Running With the Foghorn Leghorn

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Monday, May 4. 2015

The weekend has come to an end. Often times this spring I hit Monday full of piss & vinegar because I ride so little on the weekends. With races, promoting them, you often give up your weekend so they go off without a hitch. Hitchless. Or reasonably hitch-free. No hitches were harmed in the making of this blog post. Wait, not blog post. Just journal entry. My own private journal entry, that nobody can see. Wink wink. So normally, Monday, I am tired. This makes me think of Reservoir Dogs. Smallest violin in the world.

Not this Monday. This Monday I am tired. Last week I did manage 12 hours on the bike, or almost 12. Topped it off yesterday with a long road ride out to Frenchtown where we knocked out some lunch at the Lovin' Oven. Don't really care how gay people think the name is. Food was good. Would go back. Hit that at mile 27, banged out some good food, then knocked out another 27 miles. Then we went straight to Costco.

Team has a great weekend at Wawayanda. I did the pre-ride Tuesday and that was enough to know it wasn't going to be in the cards. Tough course, not remotely beginner friendly. Utah destroyed another piece of equipment. I get a bad rap but this guy is like a freaking ton of bricks on everything. And you can't even blame the string & duct tape approach for this since those wheels were brand new. Anyway, the team represented well. Solid stuff, really solid. When we got done with the ride Kris had texted me that she won, had beat Jane Pearson. That's legit, real legit. Jane Pearson once beat both Utah & I at a Wawayanda Spring Cleaning.

I installed LoseIt back on my phone today. Getting real with the riding again. So time to get real with the eating. It's good for a reality check. Checks & balances, cookies & cream - all that jazz. So it's time to track down the food aspect and at the same time keep knocking some of these rides out, day after day, week after week. Line up the dominoes, and they'll eventually fall.

Meeting up with Woody today at Chimney Rock after work, say 4:30 or so. Will roll over & back so in the end I'll ride with him for an hour. But it'll be good to have a destination and someone to ride with over there. Been really enjoying the MTB these days. Looking at my list I have been off-road 47 times this year. Today will be 48. I've even gotten a few KOMs in the dirt which is something I have not done in some time. Took 1 at Nassau then the douche who defined it promptly deleted it. Gotta love when people dislike me so much they delete segments after I take them.

The name if this journal is entirely retarded but it was going to be Daralagjazsky, not Foghorn Leghorn. Luke got this FH thing stuck in my head at the Allaire group ride. It's a great character name, truly great. It's a shame that real chickens are named this. They must get made fun of at school.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
nice work christopher

how are your allergies holding up now? mine have gone back to suck, like 75% suck

rlb

Most importantly, did you cruise costco in spandex? That's probably more gayer than lovin oven.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Agree with Kevin. Glad to see you writing here.

Let me know when you want the Nassau/Voorhees tour. It changes the feel of the ride dramatically. Plus you don't have ride in circles to get a good ride in

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
shit breaks, never ever my fault. JRA!

You know you should dig up that old 2010 recap, it was always one of my favorites. Its like one of those old stories we tell to pearl while we shake our cain at him....Back in my day, cat 1 races had 30 people in them and were 3 hours long in 107 degree heat. It was worth going yesterday just so I could retell the story about Jane to Kris.

Great day, Iggy got to be kirt on the podium, pearl got to be eric, iggy got to be iggy, Kris got be someones else too IIRC, much fun was had.

rick81721

Lothar
Took 1 at Nassau then the douche who defined it promptly deleted it. Gotta love when people dislike me so much they delete segments after I take them.

Wow is that lame. Like Mitch said create a bunch of new ones there.

The name if this journal is entirely retarded but it was going to be Daralagjazsky, not Foghorn Leghorn. Luke got this FH thing stuck in my head at the Allaire group ride. It's a great character name, truly great. It's a shame that real chickens are named this. They must get made fun of at school.

I thought you had become a philly eagles fan. That's what we call this:

philadelphia-eagles-logo.png

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Monday, May 4, 2015 - Evening

I rode with Woody & Clapper tonight, mostly sort of. I rode to the lot and said I was going to be there at 4:30. When I rolled to a stop it was 4:29:47. This is Garmin time. Garmin never lies. We then went out of the gate at a decent clip, and when Woody tried a TTF and missed it, I found myself in the front. We rode the red outer loop CCW and I led down the red descent. I ended up 6th overall on that run. We then cut across red and went down to CR Road. Again I led and this time I ended up 7th on the DH. Clapper then smashed his RD on the actual guard rail, which ultimately ended his ride. Meanwhile, I actually cleaned the guardrail climb for the first time in 2 years and like a dick rode right by him and to the turn. I then stopped and walked down to help, along with Woody. Long story, short: we managed to get Dave to a point he could limp home. Woody & I rode on.

