Running With the Foghorn Leghorn

The kids a trooper.:thumbsup:

Apparently, too many markings is the perfect number for my navigational skill set.:rolleyes:

Even with all that, I STILL came in too hot (poor choice of words) and blew the hard right turn at the end of the rock filled mud hole intersection. o_O

that one is ALWAYS an issue every year...I usually dont get too worried about it because its not really an intersection, its just a reroute. If you blow the turn and go straight, you will reconnect in the same spot in 15 seconds. So there is no advantage gained by blowing that turn...We be easier to just send people through, but the trail crew made an official reroute and it would be irresponsible to send 250 racers through the opposite way. But its a hard one to make and no matter how much tape and arrows we use, its gets blown through every year.

After riding the course at race speed, there were a few spots where I felt I could have done a better job. Noted for next year.

Sunday, July 19, 2015

The big day, the marquee event. Every year this is the crux of it all and this year was no exception. The ST series is a big series of events and we did some incredible efforts to make it happen. But in the end it is a race in the muck so expectations are low. Mooch was a solid event, but also part of a series and not a "standalone" event, as one might say. The Stewart race has been our cornerstone since we started this thing. Today is the final exam, as it were.

I wake up before the alarm, at 4:50. I lay there thinking about getting up, and I start to doze again but @Schilling's alarm in the next tent over kicks me up and I am awake fully now, and I get out of the tent & get ready for the early morning sweep. I am dressed and ready to go by 5:20. I take a seat at the now quiet fire pit and wait for @Robin and @gtluke to wake up.

image.jpg

I roll out at 5:50 and @2Julianas drives past me on the way to the gate. I unlock it and we are officially open for business. I chug the coffee she has brought me (thanks Alex!) and then we all roll for a pre-sweep of the lap. I know that around mile 5 is in need of work so I ride off ahead to fix that up. As I am finishing, Robin & Luke roll up and then we take off again. In a few spots I think things could use some attention, but nothing dire. On the far side of Beaver Pond I see the Dog Assholes have moved one of our logs and ripped off the arrow. I drag it back out and put a new one up. I ride out the lap and I'm back at reg in 1:30 total time.

The next 1.5 hours is a little nutty but nothing we're not used to. When I get there the reg tent is humming along like a Swiss watch thanks to @Dominique, @muddybike, @dnap, and @Kirt (and @SpartaBard?). I'm sure there were others there but I don't remember who was doing what. @UtahJoe is in Code Red mode, and he & @pearl go out to tape the prolog. I tag @Robin, @2Julianas, and @Mitch to be course marshals for the start of the race and also @Kaleidopete offers as well. So we have that covered.

@davidcarson48 and @Clapper get the dirty task of parking, which is the most thankless job of the day, usually. Coming in a close second are @pooriggy, @ChrisG, and @soundz who end up standing out at intersections for large chunks of time to make sure people like me don't cut the course. Or more importantly to diffuse confusion and make sure there are no car incidents. D gets scoring going, then helps more with reg. Things are moving along.

@Schilling, @Chris26er, and @capedoc help with various things but are also gearing up to race. Sound system is up thanks to Capers. @mattybfat makes sure our beer needs are covered by 8:30 am. @pedals offers to help out as well. This forms our team for the day. In addition we have @MissJR and @TheWomanWhoCooksAllOfLuke'sMealsAndWashesHisClothes out at the aid station as well as @Santapez out there. Finally, @woody helps with tables & tents and runs back & forth between reg & aid. His ambulance will be a valuable asset today.

At 9:00 it is a little chaotic. But I hate to be late so I make sure we are ready to go at 9:00. I put a chair in front of scoring and tell the open men to line up behind it. I then walk back and announce the starting order and a 45+ guy says, "You're starting us behind the women?" I reply, "Yes, yes I am." My tone let's him know this is not open to discussion. I go to the front and talk to the open men's class a little bit, it's the only class that I get any chance to say much to. And at about 8:59 John Arias says, "Do you think you can move the chair?" Indeed, probably a good idea.

