there that work with her iphone/apple watch for distance and HR?
She isn't looking to do actual workouts - just track time/distance/hr

I was looking at cyclemeter - might do it at the basic level?

Is there a free app out there that work with her iphone/apple watch for distance and HR?

I have an old cateye computer you can have. It used a wheel sensor for distance and speed. It will need sensors and a battery.

speed/cadence sensor, and the Wahoo app....... record exercise as exercise bike.. maybe that works?

de726f1404df8b0697c6b07300728ec3.gif

Spring for a Peloton

I have a wahoo speed/cadence sensor you can have. Still uses magnets for pedal and wheel, but uses Bluetooth/ant+

Back
Top Bottom