Ships Log: Fat Aircraft carrier war games

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
Is the braided line for the clutch conversion?

And you're 100% correct about Gary the Tachman and his site.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Has anyone put a Posi in a 9"?... :)
I mean I could have written it as "Taction lok" but Melissa

Is the braided line for the clutch conversion?
Yes, that is correct....which brings me to my other issue which I finally have worked out now...

So the hydraulic throw out bearing conversion has had a few issues. I bought it as a kit from modern driveline...like any kit, it kinda works but it wasnt designed for your car, so have fun. Really, they make most of this stuff for guys building shelby cobra kit cars....Anyway, since im using 1.a stock, original bellhousing 2. a modern style diagram pressure plate (opposed to a long style) it turns out I dont have enough clearance inside the bellhousing. The throwout bearing (round thing with the braided line coming out of it) needs 1/8" of clearance to allow for the clutch wearing over time. So I call them up and explain my issue. They tell me I need this special pressure plate that they make to deal with this.....Im a little annoyed to have to drop $300 on this, but whatever...I really want this set up to work. This requires me to take the bellhousing back off, remove the starter and clutch i had already installed....Even with the car on the lift, this sucks on a 67 big block mustang. As you can see in the pic I posted yesterday, there is 0 space in this engine compartment. Anyway...I take the new pressure plate out of the box, start taking measurements and sure enough the finger height is exactly the same as my current one....Which I kinda figured already....So I call them up and they yell at me how I cant do this and it has to be installed first...ok, fine...I spend the next 90 minutes putting everything back together and wouldnt you know it...its exactly the same height as my current clutch...like with .010...Anyway, long story short...They take the clutch back that I bought and send me this...A 1/4" spacer for transmission. This was $30 as opposed to the $300 for the clutch...shocking that I wasnt sold this first...im just happy that 100% of the components of this kit are made by either wilwood or tilton and not them.

Of course the plate is warped a bit as you can see by my measurements...im guessing they waterjet cut it and didnt hold it down properly. Its not really an issue...I just take the high point measurement and use that. The throw out bearing is threaded, so you spin it around until you get the measurement to the face of the trans (spacer plate) then you lock it in place using 1 of the 4 bolts on the bearing retainer. So now I have the clearance for the throw out bearing....will this extra 1/4" effect something down the line like the trans mount or the driveshaft? probably not? but you know...
20190724_215706.jpg

20190708_170231.jpg

oh I also got the new fuel take installed....which is the trunk floor of a 67 mustang.

20190723_224849.jpg

20190723_224900.jpg

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Its August!

I like to think of August of my rest month...I mean I dont really rest, I just dont race and if its raining, or I dont feel like it...I wont ride. I generally just do whatever in August. After a few years of trying to get used to racing in August, I realized this is stupid...Hardly anyone races in August anyway. I have no major issues riding in the heat, but I can overheat myself at race pace this time of year on a hot/humid day. I remember once during the old Mtn Creek XC race, I pulled over, jumped into the lake, then got back on my bike. So with that in mind, I have only signed up for 2 August race in the past 6 or years. One being Mtn creek bc I wanted to support Dave van wart, the other being Luckys this past weekend to support @xc62701 and the hilltop crew. I have to admit, I give Ryan credit for even putting the idea of a 50 mile race at mooch in AUGUST out there.....Like if anyone so much as mentioned doing something like this at an MTBNJ team meeting?

giphy.gif

Anyway, so with that in mind I signed up and forgot about it. Eventually, myself @pooriggy and @Chris26er decided we would ride a lap together.

