Send me your ideas for Lew Mo

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
Some of you may know that Lew Mo hasn’t received much trail love over the past few years. However I’m pleased to say there’s a new trail director that’s joined the MCPC and she is very passionate about developing and implementing a proper, modern trail plan. She is in process of taking input from park users. I have spoken with her as well as submitted a detailed write up of ideas for her consideration. I’d like to make sure I haven’t missed anything so please reply to this thread with your ideas. I’ll consolidate them in the spring and submit them to MCPC for consideration in the strategic plan.

Consider this open mic/free form but please keep things constructive and add rationale if appropriate. If you have a specific area for your idea, please use the grid in the attached map (e.g. D4, E6, etc) to indicate the approximate location.

Ideas can also include policy suggestions (e.g. multi use vs single use, wet conditions riding, parking, etc)

If you have ideas that you’d prefer not to share in a public forum, please PM me. I’ll do my best to respond in a timely fashion.

Thanks in advance!

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
There's so much erosion there, and it's accelerated dramatically over the past year.... I'll have to look at a map, because as much as I ride there, I never look at color blazes or trail names. A bulldozer and fire wood be a good start. There are a few trails that need to be closed, some sections could use some rock armoring or wood bridges. I know a lot of work was done several years ago on the switchbacks, but after all the wear and tear, they're not holding up well at all. I'll post specifics at some point.

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
LewMo is the closest park to my house and i only ride there when i'm short on time. I much prefer the "destination" north jersey parks. I would love for LewMo to be a real destination so that i don't need to drive so far all the time but i dunno if it's possible.

Baby steps: Address drainage issues in the usual spots that puddle up and eliminate the mud factor. Also, either get permission or commitment from the park to removed downed trees promptly.
Longer term: Singletrack reroutes of rutted, blown out or boring fireroad sections.
Dream: Skills park, pump track, features built into the singletrack to make it more interesting for experienced/skilled riders (think Nassau)

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
My thought is take advantage of the terrain and make legit, fun, beginner friendly trails. Berms, flow, all that. There's so much good tech in the area it would be cool to have someplace to send new riders that's fun but not intimidating. I haven't been there in a long time, so I don't know what kinda shape the trails are in specifically. But that would be my idea on the best way to utilize the terrain. The picker (Barberry?) bushes are really good at keeping trail braiding/widening from happening if used properly.

And when a trail gets closed, gotta figure out a way to make it stay closed. Dynamite maybe? Bikers are A-holes and feel like they should be able to ride anything they like, closed or no.
You asked for .02, you got it!

THATmanMANNY

you send @jdog
/thread

OMG I haven't been there fore like 10 years when I "raced" XC and this site was all about rigid singlespeed 29ers ha but this video doesn't make it look too bad. There is terrain/elevation change that needs to be taken advantage of. I like this "urban dropper" guy he is full of stoke in all his posts and corny funny. Reminds me of regular car reviews. Anyone know him?

stilluf

@icebiker thank you for your relentless advocacy! Yes Lew Mo needs much TM love, and I would start with re-routes of the downhill trail off of the Tempe Wick parking lot. This trail is, I believe, the most eroded and blown out of all the eroded and blown out trails in the park.

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
Also, not sure if it's in the same "jurisdiction" but take advantage of Patriots Path. If we can build cool little singletrack offshoots sections off of PP, the significant mileage could be the draw for LewMo. (think Cedar Grove/Mills/Hilltop but legit/legal). I also agree fun, flowy trails that beginners and advanced riders could both enjoy would be the way to go since there's not much tech there.

Last edited:

xc62701

They closed the good trails. There was a beautiful switchback up the middle of the park that avoided an old eroded double track up to the teal/orange intersection. Yes that blew my mind. Then they closed the boat loop on the other side of the park. Not sure what they are thinking really. And yes the widening and lack of erosion/mud hole prevention needs to be addressed.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Then they closed the boat loop on the other side of the park.

RIP Gilligan's Island.

@icebiker I'm sure you know as well as any of us what most of these suggestions will come to. Pretty much every foot of this park needs to be fixed in some fashion.

In my limited experience ~10 years ago with MCPC up at Mahlon, the biggest issue with be that the day after something gets fixed, the 5 other MCPC "chiefs" will come down on her and things will stall. The question I have is - can that be avoided?

I would fix the switchbacks first. They need an overhaul. Get permission to do that and I will lead the charge & the crew for that effort.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
They closed the good trails. There was a beautiful switchback up the middle of the park that avoided an old eroded double track up to the teal/orange intersection. Yes that blew my mind. Then they closed the boat loop on the other side of the park. Not sure what they are thinking really. And yes the widening and lack of erosion/mud hole prevention needs to be addressed.
those were both "non-sanctioned" trails I think. Yeah, they were there forever, but at some point, they were just rogue trails. RIP Boat Loop.

Xler8

This is really exciting!! The park has some really fun sections which should be kept, but fixed. Proper drainage needs to be established in certain areas. The addition of more trails would be a plus. Adding features would be the icing on the cake. Better trail markings would help navigation. Maybe a skills course?

Not sure where the boundaries are and how passionate the new director is but the entire park could be transformed into something really, really great if the appetite exists.

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
As mentioned I think the decline of LewMo is just lack of maintenance all around. Let’s face it, there isn’t any tech so it draws the beginners out. Beginners don’t know any better and damage trails. Nobody has gone in to fix said damage in the 4 years I’ve ridden there. Outside of blown down trees getting cut out I don’t think I’ve seen any other sign of trail work.

I have heard many stories about the politics involving MCPC and Lewmo so it’s great that you are getting somewhere. If ever there is a day we are allowed to go in and work I will be there.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Are you talking about the north loop? I think the DH segment is “bombs away” on Strava? If so that sucks. I used to end every ride with a rip down that.
no... Northern Loop is a waste of space. Boat Loop Climb is actually part of Patriots Path. There used to be a loop , half of which they closed...

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Are you talking about the north loop? I think the DH segment is “bombs away” on Strava? If so that sucks. I used to end every ride with a rip down that.
Screen Shot 2021-01-26 at 10.52.12 AM.png

Boat Loop Climb got it's name from the boat that's somewhere back in the closed section.

goldsbar

I like the burn and bulldoze suggestion. J/K- sort of. There's something about the terrain here that makes it very open to erosion and trail widening. Part is just a tremendous amount of usage, but there's more to it than that. There are few natural boundaries to actually keep people on the trail. They tried to update this place 10-15 years ago and most of those trails were ill conceived and haven't stood the test of time. This has to be done right, with all of those factors in mind.

Flow seems to be the way to go. Berms - done correctly, not some of the crap that's there now - will keep people from cutting corners on the inside. Try to work in the existing trails whenever possible. No need to trash other sections of the woods. Drainage is also key. People will ride here at every freeze-thaw opportunity. Impossible to prevent.

I actually liked the Northern Loop and still like the current loop.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions