Simple vs techy—-Wahoo Element Bolt vs Garmin Edge 530

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
axs came out early in 2019, might want to check your math.

Also anyone who is trying to still use buttons instead of a touch screen . . . . . your doing it to yourself.
You're right. My maths are wrong. It was almost 8 years ago....bro...https://road.cc/content/news/161555-sram-launches-red-etap-wireless-groupset

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
That’s one thing I’d love to see. I want to set the fields up through my phone. If you could share screen setups from other people by device to device that would be even better.
Yes, and once again, those Garmin buttons are a pain in the ass!

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I really like the 530 and think the buttons are easy to use. Don't miss the touch screen at all.

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
Wahoo is also awesome because you set it up through the app.
That’s one thing I’d love to see. I want to set the fields up through my phone. If you could share screen setups from other people by device to device that would be even better.
While I don't know if you can set the fields initially from your phone with Garmin yet, in this latest set up, I was able to import all of my existing ride profiles from the 830 into the 530 directly through the GarminConnect app. It also carried over all of my other features (like the Strava connection, notifications safety features, etc.) In fact, aside from getting used to buttons again, the only actual "set up" I had to do this time was create the bluetooth connection to my Kickr because I didn't have that connection on my 830. (BTW, I'm finding the buttons are MUCH easier to use if I don't have the silicone case on - especially right now when I have thicker gloves on. I just did a ride this morning where I felt like an elephant trying to use a Blackberry just switching between ride profiles.)

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
While I don't know if you can set the fields initially from your phone with Garmin yet, in this latest set up, I was able to import all of my existing ride profiles from the 830 into the 530 directly through the GarminConnect app. It also carried over all of my other features (like the Strava connection, notifications safety features, etc.) In fact, aside from getting used to buttons again, the only actual "set up" I had to do this time was create the bluetooth connection to my Kickr because I didn't have that connection on my 830. (BTW, I'm finding the buttons are MUCH easier to use if I don't have the silicone case on - especially right now when I have thicker gloves on. I just did a ride this morning where I felt like an elephant trying to use a Blackberry just switching between ride profiles.)
I want to be able to set up profiles and screens on my phone, and then transfer that setup to my Garmin. Garmin doesn’t support that.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I can't even find them with gloves on.

You'll get used to it quickly. I can hit them with my winter gloves on without issue.

BTW, I'm finding the buttons are MUCH easier to use if I don't have the silicone case on - especially right now when I have thicker gloves on

I've never used a case, but yeah I can imagine that would make it harder. Once you know where the buttons are, you can push them without even feeling them though.

I want to be able to set up profiles and screens on my phone, and then transfer that setup to my Garmin. Garmin doesn’t support that.

I agree this is dumb and should be something they offer.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
You'll get used to it quickly. I can hit them with my winter gloves on without issue.

I've never used a case, but yeah I can imagine that would make it harder. Once you know where the buttons are, you can push them without even feeling them though.

I agree this is dumb and should be something they offer.
Disagree. I’ve had this one for 3 months. Also, why is it like 5 button presses before the ride will upload? Once you hit save that should be it. I have to click summary blah blah blah each time. The live segments is very poor quality as well. Not enough info. On wahoo I can see speed, time remaining, time from whoever I am chasing as well. The wahoo is super easy to zoom the map as well. Want to ride back to the start? Simple…so many simple to use features. My ridewithgps routes still don’t show properly even though they are all pinned. Tried disconnecting/reconnecting wtc. Like I said, solely for the vo2 max feature. Everything else wahoo does better.

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
Yeah, I know what you mean. My point was simply that if you've already done the work on an earlier unit, you don't have to redo it. So aside from the first time you set up your screens (in which case you have to go through the whole screen navigation thing on the Garmin as opposed to what would likely be an easier interface on your phone) there is no additional effort. If you want to change them at any time, you're probably doing more manual work on the Garmin, but how often do you change your screens? I used to have separate profiles for racing vs. training for MTB and then I'd have others for road, gravel, etc. I don't think I ever changed any of them once I set them up.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I am thinking of getting the 530. Does anyone know if it works international? Is it just a matter of downloading a region to the 530? Or is the unit itself locked into a region or continent?
My 830 worked in France last year, although I can't remember if I had to add a base map.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
My 830 worked in France last year, although I can't remember if I had to add a base map.

Sounds like it has a base map for the whole world, but only a detailed map for the region it was purchased in? I also used mine in France, and I do recall seeing streets and stuff, but GPS turn by turn routing may not have worked. I didn't try using it though.

tonyride

Don't piss off the red guy
TBH the only reason I'm using the 530 is because it works well with Shimano's E-Tube on my ebike.

Danimal

looking to get into the comp game and looking at the Wahoo Roam. Anyone have experience with the V1 vs V2?

Top Bottom