Simple vs techy—-Wahoo Element Bolt vs Garmin Edge 530

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
I guess, but in my experience, the scarier encounter is when I'm on a busier road and all of the sudden one of the cars is much closer to me than the others. I'm used to riding in traffic (if I couldn't get used to that, I couldn't ride in my area) so having cars come up behind me is something I get very used to. It only becomes a problem when one comes much closer to me than it should. And I don't think this thing would differentiate those, would it? I mean, if you're saying that it has a way to differentiate a car that's going to pass you with three feet to spare vs. one that's going to pass with, say, one foot to spare then I totally agree that's worth having. But if it can't, it doesn't address my need - I don't need cars to even obey the four foot law. I just need them to reasonably give me some clearance. Three feet is plenty. One foot leaves no margin for error. I want to know about the ones that are going to be a foot or less away from me. I don't need to know about anyone else, but if this thing beeps for anyone within coming up behind me, it's going to lose its impact pretty quickly and I won't pay attention to it.
It typically beeps if cars are approaching faster than normal and coming directly towards you. Makes you look over shoulder and cover your ass.

Cassinonorth

I'm curious as to how it helps. If it lets you know every car that's approaching, it'll probably lose its impact pretty quickly. And for the cars that are going to hit you, most of the time knowing they're coming won't really help you prevent it - there's just not enough time. I have the Cycliq cameras, which do nothing to prevent an accident, but can be used as evidence if you get hit. They have a function that automatically locks the video when an impact is detected. Unfortunately, I think that's a more realistic tool. I have one for both front and rear on my commuter bike. (Of course, since no one is ever leaving heir homes for work ever again, it seems like kind of a waste now.)

Unless you're riding in NYC, there's plenty of gaps in cars which is a huge factor when trying to avoid potholes or debris. It's been a game changer for my safety on the road. I feel like cars respect you more when they see you moving out of the way when they approach.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
But I thought most of your road rides are on government/military property - how many times do you get passed by M1 Abrams tanks? 😛

that was true before corona, now i have to ride on public roads like the rest of you peasants. . . . .:eek::oops:

Karate Monkey

Whoa... kill 2 birds with 1 stone but whats up with the saddle boner?

Serious answer incoming:

Since the handlebars put the rider in a super upright position (sit up and beg), they would be biased towards sliding forward; pushing into the pedals would push them back off the elevated nose. The leather saddle, additionally, sags in the mid-span, so the rider would find a natural depression in the leather that they would settle into to, likely right in front of the metal frame in the back.

You actually see the same thing on beach cruisers, though it doesn't look nearly as pronounced due to the way the saddle is constructed.

goldsbar

It sounded interesting but how does it keep you safe? Can it tell you with enough warning that a car is going to hit you? Or just that there's a car approaching?
It's more like it lets you hog the whole road. Looking over your shoulder at 30+ is no fun, 40+ downright dangerous. You can take the whole road on a descent OR know that a car is right behind you and be ready to handle a crappy part of the road. Same with tight group rides when your coming off of taking a pull or something like that. Uphill, 99% of the time I hear a car before the Varia picks it up. I've never heard anyone say the wish they hadn't bought it. Can you do the same thing with a $10 dork mirror? Probably.

As for the Element question, the phone interface simplicity is awesome. Navigation is somewhere between fair and totally sucks, depending on what you're trying to do. When mine breaks (or they break it via another botched update), over to Garmin I go. DC Rainmaker had a good overview with his review of the Roam. Basically said Garmin was blowing it and Wahoo gave them a good kick in the ass with the Element. With the 530, roles basically reversed. Roam (according to him) is barely an upgrade while the 530 is great.

Last edited:

rick81721

Lothar
Navigation is somewhere between fair and totally sucks, depending on what you're trying to do. When mine breaks (or they break it via another botched update), over to Garmin I go. DC Rainmaker had a good overview with his review of the Roam. Basically said Garmin was blowing it and Wahoo gave them a good kick in the ass with the Element. With the 530, roles basically reversed. Roam (according to him) is barely an upgrade while the 530 is great.

Can't compare the roam to the 530 (last garmin I had was an 810) but at least on the road, navigation was flawless. Don't see how anything could be significantly better - either it works and is easy to follow or it doesn't. Will see this week how it works on a trail system.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Can't compare the roam to the 530 (last garmin I had was an 810) but at least on the road, navigation was flawless. Don't see how anything could be significantly better - either it works and is easy to follow or it doesn't. Will see this week how it works on a trail system.

good at following a programmed course, bring up the map and try to zoom and pan to see where you want to go.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
6 of 8 rides the garmin has froze on me. I was doing intervals at bell works yesterday and I turned around while in a live segment. Poof...frozen. I spent another hour trying to set it up. Garmin is over complicated geekware with many flaws. I will stick with the bolt until my karoo 2 comes in. I like dcrainmaker but his review of the garmin is way off. Wahoo is so simple with buttons u can hit every time on the dime.Navigatio is good enough for me.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
6 of 8 rides the garmin has froze on me. I was doing intervals at bell works yesterday and I turned around while in a live segment. Poof...frozen. I spent another hour trying to set it up. Garmin is over complicated geekware with many flaws. I will stick with the bolt until my karoo 2 comes in. I like dcrainmaker but his review of the garmin is way off. Wahoo is so simple with buttons u can hit every time on the dime.Navigatio is good enough for me.
You should contact Garmin
6 out of 8 is not normal from my experience.
Had my 530 for a little bit over a year and it froze only once and has not happened since. You may have a defective unit.

rick81721

Lothar
good at following a programmed course, bring up the map and try to zoom and pan to see where you want to go.

Not sure what you mean - if I'm just riding I zoom out to see what trail I might want to take. In any event, I use navigation maybe a handful of times a year so this whole thing is pretty much moot to me

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Not sure what you mean - if I'm just riding I zoom out to see what trail I might want to take. In any event, I use navigation maybe a handful of times a year so this whole thing is pretty much moot to me

zooming out on the trails makes the trails disappear, either because of "level" of trail or off the side of the screen.
ie - suddenly the trails are gone,and only the dirt roads or border roads are visible.

rick81721

Lothar
zooming out on the trails makes the trails disappear, either because of "level" of trail or off the side of the screen.
ie - suddenly the trails are gone,and only the dirt roads or border roads are visible.

That's a feature of the bolt, not the roam - bigger screen

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Agreed. Mine has froze once or twice in the year I’ve had it.

Mine has frozen 0 times. I use it for navigation regularly. Had it a year? At least. IDFK.

OP DT needs a refund. The unit is defective.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Not worth it. I’m a blue collar guy that doesn’t want to spend a day setting the unit up. The bolt is so simple it’s awesome. Wish the nav issue didn’t work me up. Everyone I know says “yea, the garmin takes sone time to set yp and it can be frustrating”. Not for me.

Top Bottom