The Indoor Cyclist's support thread

ebarker9

So am I the only one who prefers Rouvy over Zwift?

I just do TrainerRoad because my motivation for indoor riding is essentially to do something structured and specific so that hopefully some numbers go up and I feel better about myself.

My wife primarily runs, but we got the Stages bike so that we could both use it and she has an alternative to running outside when it's a day like, well, today. So I set her up with Rouvy to see how she likes it. Looks pretty cool so far.

THATmanMANNY

I can’t believe this is $300 or one new eagle x01 cassette. Let’s see how she performs! It’s early Xmas gift day! “Present to you Feloton”
7060932D-8C56-4915-9D25-E7EE9B2B106A.jpeg

qclabrat

Had to order a new InRide sensor as have not used it for over a year. Does Zwift only do monthly or is there a year subscription now. Also would like to setup a dumb trainer at the weekend house. Can it be used with Zwift some way?

iman29

I just saw this.

You can definitely ride without power, I'm not so sure if you can do a race without a Power meter
You can have the basic setup on Zwift which means not a smart trainer, I did this for 10+ years and did my own workouts etc... and never cared about races (still dont...yet).

If you dont have some kind of Power (i.e, pedals or crank) you get DQ'd from any races - but that should not discourage anyone from getting on Zwift for group rides and non racing events.

Zwift has all the non smart trainers programmatically calculated into the game (called zPower). There's a bunch of online bloggers who tested this ways back and it seems to be relatively accurate but always trends higher (i.e. CycleOps Fluid2 trainer).

Bottom line, you can use Zwift from basic mode all the way to full race mode depending what you want to get out of it.

As documented here I just recently aquired an older CycleOps Magnus trainer (wheel on smart trainer) and used that as an excuse to upgrade my Zwift setup with an AppleTV. I am still getting the kinks worked out for the trainer being accurate but I plan to try some races this winter to see how it helps vary my fitness training.

iman29

Monthly subscription only.
Dumb trainer with cadence and wheel speed sensor. HRM is also recommended..
I have an annual subscription:

Your annual membership will automatically renew on September 14, 2023

@qclabrat you only need speed/cadence sensor on the bike and an HRM and youre good to go. If you use a Windows PC you will need an ANT+ dongle ($40 on amazon). Pay attention to how far away the bike and PC would be sometimes you can get connections dropping but I never had this issue.

This was my setup since Zwift started until recently now I use AppleTV which I would highly recommend because its so damn simple to get up and running. Just the appleTV remote is super sensitive.

trener1

To me the biggest thing that you miss out on without a smart trainer (even if you have a power meter on your bike) is the terrain changes, and the feeling like you are out on the road, which is why I use Zwift in the first place, but I can see why it might be attractive to some.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
Only two BT connections available for Apple TV. Well, it’s 3 but that’s dedicated to the remote. Use the companion app to pair as many BT sensors as you need(want)

Top Bottom