Ringwood race reports

I may have seen that. Someone in front of me had a glorious over the top flying W on the first lap of the Sport race. It was a thing of beauty.

Well lucky for me, my crash was on the second lap. Didnt hurt too bad, just pissed me off and I had a karate kid moment "I hate this G*ddam bike!! I just want to go back to Jersey ma!" lol

Wow that course was brutal! Just when you find a little stretch to try and catch your breath another techy climb comes in and just sucks everything you've got from you. By the top of the switchbacks all that was going through my head was Jackson Browne's Running on Empty but the mile or two of swoopy singletrack that followed was terrific, especially the final downhill stretch through the spectators and over the bridge. My race was 19-29 beg. so we were very first off the gun. This is big motivation for me to try and push from the start because I know exactly where I stand within the pack. I went off hard at the line and went back and forth with someone (Dan) for about two miles before finally taking the lead and pulling away a bit. I figured if I could get ahead enough to lose sight of each other I would have an advantage. Pushing so hard early on killed me by the time the climbs came and I walked most of those switchbacks, just as the leader of the 30-39 bg caught me. Just about this time the valve on my camelback broke in the closed position, so it was no water from about mile 4 on out but I managed to hold on to the end of the race and won my class! It's so much fun to push yourself harder than you ever knew you could, the competitive spirit and great sportsmanship between everyone out there is so refreshing. The RVCC crew did a great job, especially considering there was probably quite a bit of work to be done to clear the course on Sunday morning. Seriously, where did all that water go?

The RVCC crew did a great job, especially considering there was probably quite a bit of work to be done to clear the course on Sunday morning. Seriously, where did all that water go?

The tree that was across the trail at the top of the switchbacks was the only one that fell on the course. They totally lucked out on that one. I helped them mark the course on Friday. It took 2.5 hours just to mark the beginner section. RVCC has done wonders for MTB in NJ.

Just as you went full gas, I ran into the back of someone and it opened my front Quick Release. Took just a second to fix but I lost momentum and a couple spots. I never saw you again. Would not have mattered anyway. I may have just kept you in sight longer. :eek:

I took 3rd in the Expert SS class. I got a shirt, a medal, and some gas money Whoop Whoop!!! I like to bring the hardware home to the kids.

You da man!!! Thats great!:)

Just as you went full gas, I ran into the back of someone and it opened my front Quick Release. Took just a second to fix but I lost momentum and a couple spots. I never saw you again. Would not have mattered anyway. I may have just kept you in sight longer. :eek:

I took 3rd in the Expert SS class. I got a shirt, a medal, and some gas money Whoop Whoop!!! I like to bring the hardware home to the kids.

Nice :getsome:

My race was 19-29 beg. so we were very first off the gun. This is big motivation for me to try and push from the start because I know exactly where I stand within the pack. I went off hard at the line and went back and forth with someone (Dan) for about two miles before finally taking the lead and pulling away a bit. I figured if I could get ahead enough to lose sight of each other I would have an advantage. Pushing so hard early on killed me by the time the climbs came and I walked most of those switchbacks, just as the leader of the 30-39 bg caught me.

I agree, great course. I was in your group as well...the guy who was way at the back off the start. I knew I would just die if I set off in a sprint initially. First race ever, but I had enough sense not to push too hard initially. Passed a few people on the fire road descent and then got left for dead on a lot of the climbs. Still, great course, bombed through all of the technical sections, but got killed on the fire road climbs. I believe I finished 5th in the group, which I'm ok with...certainly know what to work on for my next race: 1) Lower back endurance and 2) fire road climbing.

Great video! thanks for posting. When it started my volume was up high from something else and that track nearly blew all the papers off my desk!

He stung me on my ass!

My race seemed to worsen as the miles rolled on. I felt better this weekend than last week at 909. My first lap I saw Tommy on the side of the trail where he just finished fixing his flat. He had caught me and we were racing together, was so much fun riding with him :) Than ... psssssssssssst, I too flatted :mad2: I quickly dug out my trusty CO2 after Tommy change my tire (thank you honey) screwed the CO2 on the inflator than ... pssssssssssssssst all the air went out! :mad2: So he took off his rear wheel and gave it to me so I could finish the race (thank you honey) I rode off as he walked his bike back and recorded a DNF. All of a sudden I felt the most piercing pain! a bee had stung me on my ass! the little bastard! Lord did it hurt! infact it hurt the entire 2nd lap. Than coming into one of the rock gardens my front wheel stuck between some rocks and the next thing I saw was SKY ... GROUND! :mad2: I thought to myself "Man this is gonna hurt" I managed to land on my left side in the rocks, since my right side is still nursing the broken collarbone. I think I finished 5th. In my personal opinon I didn't like the course. I like a few rocks and technical sections but I felt certain sections were not rideable for me. I saw one of the male sport racers lying on a wooden strecher on the side of one sections and one of the women sport racers with blood running down her face. I hope both are OK and will be back riding soon.

RC

thanks for the concern

the woman with the bloody/bandaged head was my wife and she is doing fine. the racers, spectators, and ambulance guys/gals weere all very helpful. she had a quarter inch gash on her forehead, a sprained finger and thigh bruise. it was recommended that she may need a stitch ior two so we went to the local ER and they just glued it. she was upset that she didn't finish the race more than anything else and as soon as the finger gets a little better I'm sure will be riding possibly at the jorbafest. As for me I fely better at that race than any all year but couldn't stick around for the results. what I did different this time, didn't kill myself on the start and prerode the course earlier in the week. thanks again for the concern.

That track is awesome!! Who is that?

Mastodon "Blood and Thunder'. It's time to reclaim metal for XC. The DH/FR crowd has been monopolizing it for too long. ;)

I always enjoy the Ringwood course. It's a great mix of fast fire roads and technical trails- very well balanced between the two, and I really like the multi-line rock garden climbs where it's possible to pass through the rocks. At Ringwood (and Blue Mountain, for that matter), it definitely pays to know the course and trails.

the woman with the bloody/bandaged head was my wife and she is doing fine. the racers, spectators, and ambulance guys/gals weere all very helpful. she had a quarter inch gash on her forehead, a sprained finger and thigh bruise. it was recommended that she may need a stitch ior two so we went to the local ER and they just glued it. she was upset that she didn't finish the race more than anything else and as soon as the finger gets a little better I'm sure will be riding possibly at the jorbafest. As for me I fely better at that race than any all year but couldn't stick around for the results. what I did different this time, didn't kill myself on the start and prerode the course earlier in the week. thanks again for the concern.

Good to hear!

I just wanted to pass on a brief report from one of Filpe's teammates:
"Filpe suffered a lacerated liver. The bleeding has since stopped and he remains in Morristown hospital until the end of the week."

The Ski patrol evacuated him out on wheeled sled with the help of park police and RVCC marshals. I do not know if he left the park by vehicle or helicopter.

Thanks all for your patience with that late pro/expert start.

Back
Top Bottom