At 9:00, the race goes off. Classes roll 1 minute after and by 9:05 everyone is out. I go and fix up the course to remove the prolog and then go back to reg. At that point, absolute silence greets you as there is now nothing at all to do for the next bit of time. Of course, it is not long before we get reports of tape being ripped down and then reports of someone putting it back up. I think 30 minutes into the race we have our first injury, the first of several on the day.

The leaders come through in a blazing 1:03, maybe the top 6 guys within a minute of each other. From there guys filter in and Utah yells that some tape is down at the end. It wasn't down, we just put some rocks on the end to make it more of an exit chute. If someone dumps on a road at 20 mph then does a 180 degree turn with a yellow arrow in front of them, well maybe they deserve to be off course. A few people roll through and I ask if there was any issue with any of the tape and I get stream of "no" answers. Course seems to be marked just fine.

At some point a rider we shall call Douche Bag makes a scene. In the 20 races we have promoted I have never seen anything like this. I will not belabor this point, because overall it was a great day. After lap 2 Douche Bag quits because he is a child. He makes more noise and I tell him to GTFOO the park. I refund his money and ban him from all future MTBNJ events.

Otherwise we have our share of bumps along the way. Before the race Christian separates a shoulder. During the race Virginia has a rib contusion (thought it was a broken rib) and Erwin apparently falls off a cliff and tumbles down hundreds of feet. At least this is what he looked like. I also will later refund all 3 of them because I hate to see people lose out on a race because of an injury. Plus I think this is what our team is all about. Hopefully they will all be back in the future. I really hate to see people get hurt like that but it happens and we do our best to take care of them.

@Kirt and @mattybfat and @MrsIggy and some woman in a blue dress end up spending a ton of time at the S/F aid station filling jugs and shooting ice water down the backs of racers. It is brutally hot so we run out of water and @Clapper helps a ton by going out 2 different times to get more. Racers come in looking hot, go out looking hot but maybe a hair cooler. We get tons of feedback that the course is awesome. Props to Utah for an outstanding course design.

Scoring, racers, support, crashes, heat - you add them all up and mix them in a bowl and this is what the day is. Over the winter there had been 4 of us driving back from the team gathering, myself, @Dominique, @Kirt, and @pooriggy. We were discussing format changes and D had come up with the 3x15 idea. Kirt immediately loved it and Iggy was on board too. In the end the format change probably turned this race from a good local event to something that is going to be even more of a signature event for us. We have some tweaks to make with the categories and some changes to make the day flow better. But we're already looking into how to make that happen.

There are lots of other things that happened on this day but it would take me all day to recap them. If you have specific questions I would love to hear them & I'll try to answer them. This whole promoter business is stressful at time but very rewarding. I have a great team behind me so I really don't sweat anything too much. I also cannot possible name everything that everyone did and thank them all, because I don't even know all of what went on and it would be a lot. Suffice to say, it is a lot and the team performed awesomely.

D has scoring nailed with the help of Robin/Carson/Alex and we do awards right after 2:00 then sweep the course by 3:00. Utah & Pearl rode in the truck and me, Robin, Clapper, Iggy, Kirt, Mitch, and Woody buzzed around like Blue Angels collecting tape, arrows, and disgusting food wrappers. We rolled for just over an hour, which is pretty good for a 15 mile loop. We broke it up in segments and did it that way. By 4:00 the course was clear. By 5:00 the gypsy camp was gone. Another race in the books, another successful event.

In total I spent 9 hours driving back & forth, about 15 hours riding/working on the trail, and then another 8 on race day just being there between the start/end sweep. This in addition to the other promotion stuff that I do from home. So this week alone was probably a 40+ hour week just dedicated to the race. That's how time consuming it can be.

