The Indoor Cyclist's support thread

Started training for my Ironman next August this week. Super excited for staring at blue bars on TrainerRoad for the next 6 months.

Which one are you targeting?
you have a couple of halves planned?

Not my best time.
Kept my HR below 150 the entire time up.

1602978990960.jpg

Rapha 500

----on bike radar

Rapha celebrates 10 years of the Festive 500​

Strava confirms that virtual kilometres still don’t count

----From Zwift

The world-famous Rapha Festive 500 is turning 10 this year! To celebrate, we’re bringing the fun to Zwift, upping your chances to participate.

This year, virtual miles count. You read that right. Virtual. Miles. Count. And Zwift is here to help you complete this epic 8-day challenge in December!

I'm new to the indoor cycling and could use some support...…

With ski season looking like a bust, I picked up a tacx flow onwheel trainer late in the summer. Finally got it set up last week and have been zwifting while dreaming of east coast hardpack. However a problem. 8 rides and 7 flats. Typically get a flat, patch the flat, then switch tubes on next flat.

Flats have been pinholes on the tire side of the tube about 6-inches from the stem and typically on a seam. When i've patched the flat, hole develops adjacent to the edge of the patch. I've been consistent with tire pressure at 100psi and have always checked calibration. For tires, I'm using conti 5000s with about 1000 road miles. I've switched out the rear tire for the front tire thinking my problems would be over, but no, still flatted. I've inspected tires, cleaned the inside of the tires with rubbing alcohol. I was going to pour some stans in the tube, but unfortunately the core wasn't removable on current tubes.

So what am i missing? go to a trainer tire? calibrate tighter? Calibrate looser and risk wheel slip? I figure i can buy a lot of tubes as compared to the cost of a direct drive trainer.

I'm new to the indoor cycling and could use some support...…

With ski season looking like a bust, I picked up a tacx flow onwheel trainer late in the summer. Finally got it set up last week and have been zwifting while dreaming of east coast hardpack. However a problem. 8 rides and 7 flats. Typically get a flat, patch the flat, then switch tubes on next flat.

Flats have been pinholes on the tire side of the tube about 6-inches from the stem and typically on a seam. When i've patched the flat, hole develops adjacent to the edge of the patch. I've been consistent with tire pressure at 100psi and have always checked calibration. For tires, I'm using conti 5000s with about 1000 road miles. I've switched out the rear tire for the front tire thinking my problems would be over, but no, still flatted. I've inspected tires, cleaned the inside of the tires with rubbing alcohol. I was going to pour some stans in the tube, but unfortunately the core wasn't removable on current tubes.

So what am i missing? go to a trainer tire? calibrate tighter? Calibrate looser and risk wheel slip? I figure i can buy a lot of tubes as compared to the cost of a direct drive trainer.
you check the inside of the tire for debris?

a trainer tire will be quieter, but any road tire should be fine.

if it appears in the same place it is the rim or tire.
run at max pressure too (might be 110?)

humor me on this one - mark the rim and tire with some painter's tape and a sharpie to see if the tire is moving on the rim.
just a guess, but worth checking.

Hmm that’s an odd one. I’ve been riding an indoor wheel on trainer (cycle ops fluid2) for more than 7 years (even before Zwift was a thing!) and can’t recall getting a rear flat tire ever.

The only thing I can think of is that the Conti 5000 is heating up too much and “melting “ a hole in the tube. I have a set of 5000s on my main road bike and not really thrilled with how much they have worn out since September. (I ride about 500-600 Miles a month)

I have been using a beefy all season type road tire with a spare wheel on my bikes and trainer for years and never have had to change it. I will snap a pic what I have on there when I get a chance.

I have never used a trainer specific tire so I can’t say if better or worse but I have seen more people complain about trainer tire wearing out a little faster.

Just remember that whatever road rear tire you ride indoors with a wheel on trainer I would not Recommend riding it outdoors (ie don’t use the same tire indoors and then outdoors) as my experience is that it still makes the tire smooth and slick and not safe for outside riding even if it’s not trainer specific.

Bottom line. Maybe pick up a spare rear wheel for trainer use only and then put on a new tire that’s got some more meat on it to rule out the heat factor. Shouldn’t be too much money but not assuming I know what you consider affordable.

Hope that helps.

Could be a combination of heat and weak tubes. Were the tubes all part of the same batch? Try a different brand. Read Amazon reviews - bad tube batches seem pretty common as no tubes get good scores!

I had a similar issue years ago when I left my road bike in the car for after-work rides. Would come out ready to ride only to find a flat tire. Internet forums claimed it was impossible as the heat is not high enough to melt the tube or increase the air pressure enough. Happened a few times and stopped when I started covering up the wheels.

Anyone have a heart rate strap/monitor recommendation? I have a Garmin Edge 530. I'm borrowing a Tacx Neo from a friend for a bit to see if I can tolerate indoor riding on one of the new smart trainers.

Anyone have a heart rate strap/monitor recommendation? I have a Garmin Edge 530. I'm borrowing a Tacx Neo from a friend for a bit to see if I can tolerate indoor riding on one of the new smart trainers.
CooSpo on Amazon. $30 and it works. Battery is replaceable.

Back
Top Bottom