So saturday, we met up...I actually brought my big bike since it has a little easier gearing with the 11 speed, is way more fun at mooch and also assures that I wont be doing any racing. We met up with @seanrunnette and @shrpshtr325 and casually rolled out. I had never really looked at the loop....I knew lumpy and rolly were in it, but that was about it....So just about everything was a surprise. Once we left our short track course and looped thru earthworm, I was pretty much lost after that. Anyway, few of the longer technical climbs were slick and there were people walking....Just to keep moving we passed a few people here and I think that split us up with Sean and Bill.....we waited for a bit at the top but they never came....we just assumed they died and hoped that their families wouldnt get to upset with us later...I mean we did wait like 5 whole minutes. What else could we do? After that the 3 of us just rode around and chit chatted about "oh we're going this way?" which added some entertainment. Lumpy was fun as we ran into @RNG1 and a few others....couple of whom had never been on lumpy before and were totally confused as to which way to go. We stopped after lumpy for a bit, then I just took our time until the aid station. The heat was definitely bothering me by then and knew I probably shouldnt eat anything...I mean in a race, I would never stop at an aid station bc usually my stomach hates food when im suffering from overheating. But fuck it, that trail mix looked awesome. We hung out for like 15 min then rolled on...as I expected my stomach was now bothering me and now the heat was too....so at the cut thru on freaking middle 6er and I decided to call it at day....3 hrs moving was good enough for me. I was shocked at how well Ryan and the gang marked that course, like blew away my expectations....I would say I kinda know mooch, like I know turns and features, but i get lost alot in there....at no point did I ever wonder if I went off course...That was impressive. I DO NOT envy the amount of work this had to take.....On top of that, there was tons of food, and everything went about as well as I would expect from a race that hard, on a course that hard. After the race I had to head home as my wife was going to work and I had bob detail...Kids are great at giving a shit if you did a bike race earlier in the day...So with a quick turn around we were out in the row boat fishing.

So that was Saturday...Sunday my wife was working all day so it was going to be Bob and I. I got up early and headed out to the garage with the goal of getting the trans in the mustang. After alot of playing with the new clutch set up, I think I have everything sorted now and it should be good....if its not and the trans has to come back out...Im just going to set the garage on fire and move out of the country.

Actually with my little harbor frieght trans jack, it wasnt TOO bad...its always a pain in the ass to get everything lined up just right, but at least I dont have to lift the 120lbs onto my chest anymore.

20190811_213522.jpg

I cant use the lift with this as its too high and would get in the way of the trans jack, so I had to jack up the car and put it on ramps....Worked out fine, tho I was forced to go back to the days of laying on the floor like a peasant.
20190818_103450.jpg

I sent this too my wife when she texted me from work asking if Robert was asleep....

"no idea"
20190818_211038.jpg

Anyway, the biggest pain was the crossmember because of the aforementioned spacer I needed to use for the trans....it fits, but just barely.
20190818_230330.jpg

So now this is in, next I need to hook up/bleed the clutch and see if it works. Stay tuned.

qclabrat

Joe convinced me to bring the Mustang talk here, so here I am....
Sorry, I'm still not sold on a fastback, as it's more about what I want and resale has zero consideration for me.

Thoughts on this car? not the cleanest, but car is in the ballpark for a sunny weekend driver.
As mentioned to Joe, protouring/restomod is my preference and appear mostly original from the outside. And no tributes and clones please.
The 3 speed trans doesn't check all the boxes but how are the 351 Windsors?
https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/ford/mustang/2291240.html

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Joe convinced me to bring the Mustang talk here, so here I am....
Sorry, I'm still not sold on a fastback, as it's more about what I want and resale has zero consideration for me.

Thoughts on this car? not the cleanest, but car is in the ballpark for a sunny weekend driver.
As mentioned to Joe, protouring/restomod is my preference and appear mostly original from the outside. And no tributes and clones please.
The 3 speed trans doesn't check all the boxes but how are the 351 Windsors?
https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/ford/mustang/2291240.html
Looks like a nice car, very clean...I mean IN PICTURES which is important...you need to see these kind of cars in person of course. But it looks like it was well built, lot of nice parts on it.

351 W - Good...roughly the same size and probably lighter (alum heads/intake) then the original 289, WAY more power.
385HP...very good, that is a light car, PLENTY of power...mine made 350 at the wheels, its heavier and I have run 12s with it...fast enough for a 60s mustang.
AOD...this is a 4 speed auto with overdrive...so should be ok on the highway
4 link rear suspension with coils...this is a nice modification...
mustang II front end...also a very nice mod and will make the car handle and turn MUCH better

Looks like a decent car, price isnt terrible....Like for 36k, you would be getting a pile of crap 67 fastback...A 67 fastback as a shell is worth 20k...so you start with that as a base price and go from there....but a 66 convertible isnt as valuable, so you get alot more for your money. But I think you could cruise around with this, wouldnt be bad on the highway....its a modded 351 with a carb...so its going to be a little more finicky then something like an LS1 with EFI, but its not a commuter car.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Looks like a nice car, very clean...I mean IN PICTURES which is important...you need to see these kind of cars in person of course. But it looks like it was well built, lot of nice parts on it.

