Send me your ideas for Lew Mo

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
There's something about the terrain here that makes it very open to erosion and trail widening. Part is just a tremendous amount of usage, but there's more to it than that. There are few natural boundaries to actually keep people on the trail. They tried to update this place 10-15 years ago and most of those trails were ill conceived and haven't stood the test of time. This has to be done right, with all of those factors in mind.

The thing missing at LM for 10-15 years is the ability to go in and do proper, routine TM. CR has as much or more of the erosion issues but the county lets JORBA in to work & fix trails. Without a crew to maintain things, they will end up like they are today.

Nobody is 100% in building trails. We have been at KT while they were building trails 1 day, then 3 days later they are out moving it because it just wasn't right. Nobody is perfect and the ability to correct is important. The MCPC has not allowed that to happen.

I know I am preaching to the choir in a sense here. I'll stop now.

xc62701

I should add: I live 20 mins from there by bike and will avoid it except for a few times a year when I’m linking it with other parks. I’d rather zwift than ride there...
Well, not really, but there’s so many other good parks out there.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I think all of us who live near it, avoid it like the plague.

Serious question for the trail builders... Is the shitty trail conditions, loose and rooty, avoidable at LewMo? IE, if there's proper drainage will the trails have better dirt conditions?

I've noticed over the last year the trails have gotten much more washed out than they had during the previous 10 years. I assume it's from the increased bike traffic, along with people riding in bad conditions. The trails have certainly gotten wider.

@icebiker I'd like to see completely fresh trails, designed for bikes. For instance I don't think the switchbacks should be removed, they're OK for uphill riding. But I'd rather see another trail meant for flowy downhill that isn't so horrible for going down parallel to them if possible.

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Unpopular opinion: I don’t think bike specific trails will ever happen here.

MAYBE, if we get permission to go in and rebuild existing trails to make them more sustainable these efforts will be recognized and that can be a future conversation.

I don’t think we should start our efforts with “hey! Let’s build a bike park!”

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Serious question for the trail builders... Is the shitty trail conditions, loose and rooty, avoidable at LewMo? IE, if there's proper drainage will the trails have better dirt conditions?

Not avoidable IMO. There are just too many rocks here for it to ever be a set & forget trail system. But that goes back to what i said about regular maintenance. I mean you have medical organizations and NASA with strict maintenance schedules on the things they use. We're talking trillion dollar industries that know nothing ever lasts. A bunch of morons in the woods with tools won't be able to get this right.

Also @Soundguy is right. The MCPC Full Send Bike Park maybe more of a stage 2 or 5 or 5000 thing.

Greg-O

Some of you may know that Lew Mo hasn’t received much trail love over the past few years. However I’m pleased to say there’s a new trail director that’s joined the MCPC and she is very passionate about developing and implementing a proper, modern trail plan. She is in process of taking input from park users. I have spoken with her as well as submitted a detailed write up of ideas for her consideration. I’d like to make sure I haven’t missed anything so please reply to this thread with your ideas. I’ll consolidate them in the spring and submit them to MCPC for consideration in the strategic plan.

Consider this open mic/free form but please keep things constructive and add rationale if appropriate. If you have a specific area for your idea, please use the grid in the attached map (e.g. D4, E6, etc) to indicate the approximate location.

Ideas can also include policy suggestions (e.g. multi use vs single use, wet conditions riding, parking, etc)

If you have ideas that you’d prefer not to share in a public forum, please PM me. I’ll do my best to respond in a timely fashion.

Thanks in advance!
Grooming the trails with a sled during the winter, would help with the fat biking immensely. Also, maybe adding some better technical sections and flow type pump track sections as well, would be great.

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
I'm not sure if it's still an issue as I have given up on lewmo but events, I understand the contribute to the park financially but everytime I would ride after a tough mudder or w.e. it's called the place was trashed. Parts would look like someone went 4wheeling through all gas all the time and then dump the contents of my garage along the trails. I understand there is a balance but we must have them repent for their sins!

Last edited:

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm not sure if it's still an issue as I have up on lewmo but events, I understand the contribute to the park financially but everytime I would ride after a tough mudder or w.e. it's called the place was trashed. Parts would look like someone went 4wheeling through all gas all the time and then dump the contents of my garage along the trails. I understand there is a balance but we must have them repent for their sins!
There was a trail running event one year and their course markers were still up like 6 months later and it blew my mind that the promoters did not go back over the course after the event...

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
There was a trail running event one year and their course markers were still up like 6 months later and it blew my mind that the promoters did not go back over the course after the event...

The tough mudder I remember it rained for weeks before the event, there needs to be contingency plans in place to call off and reschedule events. I get it sucks but @norms dopey ass could do it with ST I don't see why other event organizers can't do the same.

Ttyl impending ban lol

Cassinonorth

you send @jdog
/thread

OMG I haven't been there fore like 10 years when I "raced" XC and this site was all about rigid singlespeed 29ers ha but this video doesn't make it look too bad. There is terrain/elevation change that needs to be taken advantage of. I like this "urban dropper" guy he is full of stoke in all his posts and corny funny. Reminds me of regular car reviews. Anyone know him?

He rides with a FB group...interesting dude for sure lol

mtbiker87

Max is right about this. Those events straight up wreck the trails for other users. Pretty much the reason the XC trails were left to rot at Creek/Hamburg Mt WMA, was that everytime they ran the Spartan race, they'd use those trails, trash 'em, and wreck all the work that mostly JORBA did, to make them worth riding in the first place. I see evidence of the same shit at Wayway, we're just lucky the the trails are rocky enough, and designed well enough, to survive it. The parks see the money from these events and grab for it, but it wrecks the parks almost as bad as moto/quad traffic. If they continue to allow those kinds of events at a place like LewMo....don't even bother.

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
Collect a deposit from the event or have the money go into an escrow where the funds are released when the park is returned to the state before the event.

zip

Do not underestimate the power of gravel. Sow some in those puddles down by the stream crossing bridge. It will mix with the soil and create a hard surface so tires dont sink when wet. This is an instance where park personnel could be a real help hauling it in with a motorized mule.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions