The Indoor Cyclist's support thread

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I‘m sorry but two disciplines are incongruous. Riding on a fixed stationary trainer causes constant and consistent pressure and vibration simply not possible when riding IRL. Same bike, same fit, same fitness, same day yet I can go for hours out on the road w/out any pain or numbness but I can’t cross the 45 min mark before I experience one or the other...and by 60 min, both on the trainer. Like clockwork. That’s not so say that it happens to everyone, there are plenty of folks here that can ride several hours indoors with the same setup I do yet they don’t experience the same issue(s). I think it may have something to do with the individuals physiology. How or should I say where their nerve and circulatory system pathways are located relative to the touch points. I learned the hard way after eye surgery that the path the nerves develop in the body are very different person to person after having one too many cut.

riding outside is generally easier on your contact points. You stand, spin backwards, take more breaks, etc. Like you said you can ride outside for hours but inside things flare up. (Paraphrasing). But extended session
inside expose a poor fit. That’s what I noticed on my cross bike, which is what I’ve been dialing in. Now, when I take it back to a cross practice or race I may feel like adjusting something but probably only a minor tweak to the handlebars or saddle.
This is just my observation. Everyone is different especially with things like this.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
As a person who has experienced overuse injuries, and a lot of them, it all comes down to individual body mechanics.

I used to ride inside. Trainers in the basement and seasons of spin classes. I have found I can’t ride inside. My issues flare very quickly when I ride inside. It’s from not changing positions. I have found I ride inside very differently than i ride outside. I sit too long, push a harder than needed gear, and if I get out of the saddle, it is definitely not the same. Spin bikes don’t move around you, you move around it. And unless you are rocking your trainer in your basement side to side, you aren’t doing what you do on trail or road. That stationary situation, for me, is a recipe for disaster. Those small adjustments I make riding outside, stopping while coasting, leaning and moving around while cornering, getting out of the saddle to get up a hill all contribute to a better situation for my mechanics. I need to move around. If I sit and grind with no variation, I get injured. My joints and bursa send a message to stop.

To claim it’s just bike fit is not the case, unless your body’s mechanics work that way. None of this stuff is one size fits all.

After research, visits to orthos and PTs, and taking the long road back to being able to ride regularly, a bit of unsolicited advice: if you are experiencing discomfort, don’t let it get to pain. Pain is too late. And working through that kind of pain gets you nowhere but off the bike for extended periods.

Glenn Rides After 4 PM CST

Team MTBNJ Halter's
My road bike is the most comfortable bike on my trainer.
I have taken that fit and applied it to all my bikes. I have not touched the seat hight since I picked it up from Hilltop. It that perfect!
I think the biggest change that yielded the most relief was switching to the 3 bolt SL pedal.
So much float my knees feel great.

jShort

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I got one of these- lasko pro performance 4900 and it’s a game changer. No more sweat puddles. I’m not a heavy sweat person to start with but I’d still have a few puddles. Once I started using this, that was a thing of the past.

100% recommended.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lasko-Pro-Performance-High-Velocity-Blower-Fan-4900/308483618

I’d also recommend pairing with a remote outlet on/off plug so you can just turn it on and off when you want it.

288F5FED-D2AF-411C-8B92-3D15DE2C5173.jpeg

jShort

Team MTBNJ Halter's
If you have a fan setup, but find that turning it on or adjusting it is tough when on the trainer, get one of these. It’s pretty damn convenient.

26B9C5BD-B2E7-4DD0-B207-C357A636E26E.jpeg

trener1

jShort

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Not trying to be a smart ass, but can someone please explain to me why one would need "indoor clothing"? I have been riding a trainer for 15 years and I can't think go one instance where I felt like I needed a garment that I didn't already have.

Obviously there are luxury items. But 100 for nice shorts isn’t exactly unheard of. Plus, they aren’t limited to indoor use. The shirt can be a nice base and the shorts are just regular shorts. This, like most things in the bike industry Is just marketing.

Also, if you’ve never Had a Rapha bib, I’d really recommend trying one. By far my most comfortable bib. Maybe it just fits my butt better. I wear them under baggys that don’t come with a chamois.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Obviously there are luxury items. But 100 for nice shorts isn’t exactly unheard of. Plus, they aren’t limited to indoor use. The shirt can be a nice base and the shorts are just regular shorts. This, like most things in the bike industry Is just marketing.

Also, if you’ve never Had a Rapha bib, I’d really recommend trying one. By far my most comfortable bib. Maybe it just fits my butt better. I wear them under baggys that don’t come with a chamois.
The hat is the best
Rapha_Harris_01_10_19_0531

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
My first thought with indoor cycling was spin classes or similar group setting for the indor-specific clothing.

Personally I thought everyone does old bibs and whatever for a top. I typically end up topless on the first hard effort unless it's a really easy ride.

If anything, it does make sense to spend extra $$ on Rapha shorts if they're comfortable due to the whole same-position problem of indoor riding.

goldsbar

My indoor cycling attire consists of old spandex shorts with holes in them and old running shirts. My avatar is styling, though.

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
You definitely need the comfort on the trainer more then ever. Just my 2c

This is true. I don't use my best gear, but I do usually double up on the chamois when training indoors. I'm no expert, but I think part of it is that when you're actually riding on the road, the road is pushing back on you. On a trainer, it's just you pushing on the bike without the same level of force pushing back on you. So, especially on hill efforts, you drive yourself into the saddle more than you actually would on a similar ride in the "real world".

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
i've been changing positions, as if outside.
in the drops, hoods, tops, stand up. seems to have helped.
i kinda follow the zwifter avatar. even grab my bottle when he does.

TMI: i wear the removable chamois from an old baggie. not too tight, and mesh!

Mahnken

I've been thinking about getting the kinetic r1 in the hopes it would be a more comfortable indoor ride. I want to step up to a direct drive trainer, but haven't decided which way to go yet.

Top Bottom