351 W - Good...roughly the same size and probably lighter (alum heads/intake) then the original 289, WAY more power.
385HP...very good, that is a light car, PLENTY of power...mine made 350 at the wheels, its heavier and I have run 12s with it...fast enough for a 60s mustang.
AOD...this is a 4 speed auto with overdrive...so should be ok on the highway
4 link rear suspension with coils...this is a nice modification...
mustang II front end...also a very nice mod and will make the car handle and turn MUCH better

Looks like a decent car, price isnt terrible....Like for 36k, you would be getting a pile of crap 67 fastback...A 67 fastback as a shell is worth 20k...so you start with that as a base price and go from there....but a 66 convertible isnt as valuable, so you get alot more for your money. But I think you could cruise around with this, wouldnt be bad on the highway....its a modded 351 with a carb...so its going to be a little more finicky then something like an LS1 with EFI, but its not a commuter car.

interested to hear how it idles. wonder which cam they put in?

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
My take:

351 W - Good...roughly the same size and probably lighter (alum heads/intake) then the original 289, WAY more power. First thought is, how did they fit this? Then I see MII front end.
385HP...very good, that is a light car, PLENTY of power...mine made 350 at the wheels, its heavier and I have run 12s with it...fast enough for a 60s mustang. In a convertible. Has me concerned. Any chassis modifications for the slinky chassis?
AOD...this is a 4 speed auto with overdrive...so should be ok on the highway Toyota Camry of transmissions. Boring but dependable. Parts/service is cheap. Only downside is it isn't a stick.
4 link rear suspension with coils...this is a nice modification... If done right...
mustang II front end...also a very nice mod and will make the car handle and turn MUCH better If done right. Could be worse. But does provide a LOT of engine bay room.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
So another mustang update......

Hydraulic throwout bearing is now bled and seems to be functioning....There are a number of steps left to get it adjusted just right, but I need to wait until the engine is running...Bleeding this system was a pain in the ass and required 2 people, plus a ton of fluid...but its done.

20190902_212927.jpg

So with that done, I started putting the engine together and getting it ready to start up....I had taken it partially apart to put it in the car. Now comes all of the little details...Hoses, clamps, wires, etc...
20190910_225305.jpg

Speaking of wiring......the engine guage harness was pushed back inside the car so they could paint the firewall....So last night I went inside to run it back thru and oh crap...I discovered this mess....

20190910_220115.jpg

stripping it down, I found the melted wire...which I think is actually for the reverse lights.
20190911_104637.jpg

so normally, i would just toss this whole thing right in the trash can and just buy a whole new harness....I did this with the other 2 harnesses already.....The damage was fixable, but with those...the wiring was outside the car and beat up, on top of being 52 years old....Plus the harnesses were fairly cheap to replace...So this harness I can buy brand new...exact reproduction that is well made...BUTTTTTT...its $600.....So since I work with some of the best wiring people I have ever met I brought it to work with me today to get some opinions....so happy happy joy joy.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Bearscat LITE....

So its been a while...I think my last race was Stewart back in the beginning of May.....Really haven't felt much like racing lately...BUTTT...I recently made a few mods to my scalpel and i have been riding it a little more lately...I had a great ride with Mandel, Chris M, Jamie C, and Alex C last week from ringwood to sterling and back...Solid 3.5 hours that was pretty hard and I felt good....that combined with the fact that I flatted out of the Iron Furnace 50K made me want to do another race at Wayway.

I have done the 50 a couple of times....that lap 2 is hard and worse than that, its REALLY REALLY BORING....I just dont like riding bikes enough to spend hours in the woods alone suffering anymore.(sans my headphones)..There was a time when I wanted to prove to myself that I could do it, but once I got past that...eh, just give me 2hrs or so of racing and im good. So I did the 25mi version....which I figured would be in the 2.5hr range.

I didn't pre reg, so I really had no idea who would be at this race, in my class etc....40 or so people in the group....The one guy who I did recognize was matt boobar, who I have raced against before and IIRC has beaten at some point I think anyway...I mean I remembered that he was pretty fast...Anyway, so we take off and into the 15-20min of gravel roads.....kinda fast, few dangerous spots that I hated...but we hit a few hills and I managed to roll up to around 4th or so....One guy is well out in front pulling hard...Turned out to be dan Larino which I didnt realize at the time. Dan and Matt were both in 45+..I didnt realize there were 2 25mi groups since I didnt pre reg, so I just figured I was racing everyone...whatever, just go.

