Ringwood race reports

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
First off, glad to hear your wife is OK Rayder.
Secondly, fast recovery to Filpe. It was wrenching not knowing how he was and especially hard with his wife and baby finding out he was down as she stood behind the finish desk. There were a lot of prayers going out for you guys.

To the Expert/Pro class... you guys and gals really are pros.
Though your start time was delayed significantly while an injured rider was assisted, I didn't hear a murmur of complaint from the group waiting to race. That speaks volumes on the caliber of people that we have in this sport. Competition can be fierce and the race can be adrenaline fueled, but none of us wants to see anyone else get hurt.

As for my day, I got a heads up from a friend that the trail was not exactly beginner friendly so, being the sensible person that I am, I promptly ignored the advice.

The race was certainly a bit more... a heck of a lot more challenging than Lewis Morris. And how do you manage to make a loop that is 80% uphill and 93% rock? I didn't think that was even possible!!

I had never been on the racecourse in Ringwood and had not been on the MTB since our gentle, rolling !!ROCKLESS!! Kingdom Trails trip in early July. Saturday afternoon, I got railed by my LBS pals for not taking the race seriously enough and going into it the day after a particularly hard shop ride. But I was in it for the experience and hoped only to finish.

It certainly burned like hell on the climbs from the start and I couldn't wait for it to level out. I was thrilled when it did and bombed through the downhill fire road. As for alternate dismounts, it was a pretty quiet day... only one demonstration of the tree slam dismount.

I did my fair share of walking, and a balking at a few drops, rocks and bridges that I was unprepared for. A few times I chided myself knowing I could have made them. But that one huge tree and the last bridge where you had to jump up, what... 2 feet to get on it...
:scared:NO FREAKING WAY!!!

At the end, thinking I was DFL for sure, I was amazed that I came in less than 2 minutes behind the leader... and took fourth place!

Race tally: Nothing broken, nothing bruised.
Should have gone out for another lap.... ;)

Last edited:

NJ Jess

Great Scott!

How dry it was,....can't believe how dry the trails were after 3+ inches of rain.
Thanks to all who came out for the 20th Anniversery Ringwood Race.
Prayers go out to all the injured. Hope we all heal fast.
Ringwood is quite the barometer to biking skills. I remember being a beginner and saying, "Ride This!, You got to be kidding." Now, 5 years later, this non'climber is riding just about everything. Mind you,..not fast, but on the bike no less. Pixy and I rode Ringwood on Monday and did a lot of the race course. I would have never been able to ride the day after a race a year ago. So all you beginners and sport riders, stick with it! Biking is like wine,...you only get better as you age,......

scotth

I really enjoyed the race and was very happy that my wife and son ( in a stroller) were able to walk to the start line. The course was fun, I walked the switchbacks and in two other spots that I don't remember. This was my first race and I took 3rd......from last in mens 35-39 beginner. I started off in the middle of the pack and was able to pass two people on a climb. Around the next corner they went right by along with a few other people. After that climb I had zero wind for the next twenty minutes. I spent that time just riding along trying to get my breath back. I saw a mystery photographer in a few spots. Towards the end of the race I saw him take a pic as I went by then he hopped on his bike I pulled to the side to let him by and he said "I'm not racing" So I kept going and he said everybody will be cheering around the next corner. I sped up a little, and around the next turn was a "BRIDGE" at that point I think I had a little tunnel vision going on because I didn't see a way around so I went over. That was my race "711...3rd from last" I hope the people who got hurt are able to heal soon.

Regards,

Scott

sasquatch2

the Ring' rocked...

...literally! The race course was knockout, thanks RVCC for putting on another excellent race and for the cool 20th anniversary t's my son and I got! The campmor dudes did an awesome fix-er-upper on my bike right before the race, thanks! Great combo of smooth singletrack/rock gardens and switchbacks from he11 to keep us awake. My son raced beginner and bit it just before the finish on the log drop right after the huge bridge, that's how he banged up his hand. I spoke to him when he finished, said he felt like puking because he had to beat the dude from last race- he thinks he did! After I took off for the sport start, another rider in the parking lot said he should have his hand looked at by the 1st aid people because it was starting to swell up- they iced it and held him until I finished so he missed the beginner results and medal ceremony, but big thanks to them for taking care! I felt awesome, pulled 5th in 35-39. I came thu the first lap in second place but after quite a few mechanicals and some cramping on the switchbacks due to running out of water, I lost a few spots!

6thElement

I wish they were more readily available, I always want to check out the times after the events so waiting a week+ makes that tough...

MST.ESQ

Ringwood Results Posted

Results have been posted...

Considering two riders from the next age class were blocking some of us at the start line - and made no effort to get out of the way - I am happy with my results... but I trust it will not happen again.

NJMX835

Man, the next 3 riders in front of me finished on the same minute as I did, should have pushed a little harder, lol

I'm happy with my time though, way better than the last time I rode this course 2 years ago.

I think I'm starting to catch the XC racing bug...I better go see a doctor :D

Top Bottom