The Guitar Player Thread.

hi guys,

happy holidays! i’m finally making a solid effort to learn guitar and now looking for an instructor near allendale in bergen county. any recommendations are welcome.

thanks,
jon

hi guys,

happy holidays! i’m finally making a solid effort to learn guitar and now looking for an instructor near allendale in bergen county. any recommendations are welcome.

thanks,
jon

If you’re like a actual beginner, Guitar Center will be a good place.

Thought I would also tap into the experienced crowd here for my youngest son Zach (now 17) who is looking for some lessons, specifically on how to read and follow music and improve his improv skills.

He's been playing electric bass since 6th grade and has progressively gotten so much better. In the last year or so he's gone all in on his music, even deciding to give sports a rest for now so he can focus more on it.

Aside from the local music store schools, or his school teachers (who have limited time anyway), anyone here know someone in the Morris county area that gives lessons, and what's the going rate these days?

Thought I would also tap into the experienced crowd here for my youngest son Zach (now 17) who is looking for some lessons, specifically on how to read and follow music and improve his improv skills.

He's been playing electric bass since 6th grade and has progressively gotten so much better. In the last year or so he's gone all in on his music, even deciding to give sports a rest for now so he can focus more on it.

Aside from the local music store schools, or his school teachers (who have limited time anyway), anyone here know someone in the Morris county area that gives lessons, and what's the going rate these days?

I'm sure there will be plenty of suggestions, so I'll just offer my experience. I picked up bass during the pandemic and started taking lessons here in Morristown: https://www.originalmusicschool.com/. I can certainly vouch for the bass instruction with Connor being excellent. He's a pretty serious theory nerd guy and would be great for improving reading and improv. Although bass is his primary, I know that he does guitar instruction as well. I pay $50 for a half hour lesson once a week. I think if you go twice a week there's a slight discount and also sometimes discounts available for signing up for a block of lessons.

I'm sure there will be plenty of suggestions, so I'll just offer my experience. I picked up bass during the pandemic and started taking lessons here in Morristown: https://www.originalmusicschool.com/. I can certainly vouch for the bass instruction with Connor being excellent. He's a pretty serious theory nerd guy and would be great for improving reading and improv. Although bass is his primary, I know that he does guitar instruction as well. I pay $50 for a half hour lesson once a week. I think if you go twice a week there's a slight discount and also sometimes discounts available for signing up for a block of lessons.
awesome thanks and very local Morristown is only 20 ish minutes from where I live.

I know it’s not quite the same but online lessons open up a lot of options. There’s even apps like guitar pro that will load up your favorite songs and let you slow them down while it scrolls the tabs note for note. I learned a ton of songs that way years ago but you don’t really get any music theory out of it…it’s just muscle memory which is still all I got after twenty years of playing lol.

I have a book out that goes through Theory for guitar players that isn't super boring. It concentrates on what we need to know. What scale to play over what key to get what kind of sound type stuff. What do I need to play over a chord for it to be Minor vs Major vs Phrygian? How do I beat Ralph Machio in a Guitar Duel for his soul? That kind of thing.

Amazon product ASIN 1540030997

I know it’s not quite the same but online lessons open up a lot of options. There’s even apps like guitar pro that will load up your favorite songs and let you slow them down while it scrolls the tabs note for note. I learned a ton of songs that way years ago but you don’t really get any music theory out of it…it’s just muscle memory which is still all I got after twenty years of playing lol.
Yeah he’s done some virtual lessons and online stuff but to his credit he really wants to get the 1:1 instruction to make it more impactful and keep himself accountable.

Hes very good At learning stuff by ear and playing tabs but he wants to….

<cliche warning >

Take it to the next level.

Back
Top Bottom