TDF updates

D

DANSPANK

I have a question, more related to all road biking and not just the TDF, and forgive me for being stoopid; riding in a pack/peleton means the group can ride faster as there is less wind resistance for the people in the pack. But that still means that kids at the front have to pedal hard right? Or is there some kind of bow wave affect that helps push them along?

Or is it just that you're only exerting yourself when it's your time up front, and then you just cruise faster when you're in the pack?

MTB Aussie

I have a question, more related to all road biking and not just the TDF, and forgive me for being stoopid; riding in a pack/peleton means the group can ride faster as there is less wind resistance for the people in the pack. But that still means that kids at the front have to pedal hard right? Or is there some kind of bow wave affect that helps push them along?

Or is it just that you're only exerting yourself when it's your time up front, and then you just cruise faster when you're in the pack?
You got it here with the last sentence. Ride on the front for too long and you blow up. Even when one team decides to chase down the breakaway they still rotate the team members on the front.

I have noticed a bit of a bow wave though, you can ride a little back and a little out and still get a decent draft, hence why the front of the pack seems to be V shaped.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad

BikeBen's new avatar is going to make you really chuckle!!!!! Drafting Yambags, can't get much better than that.

D

DANSPANK

Yeah, I saw that - Hitch bollocks! Nice.

Ahem, back to the TDF. It's pretty exciting so far!

MTB Aussie

No spoiler just a quote

“A bastard of a time trial,” is how Magnus Backstedt began to describe the race today. “It’s a headwind and hilly on the way out and mainly climbing to about 10km from the finish. After that it’s basically just long, dragging descents with a full on tailwind. Gear selection is a major, major issue today. I had a 54x11 and it was nowhere near enough on the way back!
“If I had the chance to do it again, I’d have a 50 on the inside and a 57 on the outside. We’re talking about 82 or 83km/h on the way back to the finish! It’s long descents and, with the wind, you’re just flying. If you don’t have the right gear to push, then you’re just spinning like mad.”

-quoted from TdF official site.

50mph! :eek:

ArmyOfNone

Quote of the day

"This is not for the nervous!" Phil Ligget speaking as the field swallowed up the leaders. I was :rofl: Good race. I wont say no more now for I risk SPOILING everything.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Can't wait! I didn't think the main field would let the break escape again...espcially with no time bonunes!

Mk1Racer

Really cool this year, very exciting. Oh, and average pace for Schumacher was 30.7 mph for just shy of 30 km. That's haulin' freight folks! I saw one gear choice mention a 56T big ring w/ a 11T small cog on the back. That's a BIG gear (~40 mph @ 100 rpm).

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
not spoils

Without spoiling todays stage, did things get really jumbled up with the first really hilly stage?

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
i can't wait today - and i can't get to any site online.

wha happened? spoil away plz...

F

FallGirl1430

Late breaking news ...

It's a shame that the italian rider Ricco Suave' and his team has been kicked out out the tour. I just found out that former Versus TV show anchor man Al Trautwig was tested positve for EPO and was replaced by the new host Greg Hummer :D

Name witheld ... :)

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
Wow, I was kinda rooting for that team since they ride Scott (my road bike). Shame that one dude had to ruin it for the two guys that won stage 11.

BiknBen

Wow, I was kinda rooting for that team since they ride Scott (my road bike). Shame that one dude had to ruin it for the two guys that won stage 11.

Only Ricco was kicked out. The team was not removed by the ASO (TdF Organizer). The SD team decided to withdraw on their own. That being said, the team would have been under tighter scrutiny and pressure. The withdrawal is closer to a surrender than a good sporting gesture.

This should not effect the results of the other riders on the team. Unless their blood work turns up positive in tests too. :rolleyes:

I find it more than coincidence that all the positives this year are involving Spanish riders. Remember Operation Puerto came out of Spain. It also a place that racers flock to live because of their relatively relaxed laws associated with doping offenses.

We should stop testing for EPO and give IQ test instead. There are too many idiots in the peloton. :getsome:

Last edited:

Maurice

Only Ricco was kicked out. The team was not removed by the ASO (TdF Organizer). The SD team decided to withdraw on their own. That being said, the team would have been under tighter scrutiny and pressure. The withdrawal is closer to a surrender than a good sporting gesture.

This should not effect the results of the other riders on the team. Unless their blood work turns up positive in tests too. :rolleyes:

I find it more than coincidence that all the positives this year are involving Spanish riders. Remember Operation Puerto came out of Spain. It also a place that racers flock to live because of their relatively relaxed laws associated with doping offenses.

We should stop testing for EPO and give IQ test instead. There are too many idiots in the peloton. :getsome:

I believe Ricco is Italian. Watch those hasty categorizations.

Agreed on the IQ tests. They're not so much idiots as greedy people. The amount of money involved will make a lot of ambitious people take risks. To put things in perspective: one stage win in the TdF buys you a decent house, several sets you up for life, the yellow jersey in Paris no comment...

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Once again, the only time the tour makes any of the mainstream sports fan blogs is when something bad starts to happen.

The 4th lead story on both ESPN and Yahoo Sports. So much for taking back the tour, or whatever the ad campaign was.

Top Bottom