Send me your ideas for Lew Mo

beaner

I think it would be helpful to take a step back and figure out what does the topography allow MTBers to build sustainably. Some of the posts have touched on this with certain areas more susceptible to erosion, shallow roots, poor drainage, etc. Furthermore, I think it is important to keep in mind all the stakeholders who are involved (hikers, equestrians, runners, rangers) and ensuring you are addressing their desires as well. Count me in to help with maintenance and the building of the trails. LewMo has a ton of potential and would like to see this effort successful. Love all the ideas on here so far.

JonF

Since LewMo borders Mendham, can we tap into its near endless wealth and add some fancy lift serve access to the top? The access road is already there! 🀣

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
Update: I've heard back from the new trails director and she's asked me to review the plan to date. We are looking to set up time in the next 10 days, at which point I will also share the ideas on this thread that I haven't already included in my original proposal document. Your additional ideas include skills sections, advanced features, and winter grooming (why, as the "ICEbiker" I didn't think of that one myself, is a mystery :smh:). I'd also like to re-introduce night riding there, which is something we negotiated for and had for a short time years ago there and at Mahlon.

While I can understand some of the skepticism, since I too have seen the support for multi-use and regular investment in the trails wax and wane over the past 25 years I've been involved, I am choosing to approach this opportunity with an open mind. The Director I'm working with seems very enthusiastic and has extensive experience working on multi-use parks in several states. I think we have to be patient and take things one step (pedal stroke?) at a time. I also really appreciate those of you have offered to volunteer when the time comes. I'll let ya'll know what I learn.

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
Quick update....great meeting with the new director, she has laid out an initial trails plan that I believe is right for the park and squarely fits with a lot of the input we've all provided. More details later but suffice it to say the entire park network will be revamped. May take up to 5 years, but work will begin this year with three projects:

1) Re-open Gilligan's (Patriot's Path alternate route between Whitehead Road and 24)
2) Build a brand new trail on the east side of the park
3) Standardize blazing on the existing network until it is fully revamped

For those that raised concerns about whether this will really happen, know that the director has carte blanche, she is very experienced in trail building (has multiple credentials including IMBA training) and she is very enthusiastic. With her at the helm, I believe we can make Lew Mo the park it deserves to be.

There's a lot more to share but wanted to at least get a short update out. If you are interested in volunteering for trail projects, please shoot me an email at icebikerg at geemail doht comm. List your name, contact info, preferred dates/availability (work will be done Weds through Sundays) and whether you've had any trail building training or experience (even if you don't that's ok).

Thanks again all

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
What is so special about Gilligan ?

Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale,
A tale of a fateful trail.
That started out from Morristown
And ended at this vale.

The dirt was a mighty cruising time,
The visage fun and new.
I mean there was a boat right there,
And no-body knew...no-body knew.

The access started getting rough,
The tiny trail was tossed,
If not for the courage of the Ice Bike crew
The Gilligan would be lost, the Gilligan would be lost.

The trail hid under leaves and sticks ignored much for a while
With Gilligan...
Ice Biker too...
Satan Pez, and his wife..
A Madison Dan..
The Sound Guy, and Mary Ann,*
Here on Gilligan's Isle!!!!

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
What is so special about Gilligan ?
1614889798704.jpeg

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's
And ended at this vale.

The visage fun and new.

With Gilligan...
Ice Biker too...
A Madison Dan..
hot damn... i think you just won the internet

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
And ended at this vale.

The visage fun and new.

With Gilligan...
Ice Biker too...
A Madison Dan..
You know that thing that goes something like don't quit your day job?

I think you can.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions