Ships Log: Fat Aircraft carrier war games

Took the carb apart, rear needle was sticking a bit...
20191002_204028.jpg

@Patrick problem with the primary not filling was that I didn't realize the process of filling the fuel filter, pump, carb bowls went thru half a gallon of gas.... I am using a can right now as I don't want fuel sitting in the gas tank all winter... So that was easy... Then once I got it running I found the rear needle was sticking. All fixed, running nice now, timing set... No leaks

Shortly after this the cops showed up.... But they just wanted to check out the car

y not just go fuel injected
I'm with you there, aside from the goofy Boss graphics, this 69 has about everything I want. Just too rich at the moment.

Been hunting for a Coyote build, another option is a CJ then add a Holley Sniper EFI

y not just go fuel injected
So your asking me this...so i'll apply this question to my current car....

1. it has the original 390, im not changing that...so that means I need to adapt FI to it
2. even the most simple kit to do this runs over $1000...better systems with port FI are more in the $2000 range
3. Lot of little things need to be change...o2 and other sensors added, wiring for all of this stuff...fuel tank most likely needs to be sumped for a electronic fuel pump.
4. most importantly...carbs are simple, easy and work just fine. On my car about the only advantage you would get from port FI is you might be able to get away with a little lower octane fuel...I guess if I drove it all winter it would start a little easier in the cold....Carbs are NOT points...they are easy to set up, very easy to fix....Mine has been sitting in a box for 4 years, so I figured it would need a little tweaking....

So your asking me this...so i'll apply this question to my current car....

1. it has the original 390, im not changing that...so that means I need to adapt FI to it
2. even the most simple kit to do this runs over $1000...better systems with port FI are more in the $2000 range
3. Lot of little things need to be change...o2 and other sensors added, wiring for all of this stuff...fuel tank most likely needs to be sumped for a electronic fuel pump.
4. most importantly...carbs are simple, easy and work just fine. On my car about the only advantage you would get from port FI is you might be able to get away with a little lower octane fuel...I guess if I drove it all winter it would start a little easier in the cold....Carbs are NOT points...they are easy to set up, very easy to fix....Mine has been sitting in a box for 4 years, so I figured it would need a little tweaking....

ok, why not two carbs? or 3?

1570114971190.png

I'm with @Magic here - this always looks so impressive!

1570115171523.png

Attachments

• 1570115038154.png
    1570115038154.png
    533.7 KB · Views: 136
Sounds real good especially with that cam...

I’d lower the idle slightly so it sounds more nastierer... ya know idle just high enough it doesn’t stall..

wow, 5 years ago today I started my mustang project officially....as in the day I started taking it apart.

10660153_10204943918905851_4255117442710843282_n.jpg

I guess it seems like a long time...but I was at a car show on Friday night and I ran into a guy who had a beautiful 64 ford thunderbolt clone...He was in his 70s...I asked him how long his restoration took, he told me 11 years. 5 years later im pretty happy with everything I have done so far. Im happy that I fixed everything the right way and not the cheap way...im happy with the new paint....I mean ya I wish I could have had it done in a month, but I planned on at least 3-5 years when I first started thinking about this...Then as time went on I realized it will just take the whole time and cost the whole amount. Its pretty hard to know how long it will take to finish...I just pick one thing at a time to do...sometimes its easy, sometimes I get into it and realize I now need to do XYZ first and it takes a while. Im just trying to put this thing together ONCE..not 50 times...so it takes as long as it takes.
Sometimes I think about how much fun this would have been to do with my dad...but then I stop and realize we probably would have TOTALLY stopped talking to each other in like 2 weeks. My dad was a notorious corner cutter, so he would have had a melt down arguing with me about some of the things I fixed/replaced. I remember when we restored a 64 galaxie when I was in HS....we fought constantly over details.....It was kind of like foreshadowing into my later life as an engineer...."Wait, I cant fix/replace this? the budget on this project is a crock of BULLSHIT!" That said, thinking about my dad has kept this project rolling along...While im not a person who thinks my dad will ever see/know about this project...what I do know is that my dad had alot of friends and all of them remember this car when they think about him....The kids I grew up with on my block in Roxbury are now grown up and on FB/Instagram and remember my dad taking them for rides in this car...it was something that was closely tied to my dad...So while ill never feel like im "making him happy" by doing all of this...I do get alot of satisfaction that it triggers happy memories of my dad from alot of people.