At the end Iggy gave me this wooden plaque that the team all signed. This is the Kingdom Trails logo and on the back was an image of the house we stayed at with a note from the team as well as signatures. This was by far the coolest thing of the day and makes me remember back to the first race when the team gave me a signed poster after that first race. Without question we have something incredibly special going on here. On days like this, it all comes together and we show everyone how awesome we collectively can be.

image.jpg

Its fun trying to predict the water usage based on temperature. Last year we used about 50 gallons of water, the low was 69, high was 82, average was 76 according to WU. This year I brought 100 gallons and it was gone in about 3 hours...not sure how much @Clapper went and got...but there was almost nothing left. Temps were low 69, high 93, ave 81....Maybe it was two years ago, I bought 75 gallons of water and we had so much left over I was using it at home until christmas. Thankfully we have people who will run out and there are stores close by :)

Excellent work Mayor....we have done one of these races without you, but you do make things go so much smoother. Thanks for handling this truly monumental job that pays less than walmart greeting :)

Really enjoyed the glimpse behind the curtain. It's easy to take things for granted when all you do (I do) is show up and ride. So again, thank you; all of you. I bet you could write pages about the "red tape" involved in getting these to actually happen.

The post also helped me put a couple more names to faces, some thing I'm not particularly good at. So it was @MissJR and @Santapez at the aid station. I knew, I knew them from somewhere.... Hi! The face I didn't recognize at all turns out to be Mrs. @gtluke; what a sweetheart!

Almost forgot, I met (re-met) @jackx, hey.

You guys keep putting them on and I'll keep doing them... Deal?

Interesting to read the what goes on behind the scenes. I race pretty often and admittedly I rarely give much consideration to all that must be done in advance. However, I always notice what could be improved on. In this instance, I think you guys did a good job.

Don't be hard on yourselves regarding water etc. neutral feed on course should have water and stuff but very few races provide unlimited water at the staging/finish area. People should plan on being self sufficient when in sight of their car or cooler. Perhaps just as important, people shouldn't be disappointed when they show up at another promoters (or your next one) and they don't have all the amenities of the Golden Corral.

Of course the banker in me is screaming while reading this too...you need to manage your margins. You can't be spending unlimited funds and 100's of hours in labor, while paying out like that. It's not sustainable.

Thank you.

Monday, July 20, 2015

I'm behind here so I'm just going off the list of things I did the past few days. Numbers. We all love numbers:

1. Answered some race emails. I answer every single race email always. I made 1 exception for a guy who emailed asking for a credit because he was hurt. I just didn't have it in me.
2. Clean up the kitchen
3. Packed lunches for the boys
4. Took Simon to pre-school
5. Stopped to get gas then went food shopping at Shop Rite. This was relaxing.
6. Posted results & sent the email out
7. Wrote up a post catching up on the 31 days contest recapping my weekend
8. Bike laundry. It was awful.
9. Soaked my shoes & camelbacks in a mix of water, soap, and bleach
10. Cleaned out the bladder & tubes as best I could (not very well). Been trying to use the camelback again lately.
11. Went to the library to return 3 DVDs
12. Stopped at A&P because I forgot new sponges for the kitchen sink. Is it kinda sad that getting a new sponge for the sink makes me happy?
13. Made a cup of coffee and wrote up my Saturday blog entry. Much more involved that this one.
14. Took the bike rack extension off the car. Dropped from 4 bikes to 2, the normal setup.
15. Cleanup up the pile of crap on the front porch from Sunday
16. Washed the shoes & camelback again, rinsed, hung to dry. In the end the shoes will smell like ass still.
17. Cleaned up the pile of crap from the race in the hallway
18. Went for a bike ride with D after work. Not my work, contract starts next week. Really slow ride, like really slow because my legs were way tired.

That's about it.

image.jpg

New sponges make me happy too. Until you use them on something gooey, like a pot from a dish with cheese in it.