We dropped down orange where I ended up 8th on the DH but I was behind Woody. We weren't going balls-out so we can improve on that. Up and into yellow I was really starting to get dehydrated and dragging ass. Up this climb Woody & I discussed the merits of gears & suspension. We did the new High Tech stuff backwards, which is better than the direction I've ever done it. 6th on that DH and that was a blast & a half of fun. After that I dragged ass home where I have been inhaling liquids since I got home. I think I am finally re-hydrated.

Today the allergies were awful. There was a paste of phlegm in my throat like I have never felt before. Having said that, overall this year has been better than years past. I have developed this thing where sometimes the post-nasal drip tastes terrible. This sometimes happens to people who have colds. That used to happen to me but now it happens whenever I get any sort of seasonal allergy kick. The doctor suggested Flonase so I've been on that & Claritin every day for a month or so now. I also take a 4 hour pseudoephedrine on days it's really bad. I'm staying on top of it as much as I can and I think it has helped this year. Also, it's been dry. I know people like rain but in years past it's rained every 3 days which in the long run just makes the pollen triple in concentration. I'm fine with it being dry, it seems to keep the pollen production at bay.

Today was a good ride. Since last Monday I have done 6 mountain bike rides (3 CR, 2 Nassau, and Wawayanda) and 2 road bike rides, including a 53 mile ride yesterday. I am having a really great run of it right now but I am probably going to need a day of rest sooner or later. Tomorrow is the typical Tuesday team and/or High Gear ride. So I plan to do something. But I may be in rough shape when that is done. Wednesday will be a light day. My work release will be Wednesday so that works out anyway.

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I say, I said I say, it's good to read a fresh blog.

High Tech backwards is CW or CCW? Road on your left or right? I like CW, road on my left. I cleaned it for the first time on Friday with Jay. It's in far better shape that it was with all those loose boulders last fall.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Yesterday I spent my creative energy keeping up with the new ANT (Ask Norm Tuesday) feature which may or may not last. I'll give @pearl credit for this abbreviation even if he is too chicken shit to video himself and ask a question. So I decided to skip the writing for a day. But here I am again, back with words. I have a little time between my shower and the release start, so I figure I'll sit down and collect my thoughts. Well, dump my thoughts. Not a lot of collecting going on with this. I collect through the day, dump at various points throughout.

Yesterday was a good day on the bike. We had planned on going to the HG A-/B ride but Simon ended up needing to go to the doctor with a pretty bad allergy reaction which you may have noticed on the Allergies video we did together. So we ended up going just us, @Dominique and I. Since I was tired from the day before I pretty much ended up drafting her for almost the entire 25 miles. So it ended up being a reasonable day for me and a hard day for her. That works out well as it give me a chance to sit in and enjoy the ride and do very little work. Always a bonus.

Off to Chimney Rock today where I planned on just hitting all the DH sections hard. I am in this phase where I want to get better at bike handling. So the DH runs at Chimney Rock are serving that purpose and allowing me to have a lot of fun in the process. Decent run of things today:
https://www.strava.com/activities/299359930/

That's 6 top 10s, including a KOM tie with @jShort as well as 6 PRs. Feeling pretty decent right now despite the allergies lingering in the background. On that note, I'll reply to @1sh0t1b33r next Tuesday about his question.

So far, so good with LoseIt. @mattybfat mentioned he installed it but in order for it to be effective you have to use it. Man, a cup of pasta is like nothing. I know I have gone through this exercise before but you forget, and things get away from you. My weak spot in the past few months has been peanut butter. I kinda add it to everything. It adds up.

Until Monday, I had always gone up Vosseler but then @woody brought us the other way. I have to say this is the "right" way to do it. I tried to take that 1 from JP today but I now see that the segment is defined well before the DH starts and includes some of the uphill. Who defines this crap? Anyway, @davidcarson48 there you go. Much more fun going up the switchbacks than up the rock vomit.

RobW

I really hope the ANT sticks around. and I really hope people are preparing for ANT with good material.

Reactions: rlb

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I installed loseit about 6 months ago, you see how that worked out for me :)

you need to switch it from foundit to loseit mode.....check with soundz

------------------------

thinking a two week stomach virus might be my best option, ymmv -

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I know cr as well as anybody. Seriously, i know every rock in that place.

I have no idea when these segments start or end. I don't think I've ever really been confident on knowing the start or finish for any except for the climb up yellow and maybe the guard rail climb.

I should just ask @Clapper....I know he's got all them memorized.

Top Bottom