Suggestion to bike shop owners!!!

MST.ESQ

I am not posting this to bash - but in an honest attempt to get shop owners to take a look at their service departments. I had two very poor experiences recently with two well established shops. The most recent involved a simple task - replace all cables. Well, yesterday I suited up for a ride and was heading down the driveway when I noticed a very loud metal-on-metal noise. Upon inspection, it was clear that the front shifter cable was never tensioned. There was only one dent on the cable making it clear that it was not a matter of slippage. I attempted to shift into the large ring, but it was nowhere close to being aligned for the shift. It is clear that the front cage was bolted tight, with no attempt to get the right tension. OK, I thought, just missed this one I guess. However, same issue in the back. The cable was clamped down tight but the derailleur was trying it's best to skip cogs. WTF? As I held the cable to adjust - the crimp end simply slid off in my hand. Again, WTF? I paid over $100 alone for this service.

I would love to be able to ignore this as a one-off issue, but when I picked up my road bike at another major shop (again, I know that many employees are on this board) last week for bar tape, I returned home with end plugs that were not lined up correctly and had a double fold in the tape causing the plug to be at an extreme angle. My wife spotted that one logo was upside down and that the black finish tape started at the top on one side, and at the bottom of the other and that one side had several wrinkles where the installer attempted to get back in line. My wife was furious with me that I just spent $200 in service and still had to sit in the basement to align a drivetrain and re-tape my bars. She wanted to know why I did not return to the shop to chew them out.

The upside is that she gave me permission to expand my tool collection to do more work on my own. But more importantly, she went off on a rant about bike shops that must not care enough to retain business. This got me thinking... perhaps there needs to be a renewed effort of shop owners to sit down with service personnel and explain what it means to take that extra second to double check work. I mean seriously, do you think I want my bar end plugs installed upside down with wrinkles in the finishing tape?

FWIW, I truly hope this will prompt shop owners to have a sit down tonight with the service department to discuss the importance of customer service and doing a good job. With the state our economy, I (and especially my wife) were sad to see the lack of effort that was put into the work done on my bikes. In fact, she demanded that I take my trainer bike to a new shop to see if they are more enthusiastic about their work. Did you get that? I risked getting another lecture from my wife if I took my bike back to these two shops. Also, she is in the market for an Ultegra equipped carbon bike - and guess which shops she refuses to shop in? I don't know about you, but it was a sort of a wake-up call to me. I truly love dealing with my local shops vs buying over the internet. But to be honest, I may be going that route to avoid getting dagger eyes every time I ask for $200 to get work done on my bike. It would be easier to hide the internet shopping through paypal and simply do the work myself.

Again, I apologize if this comes across the wrong way, but I love to deal with local shops and I am also frustrated that my wife refuses to buy her bike at one of my two favorite shops.

I am not posting this to bash - but in an honest attempt to get shop owners to take a look at their service departments. I had two very poor experiences recently with two well established shops. The most recent involved a simple task - replace all cables. Well, yesterday I suited up for a ride and was heading down the driveway when I noticed a very loud metal-on-metal noise. Upon inspection, it was clear that the front shifter cable was never tensioned. There was only one dent on the cable making it clear that it was not a matter of slippage. I attempted to shift into the large ring, but it was nowhere close to being aligned for the shift. It is clear that the front cage was bolted tight, with no attempt to get the right tension. OK, I thought, just missed this one I guess. However, same issue in the back. The cable was clamped down tight but the derailleur was trying it's best to skip cogs. WTF? As I held the cable to adjust - the crimp end simply slid off in my hand. Again, WTF? I paid over $100 alone for this service.

I would love to be able to ignore this as a one-off issue, but when I picked up my road bike at another major shop (again, I know that many employees are on this board) last week for bar tape, I returned home with end plugs that were not lined up correctly and had a double fold in the tape causing the plug to be at an extreme angle. My wife spotted that one logo was upside down and that the black finish tape started at the top on one side, and at the bottom of the other and that one side had several wrinkles where the installer attempted to get back in line. My wife was furious with me that I just spent $200 in service and still had to sit in the basement to align a drivetrain and re-tape my bars. She wanted to know why I did not return to the shop to chew them out.

The upside is that she gave me permission to expand my tool collection to do more work on my own. But more importantly, she went off on a rant about bike shops that must not care enough to retain business. This got me thinking... perhaps there needs to be a renewed effort of shop owners to sit down with service personnel and explain what it means to take that extra second to double check work. I mean seriously, do you think I want my bar end plugs installed upside down with wrinkles in the finishing tape?

FWIW, I truly hope this will prompt shop owners to have a sit down tonight with the service department to discuss the importance of customer service and doing a good job. With the state our economy, I (and especially my wife) were sad to see the lack of effort that was put into the work done on my bikes. In fact, she demanded that I take my trainer bike to a new shop to see if they are more enthusiastic about their work. Did you get that? I risked getting another lecture from my wife if I took my bike back to these two shops. Also, she is in the market for an Ultegra equipped carbon bike - and guess which shops she refuses to shop in? I don't know about you, but it was a sort of a wake-up call to me. I truly love dealing with my local shops vs buying over the internet. But to be honest, I may be going that route to avoid getting dagger eyes every time I ask for $200 to get work done on my bike. It would be easier to hide the internet shopping through paypal and simply do the work myself.

Again, I apologize if this comes across the wrong way, but I love to deal with local shops and I am also frustrated that my wife refuses to buy her bike at one of my two favorite shops.

Sadly, I've been in this same situation a couple of times myself and hate looking like a fool. :(
I do most of my own work now and even when I don't, I'm usually sorry that I didn't :( x2

I chalk it up to "luck of the Irish" or "Murphy's law" in my case. I have the same luck with mechanic work and house stuff too. No one ever does a better job than I do (usually quality is an issue). They almost always do it faster but that's never really been important to me.

It sucks to have to learn to do every damn thing myself and buy a million tools but it's my curse. :D

Good luck!

Last edited:
Not for nothing, but don't you check what you paid for was done before you leave? I always take my bike for a spin or at least give it a once over before I leave. I understand more complex issues won't be found on a simple spin around the parking lot, but the shifter cable one you mentioned would. Looking over the bar tape would also have raised a flag.

Sure, if you catch something you feel like an ass telling them, but at least it would be fixed on the spot by the bike shop, save you a drive back to the shop, and less downtime.

Once you leave it's a hassle for you to go back and fix it. I get that, but take 30 seconds and go over what you paid them to do.

Great point Pearl. I always give a spin before it goes on the rack. And have found stuff that needs a quick tweak to fix.

Sorry, but I'm not going to take part of the blame here, and not just because it was 34 degrees at 8pm and pouring rain when I picked up the bike.

Yikes!... that's a shame. I would have been right back to the shop and ask for them to fix right there on the spot.
I could see if it was the Spring rush, maybe something might slip by... but there really is no excuse for something like that.
I always double check my work, because I really don't want you coming back in unhappy... I would rather you come back in stoked with a sixer or some tasty grub. :)
I would go back and speak with either the service manager, or owner... whoever it is that can do something for you.
Good luck

JohneeOxford:

Speaking of wanting to buy beer for the mechanics, you just reminded me of an exceptional experience that I had this past summer while in Colorado for Ride The Rockies. I flew in the night before and long story short, returned from the mobile on-site hospital to tent city to find that my bike box was missing. As I bolted toward the nearest cop car... I noticed my bike hanging on a mechanic stand at the WHEAT RIDGE CYCLERY tent getting assembled and fully tuned with a second mechanic sitting by the truing stand with my wheels. Every other shop had already left for the next town, but these guys stuck around to work on my bike. Turns out that the mechanic asked the nurse about me and went over to find the bike box with my name on it because it was clear that I was in no condition to put it together myself that night. And to top it off, the mechanic refused my $40 tip so I had to slip it into his tool box when he was not looking. I started the ride on time early the next morning (still hopped up on anti-nausea meds) and finished all 500 miles that week. The bike ran better than when it was new.

Now, I obviously don't expect everyone to go to this length, but if this shop happened to be on the east coast, I could guarantee that my wife would be buying her new bike there.

Sorry, but I'm not going to take part of the blame here, and not just because it was 34 degrees at 8pm and pouring rain when I picked up the bike.

The reality is the service industry is not what it used to be 20 years ago. Whether it be a bike repair or getting your take out order right. I always check my stuff before I leave. The shop I used to work at, the staff was encouraged to have customers take a lap around the parking lot. So, sorry but IMO you gotta check your stuff before you leave.

That's awesome... and it's even more awesome that you were so grateful for their service...
For the mechanics, I would think its not such a big deal to assemble and tune your bike, but it was to you, which is the important part.
Its funny how many people you meet with bike emergencies that need your help like right now, and receive nary a "thanks" for helping.
Thank you for caring... and keep passing it on man!

It's getting harder in the industry to find good mechanics. Lifers like myself are becoming a rare breed. I know that when I work on a bike, I treat it as my own and think about how I would ride it. I personally do at least twice as much to the bike as the customer asks for. There's a lot of mechanics out there that don't ride bikes, don't go to them. Ask them where they rode yesterday, if they say "nowhere", find someone else to talk to.

-Jim.

call the owner, they need to know! "I've had a bad experience at the shop recently" - really, they want to know.

new employee? old one with something else on their mind? - they need to talk to that person and bring their focus back or other action. and i'm sure they will make it right with you. as your title suggests, you can deliver news straight up.. or like the rest of us just tell em your w is on you a$$ - they'll understand.

after owning a business (not bike) for 20 years i'd rather know something happened than have a customer just disappear - which won't appear on a report for a year.

$.02

when jim works on my bike he tells me what he fixed that i didn't know was wrong.....n/c

I'm not asking you to take blame or responsibility, as it is clearly not your fault at all, but offering a way to not waste your time in the future. Take 30 seconds and save an hour and a future headache.

Sadly, I've been in this same situation a couple of times myself and hate looking like a fool. :(
I do most of my own work now and even when I don't, I'm usually sorry that I didn't :( x2

I chalk it up to "luck of the Irish" or "Murphy's law" in my case. I have the same luck with mechanic work and house stuff too. No one ever does a better job than I do (usually quality is an issue). They almost always do it faster but that's never really been important to me.

It sucks to have to learn to do every damn thing myself and buy a million tools but it's my curse. :D

Good luck!

I’m in the same boat, started working on my bike because of shops not paying attention to small and sometimes major details. I’m a happier rider because of this.

I still feel that knowing a good shop is important, but like Pearl said I always double check everything.

It's getting harder in the industry to find good mechanics. Lifers like myself are becoming a rare breed. I know that when I work on a bike, I treat it as my own and think about how I would ride it. I personally do at least twice as much to the bike as the customer asks for. There's a lot of mechanics out there that don't ride bikes, don't go to them. Ask them where they rode yesterday, if they say "nowhere", find someone else to talk to.

-Jim.

Jim is spot on here. We get people looking to work all the time who simply won't cut it. The worst mechanic I have seen in years was a recent United bicycle school grad. (Who now works at another local shop btw)

The bike industry simply does not command the pay scale equal to the knowledge base needed to work on today's bikes. Compatibility issues, disc brakes, suspension and electronics have all become a part of our daily routine.

Quite often, when detail oriented folks in this industry( like Jim) top out, they find jobs in other industries that better compensate their technical ability.

Furthermore we have moved to a society that prefers to punish less than perfect service and ignores good service. The practice of hiding behind online screen names vs dealing with an issue in person rarely solve anything ( not aimed at the OP)

To add to this, the young generation of newbies is so entitled and frankly lazy, that it is nearly impossible to find new, young shop rats.

Your best bet is to find the Go-to guy in your LBS and introduce yourself. Building this relationship may put you and your bike under the microscope in the future. Showing that you care about your bike can result in better care of your bike.

To add to this, the young generation of newbies is so entitled and frankly lazy, that it is nearly impossible to find new, young shop rats.

truth.
So dont be afraid to higher older people to become shop rats with the right drive and love but may need a little training.

Your best bet is to find the Go-to guy in your LBS and introduce yourself. Building this relationship may put you and your bike under the microscope in the future. Showing that you care about your bike can result in better care of your bike.

Golden truth. I have to admit, I can be VERY picky on who I allow to touch my bikes, depending on the work they need and which bike it is needing servicing.

Another truth: everyone screws up once in a while. You have to tell them, then give them the opportunity to FIX the issue. You should tell them.

This is not just in the bike shops I interview a lot of people for my company and I am shocked by the generation of people that don't "give two sh!ts" when I talk to them. I think the whole work force in the next 15-20 years as us old timers retire is going to be screwed...

We usually hire one kid every summer to work upstairs. They sweep up, take out the garbage, hang up bikes, pretty basic stuff. By the time that summer is up I seriously want that kid to die. Every one of them has been a complete wise-ass.

I'm waiting for the holy grail when that punk kid we hire for the summer is actually into bikes and wants to learn.

JDog is right about the pay thing. A lot of guys make the jump out once they top out. 2 of our guys left to work for Shimano, 2 left to work for Cannondale, our Warehouse manager left to work for Sram and 2 guys left to open their own shops. Filling some of those higher end positions is not easy when they'll end up making about the same amount of money as the guy working drive-thru at McDonalds. With the consumer shift to online buying I can only see this getting worse as the shops get squeezed harder and harder.

-Jim.

Back
Top Bottom