Tuesday, July 21, 2015

D says the last post was boring, so I'll try to make these fast-track recaps more interesting. But you still love numbers:

1. Got my new work contractor email address setup. While I was doing this a tiger jumped in from the open window and tried to steal my bagel. I hit the bastard with a wooden spoon then made it stand in the corner.

2. I cleaned the kitchen again. I had done it the day before but man, something or someone keeps coming in here and messing it up. Perhaps it was the tiger? Does anyone own a tiger? Are they messy?

3. Leery of the tiger, I loaded up the old train table into the Subaru to bring to @UtahJoe for his kid. This is one of those things you see and say, "Oh man my kid would love that!" So you buy it and they do love it. For like 12 minutes then they want something else. It's about as useful as a cardboard box in terms of keeping most kids occupied. But more expensive. Well, unless you buy a Mercedes in a box to get the box. Then you should just buy the train table.

4. Drove up to Utah's to drop the train table for his kid then I picked up the team tent and the podiums. Again, dropping off this thing makes me excited. Is that odd? Like getting this floor space back is something that excites me. I mean sure, it's cool that Bobbert is going to be happy for 12 minutes. That's awesome. But the floor space is just as exciting to me. So then after I brought it in I smashed it with a sledgehammer and left a tub of glue for Utah just to make him earn this thing.

5. Dropped off the co-ed team's awards in Morristown at Brian L's house. Brian is the guy who runs Team Bulldog. While I was there I took some Round Up and sprayed "Kris Weber Rules" in his front yard.

6. Hit up Trader Joes while I was out there. Just to piss off everyone I bought every single dairy product in the store.

image.jpg

7. Was about to saddle up for a mountain bike ride when @gtluke called me up and said there were bandits in Essex County, stealing eggs from babies. So I got on the horn and called in @woody and we high-tailed it to Millburn as fast as we could. I took the most direct path I could and was there in about an hour. When the guys got there we found egg shells all over, which was a clear sign that the bandits had been there. We followed the shells all over the place. They were obviously staying in the woods which was fortunate as we had mountain bikes. We came across a dude getting high on a turtle but in the end we never caught the bandits. We celebrated by destroying some pizza.

The end.

image.jpg

Why would you grab tent and podiums when you have storage at BSA where we need them next?

Unless there is a cross race.

cx@bsa around the lake.

(once again, norm has identified it as a demand problem, not a location problem - so i'm just sayin)

Maybe we should do a real cross race like the old school days instead of a real cross race like the new school days.. something along the lines of iron cross with some real technical challenges.

10/10 blog bost. Fat capers is amused.
IMG_5630.PNG

"Oh man my kid would love that!" So you buy it and they do love it. For like 12 minutes then they want something else. It's about as useful as a cardboard box in terms of keeping most kids occupied. But more expensive. Well, unless you buy a Mercedes in a box to get the box. Then you should just buy the train table.

When I was a kid, it was quite the contrary. I'd sit in front of my train table for hours every single day. My parents thought there was something the wrong with me in that I could sit there obsessed with watching something go round and round in circles for literally hours on end. So they had me evaluated to see if I was on the spectrum. Turns out I was not on the spectrum, I just have a tendency to be attracted to repetitive things that go on for infinity.

When I was a kid, it was quite the contrary. I'd sit in front of my train table for hours every single day. My parents thought there was something the wrong with me in that I could sit there obsessed with watching something go round and round in circles for literally hours on end. So they had me evaluated to see if I was on the spectrum. Turns out I was not on the spectrum, I just have a tendency to be attracted to repetitive things that go on for infinity.

grateful dead songs....

Last edited:
Yeah, I remember building an elaborate Thomas the Tank track set for my kids. I told my wife that I should glue the track down. Too late, the little shits destroyed the layout in less then 10 minutes.

Some kids are really good at building legos and train track sets, my kids where good at destroying such things.

Back
Top Bottom