The Indoor Cyclist's support thread

The VZ router is SON so it automatically connects to 5ghz when it’s available and drops to 2.4 when it’s not.

And why POE APs ? A mesh setup will be just as effective.

mesh is nice if set-up correctly - i've seen claims of 400mbs in gigabit served homes.
in reality, i'd expect much slower - especially if the base isn't central to the system causing more hops.

high frame rate 4k video is 70mbs - exactly how much speed is needed?

can also prioritize the traffic from the zwifter (i'm running apple tv/iphone companion) - both wireless in this case - but only 20' from the AP/cable modem.

blame the neighbors, between all the electrical interference from their car chargers and playing siege non-stop, they are an internet nightmare :D

The VZ router is SON so it automatically connects to 5ghz when it’s available and drops to 2.4 when it’s not.

And why POE APs ? A mesh setup will be just as effective.
In most cases, yes, but mesh is just a Wifi extender. Because extenders may bounce to other extenders and need to bounce back to the main unit, you lose throughput and increase interference and potential packet loss. PoE AP's are wired back to your central unit. If I was building a new house, I would definitely wire it up for PoE AP's. Otherwise, mesh is a lot easier to set up and manage and 99% of people will be fine with it.

mesh is nice if set-up correctly - i've seen claims of 400mbs in gigabit served homes.
in reality, i'd expect much slower - especially if the base isn't central to the system causing more hops.

can also prioritize the traffic from the zwifter (i'm running apple tv/iphone companion) - both wireless in this case - but only 20' from the AP/cable modem.

blame the neighbors, between all the electrical interference from their car chargers and playing siege non-stop, they are an internet nightmare :D
In most cases, yes, but mesh is just a Wifi extender. Because extenders may bounce to other extenders and need to bounce back to the main unit, you lose throughput and increase interference and potential packet loss. PoE AP's are wired back to your central unit. If I was building a new house, I would definitely wire it up for PoE AP's. Otherwise, mesh is a lot easier to set up and manage and 99% of people will be fine with it.

The new mesh systems have over a 1 Gbps backhaul. You guys aren’t up to date on your WiFi tech. ?

N should still support 300, but there will always be a slight drop in Wifi speeds regardless with walls, etc. I'm sure you know, but if you have multiple bands, also check if you may be connected to your 2.4Ghz band which would is typically at least half as slow as your 5Ghz band. The optimal set up would be a PoE switch with PoE AP's throughout the house, but I know maybe 5 people that have this over the usual ISP modem and router in one room.

Our old house is built like a faraday cage (wire lath in some of the walls) so POE AP's are key. Ubiquiti Unifi APs have been the jam. I still like wires wherever possible.

Need recommendations for a good mesh system for the in-laws house. Anybody use the Ubiquiti AmpliFi mesh stuff at home?

The new mesh systems have over a 1 Gbps backhaul. You guys aren’t up to date on your WiFi tech. ?
You right yo, I wasn't that familiar with this backhaul mumbo jumbo. Just looked it up and are you referring to Ethernet backhaul? So it's basically a mesh with the addition of what AP's would provide, but a bit easier to set up because mesh? You still need wires in this case, so I'm not sure why this is so great. Again, in most cases, Wifi mesh is sufficient for 99% of people.

Our old house is built like a faraday cage (wire lath in some of the walls) so POE AP's are key. Ubiquiti Unifi APs have been the jam. I still like wires wherever possible.

Need recommendations for a good mesh system for the in-laws house. Anybody use the Ubiquiti AmpliFi mesh stuff at home?
I don't have experience with their mesh, but I'm sure it's awesome too because Ubiquiti stuff is the shit. I think @graveyardman67 is wired with Ubiquiti as well, but not sure if it's AP's or mesh?

interesting - i knew the backhaul was on a dedicated channel, guess it makes sense that it is also AC speeds or better.

Blah blah....occasional word I know....blah blah... huh?

I think I’m going to walk into the cablevis....Optim....Altice? Office, show them the thread and say wtf?!?! I’ve got like the equivalent of flip phone speed here! ?

I wasn't that familiar with this backhaul mumbo jumbo. Just looked it up and are you referring to Ethernet backhaul

Wireless backhaul. The VZW routers share similar guts with Ubiquiti.

N should still support 300, but there will always be a slight drop in Wifi speeds regardless with walls, etc. I'm sure you know, but if you have multiple bands, also check if you may be connected to your 2.4Ghz band which would is typically at least half as slow as your 5Ghz band. The optimal set up would be a PoE switch with PoE AP's throughout the house, but I know maybe 5 people that have this over the usual ISP modem and router in one room.

This is what I did. But have Poe injectors on the two lines for a/p

This is what I did. But have Poe injectors on the two lines for a/p
1573772454704.jpg

As I’ve been putting in some hours in doors I've remembered/relearned some things.
1. You need to drink a lot of water.
2. Fans are game changers. I need to invest in a new one... Lasko fans seem to be the choice of indoor cycling veterans.
3. If you are training after fasting (wake up and ride), a gu and a cup of coffee go a long way.
4. Extended rides will really give you an opportunity to dial in the bike fit. Do some googling for bike fitiing and there are some basics you can use to get in the ball park. I thought my bike was set good but after 90 minutes my knees started to hurt. After changing saddles a few times, a crap load of saddle height and cleat adjustment, I finally got it set up.
That was my cx bike. Now I'll reset my mtb.

As I’ve been putting in some hours in doors I've remembered/relearned some things.
2. Fans are game changers. I need to invest in a new one... Lasko fans seem to be the choice of indoor cycling veterans.
3. If you are training after fasting (wake up and ride), a gu and a cup of coffee go a long way.
4. Extended rides will really give you an opportunity to dial in the bike fit. Do some googling for bike fitiing and there are some basics you can use to get in the ball park. I thought my bike was set good but after 90 minutes my knees started to hurt. After changing saddles a few times, a crap load of saddle height and cleat adjustment, I finally got it set up.

my fans are on a remote - so they don't come on while i'm freezing my ass off at the beginning. Probably dumb, cause it only takes 5 minutes to warm up.

water! your avatar will remind you to drink..

please report back on moving indoor settings to outdoor.
I try to stand and get in the drops to relieve contact points. Quick release seatpost clamp for speedy changes.

did you hook up zwift with strava? wanted to stalk you numbers.

I have the the headwind and it a godsend. Stoooopid $$$$ but worth every cent to me. It’s linked to my HR monitor so I never have to remember to turn it on, i have it set to HR intensity i set it to off until it goes over 100, low to about 115, med to 129 and then hurricane level =>130. you can link to speed too if that works for you and of course manually control.

Back
Top Bottom