The Indoor Cyclist's support thread

Help me out here.
Is that like crossresults.com?

it tracks your HR/power numbers from organized events to get you classified into the correct races.
you could join a d race and win once, then you will be DQ'd if you race it again, upgrade to C, Win there, then get into the mix in the A or B group!
the telemetry is good - observed FTP20/5/1 watts w/kg etc.

i think mine is public https://zwiftpower.com/profile.php?z=1034002

Another good free resource is the ask a cycling coach podcast. Lots of good Information in there if you can get past the Tri talk (not always bad), the product plugs (the product is actually good but if you dont use it you won't know what they're talking about), and the range of questions they are taking. They take questions from the entire spectrum of cycling levels so some stuff may seem elementary.

As I’ve been putting in some hours in doors I've remembered/relearned some things.

4. Extended rides will really give you an opportunity to dial in the bike fit. Do some googling for bike fitiing and there are some basics you can use to get in the ball park. I thought my bike was set good but after 90 minutes my knees started to hurt. After changing saddles a few times, a crap load of saddle height and cleat adjustment, I finally got it set up.
That was my cx bike. Now I'll reset my mtb.

Pro Tip - NEVER EVER EVER change your position due to how the bike feels on the trainer during the winter.

My experience:

My road bike that I had a fitting done on gave me knee issues (right knee only) after a few hours on it outside. Or 20 minutes on the trainer. I could easily do a ride indoors and 40 minutes in screw my knee up enough to not be able to ride for 2 weeks. Trainer was a great way to figure out an issue that was minor on the road.

It was also a way I could figure out it was the road bike and not my knee which has bothered me for years. I set the CX bike up this season, no issues, which led me to fiddle with the road bike.

Who uses road bikes anymore except for the trainer anyway? :)

I think the reasoning is outside doesn't always equal inside. Mostly because you have the wind pushing you up and generally more support from leg power. It's why it's recommended to raise the front wheel slightly higher than the rear while on the trainer.

My experience:

My road bike that I had a fitting done on gave me knee issues (right knee only) after a few hours on it outside. Or 20 minutes on the trainer. I could easily do a ride indoors and 40 minutes in screw my knee up enough to not be able to ride for 2 weeks. Trainer was a great way to figure out an issue that was minor on the road.

It was also a way I could figure out it was the road bike and not my knee which has bothered me for years. I set the CX bike up this season, no issues, which led me to fiddle with the road bike.

Who uses road bikes anymore except for the trainer anyway? :)

I think the reasoning is outside doesn't always equal inside. Mostly because you have the wind pushing you up and generally more support from leg power. It's why it's recommended to raise the front wheel slightly higher than the rear while on the trainer.

I read that 3 times and still can’t decipher a point. ?. When you get a bike fit, they do it on the trainer. I’ve never heard otherwise but definitely keep an open mind to logic.

Because I said so :)

No seriously the main reason is that the bike & body are static on the trainer. Unless your a super disciplined TT'er outdoors everything is moving. Even on a preceved flat road there are slight pitch changes. The other thing is just the pure suck factor of riding the trainer, you've got nothing better to think about than how bad it feels it's not the bike it just sucks. This is part of the reason I haven't ridden a trainer ( other than a brief warm up at a CX race) in decades I ride rollers. With rollers you & the bike are not static.

I read that 3 times and still can’t decipher a point. ?. When you get a bike fit, they do it on the trainer. I’ve never heard otherwise but definitely keep an open mind to logic.

Yes I had the fit done on the trainer. But the pain would exhibit itself after more time than what was spent on the trainer during the fitting.

Point is, since you're in one spot issues can exhibit themselves quicker than they would be outside where everything is shifting around.

He had a bad fit.

Yes fit's are done on a trainer becouse it's the only way the fitter can get proper measurements. A good fitter is going to ask you what if any issues you are having and then by looking at your current set -up make recomendations on changes to help. They will then tell you to go out and put in some miles to see how it worked out and adjust as necessary.

If your bike fit doesn’t hurt on the trainer it’s not going to get worse when you take it off.

If you have pain, adjust the fit. It’s insanity to suggest to suck it up for the next 4 months.

Makes sense. I can see having to make some adjustments once I take this bike outdoors. I feel like when I ride different bikes (xc, trail, cx, road, hard tail) , I’m constantly tweaking the fit on each trying to get it to feel like the last one I was on, and gotten accustomed to.

If you have pain, adjust the fit. It’s insanity to suggest to suck it up for the next 4 months

Exactly. I adjusted to be comfortable for long indoor sessions. So far so good. But like I said I can see feeling like I need to adjust when I take it out again.

If your bike fit doesn’t hurt on the trainer it’s not going to get worse when you take it off.

If you have pain, adjust the fit. It’s insanity to suggest to suck it up for the next 4 months.

If your bike fit doesn't hurt outside it shouldn't hurt on the trainer. I'm not talking about actual pain I'm talking discomfort. Riding indoors is just uncomfortable suck it up thats part of what makes it effective. FWIW my limit indoors is 2hrs and thats maybe twice a year most days are 1-1.5.

If your bike fit doesn't hurt outside it shouldn't hurt on the trainer. I'm not talking about actual pain I'm talking discomfort. Riding indoors is just uncomfortable suck it up thats part of what makes it effective. FWIW my limit indoors is 2hrs and thats maybe twice a year most days are 1-1.5.

Perhaps, but in his first post he said, "My knee started to hurt." Hurt is not discomfort, it indicates pain.

I‘m sorry but two disciplines are incongruous. Riding on a fixed stationary trainer causes constant and consistent pressure and vibration simply not possible when riding IRL. Same bike, same fit, same fitness, same day yet I can go for hours out on the road w/out any pain or numbness but I can’t cross the 45 min mark before I experience one or the other...and by 60 min, both on the trainer. Like clockwork. That’s not so say that it happens to everyone, there are plenty of folks here that can ride several hours indoors with the same setup I do yet they don’t experience the same issue(s). I think it may have something to do with the individuals physiology. How or should I say where their nerve and circulatory system pathways are located relative to the touch points. I learned the hard way after eye surgery that the path the nerves develop in the body are very different person to person after having one too many cut.

Back
Top Bottom