We get thru the prologue and head over to pump house...im sitting in 3rd, Dan has a small bobble on one of the chunkier bits and lets Matt and I pass.....These guys are pulling hard on the fireroads so I figured id stay with them a while and try not to wear myself out. Shortly after, I found that following matt was causing me issues in the rocks...Its really hard to not ride at your own pace thru technical sections, so I decided to pass....I then go with my standard philosophy of: if you pass someone...get the hell away as quickly as possible in the hopes that quickly give up trying to chase you. So i put my head down and drill it for the next few minutes thru the rocks. Next big turn I look back and I see that I have a decent gap....in my head im faster in the rocks than these guys...So any tech section, im pushing super hard...and its waywayanda which I have raced many times in the past 10 years....I know it really well......

had an idea of the sections that were coming up next....White dot up and down, Pickle, rattlesnake up, Tombstone down, pines, fishermans...Just planned on riding this as fast as clean as possible and was hoping id have a decent lead by then.....Made it thru everything really clean...no issues. At the 2 way split, I passed Mandel going the opposite way...I marked the time knowing jeff had a 30min head start on me...so my goal was to make it back to that spot in better than 30min....stupid shit like this keeps me motivated sometimes. Anyway, I kept the hammer down, smashed thru sitting bear, red dot and made it back to the spot in 27min.... Now it was just porcupine, plymouth, black eagle and DONE....Made it to the line in 2:26 and took the win.

Man that was fun...The course was like BEYOND perfect...10 years, i have never ridden waywayanda in such great shape. The course was a great mix of ST with some fire road to break it up. Im not in my best shape right now, but I think I had good day fitness wise...my HR was 146 for 2:26..Not typical pro class race pace, but considering I havent raced in 4 months, i was happy with how I felt.

Food was awesome, course is awesome...Blackbear did a great job putting this on...super fun day!

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
God that's an awful looking interior.

I'm willing to bet that dash clock is a Cobra package. One more luxury item slapped on. It's funny to think we didn't even really have quartz clocks at that time.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Was 69 and 70 the only mustang years with the passenger side dash clock?
View attachment 107164
So thats a 69-70 shelby Gt-350....but that is a very odd looking clock...normally they look like this for 69-70...Im thinking that the car you posted has what looks like A/C....maybe they needed the space behind the dash? Not sure whats going on here

69_deluxe_clock_opt.jpg

As far as clock on the passenger side....I think so, but that would take alot of googling to know for sure....Def. not on 64-68 cars, that much I know

qclabrat

So thats a 69-70 shelby Gt-350....but that is a very odd looking clock...normally they look like this for 69-70...Im thinking that the car you posted has what looks like A/C....maybe they needed the space behind the dash? Not sure whats going on here

69_deluxe_clock_opt.jpg

As far as clock on the passenger side....I think so, but that would take alot of googling to know for sure....Def. not on 64-68 cars, that much I know
Yeah, seems like not all 69 and 70s have the clock. Where can I get a list of all build options? I have seen them for Vettes but have yet to tracked down one for Mustangs. Also what's the goto forum besides here for gen1 mustangs. I've been lurker on a few, but none seem well organized.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yeah, seems like not all 69 and 70s have the clock. Where can I get a list of all build options? I have seen them for Vettes but have yet to tracked down one for Mustangs. Also what's the goto forum besides here for gen1 mustangs. I've been lurker on a few, but none seem well organized.
https://media.ford.com/content/dam/fordmedia/North America/US/2013/11/18/1969_Mustang_Data.pdf

Should be in there somewhere

As far as go to forums...my god there are TONS.....Vintage mustang...VMF...the corral, concourse mustang, stangnet, stangfix, then TONS of ford forums...I use one that is specific to for FE engines...

So the good news....I did get the wiring harness replaced. Took a night with my laptop/wiring diagrams to get all of the wiring sorted, but its done and everything is working. Came home yesterday and finally got to start the engine....I went back and looked...The last time it ran was 10/20/2014...nearly 5 years ago. So it was pretty exciting to get to this point.

Always fun setting off car alarms.....

So the good news is that it fired.....but soon after this video ended I ran into some issues with the carburetor......It has been in a sealed box for 5 years, and even tho I drained all of the fuel from it...these things do not like sitting around. So I realized that im getting no fuel into the primary bowl....The secondary bowl is filling and working, but nothing from the primary. So I eventually took the carb off, removed the needle, bowl, accelerator pump...checked everything...could not find an issue. The bowl and needle were fine, its just not getting fuel. There are a number of other things I need to check, but I was too tired to take everything back off again.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Spider built nest in main fuel inlet?

If there a filter or a screen there?

Exciting times.

Top Bottom