Simple vs techy—-Wahoo Element Bolt vs Garmin Edge 530

Once you setup the Bluetooth connection to the phone and/or the internet through wifi it will upload automatically. Unless Garmin gets hacked again. I’ve only used the cable connection to update the firmware and the maps, but I think last update was installed wirelessly. I can see the buttons be a less intuitive interface than the touchscreen, that’s why I ended up buying the 830, but that is the only difference between the two models.

Because so they can sell you another overpriced brick with all some of the ports you actually need. And claim it’s featherlight.
My apple products including the batteries have lasted 5 fold what any of my windows products have lasted. And no viruses to date.

Should have gotten the roam, better navigation than the bolt. People really buy these garmin rear radars? I'm more interested in why and what you get out of it.
If you ride the road it’s a no brainer. Anything to keep me safe. I think it works much nicer on the bolt despite dropping signal. Why would you not want something that gives you a heads up when vehicles approach?

If you ride the road it’s a no brainer. Anything to keep me safe. I think it works much nicer on the bolt despite dropping signal. Why would you not want something that gives you a heads up when vehicles approach?

It sounded interesting but how does it keep you safe? Can it tell you with enough warning that a car is going to hit you? Or just that there's a car approaching?

It also changes the light pattern when cars approach to signal them and it helps riders behind you know when they are coming.
It sounded interesting but how does it keep you safe? Can it tell you with enough warning that a car is going to hit you? Or just that there's a car approaching?
I don’t have one, but can attest that they are bright AF, and yes, the motion gets more erratic when cars approach. I think you can change how it notifies you on the head unit. No, it cannot provide a safety shield for a car not to hit you.

Should have gotten the roam, better navigation than the bolt. People really buy these garmin rear radars? I'm more interested in why and what you get out of it.

yea my wife got me one in late may, its pretty nice, when paired with the headunit it beeps when a car approaches, shows you how far back the car is (dot moving up the side of the screen), gives you a warning on approach speed (it changes color to yellow/orange/red based on approach speed), shows how many cars are behind you (more dots on the screen), changes blink pattern to attract driver attention, varies light settings based on ambient light, and turns itself on/off with your garmin. I certainly like it.

Apple has their own new port. I bought an adaptor now but everything should be wireless by now.

usb-c is not an apple port, thats the new standard thats making its way into everything. there are just some things that dont need to be wireless and offer 0 benefit as such, therefore USB should not be going away. (for one memory sticks/cards and cd/dvd drives, i can see making bt standard for keyboards/mouse maybe even webcam (but then you need batteries in your webcam, ill take a pass)

i mean it doesnt know the cars exact trajectory, just that its behind you and how far behind you.

there is also a connect IQ app you can add to the garmin that counts how many cars pass you, and records their approach/overtaking speed.

Needs counter-measures.

1599227071597.png

Apple has their own new port. I bought an adaptor now but everything should be wireless by now.

Macbooks use usb type C. Which is what all new android phones and iPad pros use. You can get a type C to micro usb cable for less than 10 from Amazon.

Seems to me it would just be a distraction. There are cars on roads - who woulda thunk it?

Every single roadie in my area has one.

I'm curious as to how it helps. If it lets you know every car that's approaching, it'll probably lose its impact pretty quickly. And for the cars that are going to hit you, most of the time knowing they're coming won't really help you prevent it - there's just not enough time. I have the Cycliq cameras, which do nothing to prevent an accident, but can be used as evidence if you get hit. They have a function that automatically locks the video when an impact is detected. Unfortunately, I think that's a more realistic tool. I have one for both front and rear on my commuter bike. (Of course, since no one is ever leaving heir homes for work ever again, it seems like kind of a waste now.)

I'm curious as to how it helps. If it lets you know every car that's approaching, it'll probably lose its impact pretty quickly. And for the cars that are going to hit you, most of the time knowing they're coming won't really help you prevent it - there's just not enough time. I have the Cycliq cameras, which do nothing to prevent an accident, but can be used as evidence if you get hit. They have a function that automatically locks the video when an impact is detected. Unfortunately, I think that's a more realistic tool. I have one for both front and rear on my commuter bike. (Of course, since no one is ever leaving heir homes for work ever again, it seems like kind of a waste now.)
It’s not an end all to dying on a road bike but why not use anything that helps? And a good light isn’t cheap anyways. I like the loud beeps signifying something is coming fast. You do have time to pull the trigger and gtfotw

It’s not an end all to dying on a road bike but why not use anything that helps? And a good light isn’t cheap anyways. I like the loud beeps signifying something is coming fast. You do have time to pull the trigger and gtfotw
if you’re riding out on empty roads, a lone car can sneak up on you when you’re not expecting it. I think it’d be pretty useful for that.

I guess, but in my experience, the scarier encounter is when I'm on a busier road and all of the sudden one of the cars is much closer to me than the others. I'm used to riding in traffic (if I couldn't get used to that, I couldn't ride in my area) so having cars come up behind me is something I get very used to. It only becomes a problem when one comes much closer to me than it should. And I don't think this thing would differentiate those, would it? I mean, if you're saying that it has a way to differentiate a car that's going to pass you with three feet to spare vs. one that's going to pass with, say, one foot to spare then I totally agree that's worth having. But if it can't, it doesn't address my need - I don't need cars to even obey the four foot law. I just need them to reasonably give me some clearance. Three feet is plenty. One foot leaves no margin for error. I want to know about the ones that are going to be a foot or less away from me. I don't need to know about anyone else, but if this thing beeps for anyone within coming up behind me, it's going to lose its impact pretty quickly and I won't pay attention to it.

yea my wife got me one in late may, its pretty nice, when paired with the headunit it beeps when a car approaches, shows you how far back the car is (dot moving up the side of the screen), gives you a warning on approach speed (it changes color to yellow/orange/red based on approach speed), shows how many cars are behind you (more dots on the screen), changes blink pattern to attract driver attention, varies light settings based on ambient light, and turns itself on/off with your garmin. I certainly like it.

But I thought most of your road rides are on government/military property - how many times do you get passed by M1 Abrams tanks? 😛

Back
Top Bottom