The Indoor Cyclist's support thread

I did a ZHQ Future works anti sandbagging race last night. Got my first podium in the C race. Finished 9th but after all the cheaters were removed got 3rd.
1607212578249.jpg

Why people don't join. Zwift power is mind boggling. That's were the true results are.

How much leeway do they allow before you're judged as a sandbagger? I ask because I see you averaged 0.2w/kg above the C cat max.
(This is not meant to be judgmental at all)

I'm sure it has to be where you consistently perform above your grade, not just according to one amazing day. Certain courses can certainly "bust" your normalized power with repeated high intensity efforts.

How much leeway do they allow before you're judged as a sandbagger? I ask because I see you averaged 0.2w/kg above the C cat max.
(This is not meant to be judgmental at all)

I'm sure it has to be where you consistently perform above your grade, not just according to one amazing day. Certain courses can certainly "bust" your normalized power with repeated high intensity efforts.
That's a great question. I'm not sure. I imagine they give some leeway. I think that is what these race are about gathering Data.

so take your peloton bike, add your power pedals, and this gadget.
then zwift away! virtual shifting! brilliant.

The categories are very clear.
  • A: 4+ W/kg.
  • B: 3.9-3.2 W/kg.
  • C: 3.1-2.5 W/kg.
  • D: 2.4-1 W/kg
Those are for an hour or take 95% of your best 20 minute. Race length doesn't matter.

Those are for an hour or take 95% of your best 20 minute. Race length doesn't matter.

it was a 20 minute race - so can he take 105% of the category?

also, one can exceed it for the first time (or maybe more?) and then be forced to upgrade.
they pushed me out of the Ds after a win and exceeding the threshold, but didn't dq me since
i had not exceeded it before. now i'm fodder. :(

so take your peloton bike, add your power pedals, and this gadget.
then zwift away! virtual shifting! brilliant.

i still can't believe that the peloton bike costs so much money and you have to manually turn a fucking dial. it's just a stationary bike from the 1980's with a monitor strapped to it

it was a 20 minute race - so can he take 105% of the category?

also, one can exceed it for the first time (or maybe more?) and then be forced to upgrade.
they pushed me out of the Ds after a win and exceeding the threshold, but didn't dq me since
i had not exceeded it before. now i'm fodder. :(

It's supposed to be based on your one hour power (i.e. 95% of best 20 minute) regardless of race length. Unfortunately, they don't always make that very clear. Double unfortunately, the whole w/kg system has many flaws.

Right now you can do pretty much whatever you want :). The worse you'll get is a DQ in Zwiftpower, for which half the racers don't belong anyway. ZP also allows at least a 0.1 buffer for categories before DQ'ing. As a low-mid B, my results are often worse in ZP. For whatever reason, the few riders I manage to beat don't belong.

Quick check. I just pulled the trigger on a Saris H3 trainer w/o doing much research. Í'm replacing a used PowerTap wheel I bought 10+ years ago running on a CycleOps Fluid. I read a recent trainers buying guide from DC Rainmaker and found out a lot of these are out of stock (I guess COVID+winter coming). He mentioned that if you find an H3 on sale for $800 "it's a no brainer". I did and I just ordered it.

Is there any reason why I might want to cancel the order? I'm hoping I'm not missing anything :)

The H3 is a solid trainer! It was a toss-up between the kicker and H2 at the time when I was shopping and only went with the Kickr cuz I got a better deal. You really can't go wrong with any of the elite level trainers.

I knew this was going to happen :) So, I'm reading that the H3 driver is not compatible w/ 12-speed MTB cassettes and thinking, ok, no problem, my road bike has, how many speeds? It turns out 9! The cassette I have now is a Shimano 105 9-speed 12-27. Is this is not compatible with an XD driver, right? Are there 9-speed cassettes for XD freehubs? I couldn't find any. Am I screwed and need to upgrade the drive train of my 2002 Cervelo One? :)

I knew this was going to happen :) So, I'm reading that the H3 driver is not compatible w/ 12-speed MTB cassettes and thinking, ok, no problem, my road bike has, how many speeds? It turns out 9! The cassette I have now is a Shimano 105 9-speed 12-27. Is this is not compatible with an XD driver, right? Are there 9-speed cassettes for XD freehubs? I couldn't find any. Am I screwed and need to upgrade the drive train of my 2002 Cervelo One? :)

get a cheap 11 sp mtb cassette that is Xd
mount an 11 sp der+shifter - ya don't need brakes = so full jacket and some zip ties.
no need to worry about weight - so GX would do it.

or get the shimano driver and go with what ya got.

get a cheap 11 sp mtb cassette that is Xd
mount an 11 sp der+shifter - ya don't need brakes = so full jacket and some zip ties.
no need to worry about weight - so GX would do it.

or get the shimano driver and go with what ya got.
Hmm. I do have an 11-speed mtb cassette, RD and shifter. So I'd leave the DuraAce crankset 53-38 and change the chain to an 11-speed chain?

I don't like spending $70 to bring my brand new brainer trainer to the cave era, but it's an option. I know that everything works with that drive train.

Back
Top Bottom