stimulus check came!!!

I ride Times, but would recommend Shimanos for the first time clipless rider due to adjustable tension. Get the feel for clipless then ditch the Shimanos for Times down the road.

Mike

its looking like im going to pick up the shimanos. ive been getting very postive feedback on them. i cant wait to take em on the trails so you all can watch me bust my ass a ton. ahahaahah.

i cant wait to take em on the trails so you all can watch me bust my ass a ton. ahahaahah.
it is almost like a rite of passage.....the best is the stop pedaling fall over still attached to the bike..:) if you are around I am going to try and stop on the way home Monday night for a little ride will try for a 5-ish landing.
l8tr

it is almost like a rite of passage.....the best is the stop pedaling fall over still attached to the bike..:) if you are around I am going to try and stop on the way home Monday night for a little ride will try for a 5-ish landing.
l8tr

i gotta work until 5 and a have afew things to do afterwards so i wont be around till tuesday night.

I ride Times, but would recommend Shimanos for the first time clipless rider due to adjustable tension. Get the feel for clipless then ditch the Shimanos for Times down the road.

Mike

This is pretty much what I did over the years, ( some dalliance with frogs in the mid- 90's), I still have my old spd's from '91 and they worked great 'till the day I got a new bike with a newer version. I can give you a pair if you don't mind used goods.

Yeah you're not going to need to spend $600 for SPDs. I have some too but I think you live closer to Brian. I'd definitely take him up on that offer then spend your $600 on the next best thing!

l8tr

The best is when you spend 2 hours in the trails riding with no problems. Ride from the trail head to the outside bar which is packed with people. Stop, forget to click out and bust your ass in front of the entire bar, and look like a complete ass. That was my rite of passage........

Eggbeaters

I was an SPD guy all the way until late one night on a muddy Allamuchy (is that an Oxymoron?) when I was kicking the mud out of the shoes to get clipped back in. Some dood in the dark flew past and had one piece of advice "eggbeaters". I haven't used anything but since. My only complaint is they wear pretty fast and they release if you happen to bottom them out on a log. Otherwise they are great for mud clearing and hold tight but release easy.

hey MIG wheres my check man...and with that money you should have got ice cream for all the guys and gals at the ride on tuesday night...even though i would have missed it...

Sorry to thread jack but on the topic of pedals as a new rider and not at all confident to just jump right into clipless pedals can you guys reccomend a pedal for me ?

I'm not sure of the brand that's currently on my bike, but it's traditional pedal on one side and clipless on the other. I hate when my foot winds up on the clipless side as I'm headed up or down some technical terrain . I don't wanna have to think about having to flip it over to the other side.

I'm just a bit hesitant about going clipless just yet, I have no interest in taking a nasty spill bacause I couldn't get my foot out quick enough ( ok call me a ***** now ) .

I'm just a bit hesitant about going clipless just yet, I have no interest in taking a nasty spill bacause I couldn't get my foot out quick enough ( ok call me a ***** now ) .

Shimano pedals can be adjusted so there is little tension holding your foot to the pedal. As your skill progresses you can increase tension to suit you. Just go for it and you will be happy that you did.

Sorry to thread jack but on the topic of pedals as a new rider and not at all confident to just jump right into clipless pedals can you guys reccomend a pedal for me ?

I'm not sure of the brand that's currently on my bike, but it's traditional pedal on one side and clipless on the other. I hate when my foot winds up on the clipless side as I'm headed up or down some technical terrain . I don't wanna have to think about having to flip it over to the other side.

Sounds like you have a pair of Shimano clipless peddles. My bike came that way as well with a platform on one side and clipless on the other. I didn't know that the platform was just a click in removable platform just for test riding at the shop. I am positive if you twist the platform sideways it will click out and you will have a full set of SPD peddles. Which are great for learning since they are adjustable. Just set them fairly loose and get out there and ride......

i just put my cleats on and adjusted the tension on the pedals. i havnt installed em yet(will do that tonight) but i did try clicking in by hand and it went in and out smoothly. i cant wait to install em and give em a whirl.

Pedals which you can adjust tension are great for beginners. Previous pedals I've used didnt adjust and they just made me frustrated and almost went back to flats. Until I switched to a set of pedals(Shimano m540's) that are tension adjustable, they are great!!! I'm more confident riding through techy terrain and I have already tightened up on the tension. Glad I didnt give up because I just hate when you hit some techy/rough spots and your feat start flying off the pedals. Hope you have fun learning your new pedals. Keep on ridin!!!:)

Pedals which you can adjust tension are great for beginners. Previous pedals I've used didnt adjust and they just made me frustrated and almost went back to flats. Until I switched to a set of pedals(Shimano m540's) that are tension adjustable, they are great!!! I'm more confident riding through techy terrain and I have already tightened up on the tension. Glad I didnt give up because I just hate when you hit some techy/rough spots and your feat start flying off the pedals. Hope you have fun learning your new pedals. Keep on ridin!!!:)

thanks for the kind words. better than the words i got yesterday from mr chainsaw when i had NEVER ridden clipless. "ooh come on just put em ooooon". hahaah needless to say i took a hard spill 5 minutes later. ida taken a HARDER one had i had the clipless on. hahahaah. hes threatened by my amazingness and is trying to break me. hahaahah. syke!

Back
Top Bottom