Thats ridiculous....my car has a "LIMTED SLIP DIFF" (bc @Santapez reads this and I cant say posi) and thus should never be doing peg legged burnouts like that.

we had some fun taking the old steering wheel off last night...I told him he could keep it...he was very excited.
20191009_182428.jpg

after like 15min he gets bored, then comes back into the garage with his basketball.....to which im like...GTFO with that...So not sure how ill do letting him actually drive this car. Probably similar to my dad who would just tell me...You can drive all day...when im dead...until then, you can wash it. Which brings back funny memories bc he was so anal with me washing that dogshit $200 paint job he had on this car...I mean it was 1 step about rattlecan.

until then, you can wash it.
Yeah, no. "Hey dad, look, I can wash the gravel off the driveway and your car at the same time."

my car has a "LIMTED SLIP DIFF" (bc @Santapez reads this and I cant say posi)
I agree with Santa. Whenever I hear posi, I expect to also hear 440 Six Pack or some other muscle car term. #TeamLSD

Yeah, no. "Hey dad, look, I can wash the gravel off the driveway and your car at the same time."

I agree with Santa. Whenever I hear posi, I expect to also hear 440 Six Pack or some other muscle car term. #TeamLSD
no no no...@santapez gets on me for using the incorrect manufacturers terms for an "LSD"

GM = "Posi traction"
Ford = "Traction Lok" clutch type or "Detroit locker" mechanical type
Mopar = "sure grip"

Problem is that thanks to Marisa Tomei, if I say traction lok, most people wont know what im talking about. :) So posi has just become the universal term for old car LSD.

no no no...@santapez gets on me for using the incorrect manufacturers terms for an "LSD"

GM = "Posi traction"
Ford = "Traction Lok" clutch type or "Detroit locker" mechanical type
Mopar = "sure grip"

Problem is that thanks to Marisa Tomei, if I say traction lok, most people wont know what im talking about. :) So posi has just become the universal term for old car LSD.

She was two years ahead of me at E.R. Murrow H.S. In Brooklyn.
15961C47-B34C-411D-862D-AA31C54D2887.jpeg

Her brother was in my grade.... they didn’t have hashtags in the 80’s but . #bustedattheboarder would cover it. (Adam, not Marisa)

Our school was a couple blocks away from one of NBC’s satellite studios. She’d leave school to tape scenes for the soap opera she was on at the time..... don’t ask which...I don’t remember. :)

Little more mustang work getting done

The guy I know who did my seats a while back came over last night and did the headliner for me.....I wanted this NICE...thus I had a pro do it

20191028_214607.jpg

The other thing I have been working on is replacing the beat up vent window frames. The guy who did the welding for me had a set of vent window frames that he didnt use for his mustang, so he gave them to me...so I figured id just replace the beat up ones on my car. Plus while it was apart i could replace the weather stripping. This has been nothing short of a nightmare as the new frame look nice but nothing #$%^& fits properly. I got it together, but the frames are not straight, so it just does look quite right. After a couple of days of bending and tweaking, im about to punt on them and look into having the originals rechromed.

20191028_214558.jpg

20191029_064722.jpg

Another...."this should take 15minutes, but fuck its now been 10 days" Replacing the steering wheel/fixing the broken turn signal/horn switch. That is the white disc you see in the picture with the pigtail of wires running from it. its pre wired....so that means I had to cut off the connector from the old one, run the wires out, then feed the new wires thru the steering column. So this is not possible with the upper "hub" of the column on the car...so i had to removed that which was a pain....then I noticed that the bearing the steering shaft rides on was all fouled up....So that needed to be replaced. The steering shaft uses a rag joint on the other end where it connects to the steering box, so getting everything lined up to put back together has been a real party I must say.
20191018_144335.jpg

Back
Top Bottom