The Indoor Cyclist's support thread

THATmanMANNY

I'm not ready to do monthly zwift yet. Are there any free basic apps to just do some intervals etc?
I have a TacX Neo2.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm not ready to do monthly zwift yet. Are there any free basic apps to just do some intervals etc?
I have a TacX Neo2.
If you're looking for intervals, try The Sufferfest. There may be a 7 day free trail, then it's monthly, but you can turn it off at any time.

*edit*
I may pause Zwift later this winter and go back to Sufferfest if there are gonna be any races

THATmanMANNY

@Mahnken that's cool! PM'ing. Never tried anything else but zwift.
@Pearl let's try that out!

It's not about being a cheapskate but it is but it isn't. I'm just not sure how much I'll be exercising indoors still with mild temps. I just go itch today to dust it off.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
@Mahnken that's cool! PM'ing. Never tried anything else but zwift.
@Pearl let's try that out!

It's not about being a cheapskate but it is but it isn't. I'm just not sure how much I'll be exercising indoors still with mild temps. I just go itch today to dust it off.
TrainerRoad is a great tool, but boring AF. You stare at a graph. Make sure you have a some TV shows/movies to watch. Erg mode will adjust the resistance for you, but there are cadence cues you need to pay attention to sometimes. I'd suggest checking out the sufferfest first.. I just checked, and it's a 14 day free trial.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I have a TacX Neo2.

which head unit do you have? you can load stuff in there and it will do it.
the trainer also has an app - probably can set stuff up in there.
ms manny must be ready to zwift again (phil collins reference ya feel it?)

I re-rode one of my rides - and the wahoo tracks it on the map and changes resistance as needed.

Mahnken

TrainerRoad is a great tool, but boring AF. You stare at a graph. Make sure you have a some TV shows/movies to watch. Erg mode will adjust the resistance for you, but there are cadence cues you need to pay attention to sometimes. I'd suggest checking out the sufferfest first.. I just checked, and it's a 14 day free trial.
I like trainerroad just for that reason, lol. I can watch tv and just have the tr app going on my phone. They did add a feature that allows you to do the same workout as others with a zoom like interface. I've never tried it, but it seems like it might be cool for some social training. Even if I liked another platform, I'm locked into the $99/year with trainerroad and everything else cost more at this point.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
You can do those 30 seconds on/off intervals watching TV and not on the verge of throwing up? Maybe I’m doing it wrong

Hakimaki

Someone had a similar issue on the TR forum. Same trainer, some good info there.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
You can do those 30 seconds on/off intervals watching TV and not on the verge of throwing up? Maybe I’m doing it wrong
Um. Not all workouts are the same?

And yeah, I learned any hard workout I need to put something on TV that's just noise and I don't care about it because I'll be paying attention to not dying.

Regular workouts especially during the build phase I just watch exciting TV to keep me sane.

If anyone needs a TR referral, PM me your email address, I have a ton. While it may not matter to many here, my biggest complaint about TR is the lack of running support.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I never watch TV on the trainer. Zwift and 90's gangsta rap is good enough. Before Zwift I used TrainerRoad alongside Sufferfest. You could load the 'fest videos, and sync them with TR. There are audible ques for things like cadence change, sprints, power up, power down because if you're doing it right, you can barely see anyway. Fucking brutal.

Why not just race on Zwift?
You can race all year.
The fest has structured training plans, better than Zwift, not as many as TR, but extremely effective. They'd be more effective without beer, tho.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I've used their triathlon plans and just programmed their run workouts into my watch. Pretty basic running plans, but it did the job.
My issues are that they don't do a training program based on running/biking, but more importantly have no functionality on their calendar regarding running. It shouldn't take much to have the running workouts on the calendar and also sync the running events to the calendar.

The TR calendar is pretty underrated and a great feature, but missing running is a killer. Could say the same about swimming but that doesn't affect me.

If they fixed that they'd probably pull a bunch of people from Training Peaks.

Top Bottom