Reducing impact

MikeP

We also need to be careful on how we discuss the trail issues when it comes to public forums. One of the things I caught from being at a meeting down south was a user group that had a lot of negative thoughts on the MTB community. They kept bringing up how we were referring to the trails as "ours" let us try and stay as positive and even keeled with all the user groups that share the trails.

Yeah Mike the whole "our" trail debate was comical to me but it did make us more aware of what we post via social media. Unfortunately things down south are no better. The dismantled trails are in disarray and all the rain has made things bad. The powers that be are working with officials but in not sure things will go back to the way they were.

Last edited:

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
Norm, who at MCPC is claiming all this?? You'll remember that nearly 15 years ago we heard the same claims at Lew Mo and Mahlon, and we successfully lobbied against closure, banded together with trail crews, built a ton of new stuff, closed down old unsustainable stuff and established a good rapport with the MCPC, from the ED (D.H.) to the trails Super (R.N.). We've even done everything we can to report and close down the rogue stuff that people seem to feel is their right to build because "they pay taxes":rolleyes: So, are there new players in MCPC that are bringing Tourne up again? or the same folks we've worked well with in the past?

I think the issue with Tourne is:

1) it's a small place, smack-dab in the middle of two towns (Mtn Lakes and Boonton), so gets a lot of concentrated use.

2) That use includes people (riders, runners, whomever) that aren't in touch with trail etiquette and/or take the park for granted and just go where they will.

3) Unlike Lew Mo or Mahlon, there's never been a long-standing trail maintenance effort there. Ryan tried to start one a while back, but he moved shortly after doing so, and no one was around to step up

4) The MCPC has always had a view that only the "biggest" parks in the system would be open to multi-use. They quietly accepted Tourne for MTB's after the town residents' protest in 1999 over the potential ban, but you'll notice that to this day mountain biking isn't listed as an activity in their directories of MC parks, and is not an icon on the wooden signboards at the entrance to the park.

I therefore think the key is to once again get the locals (town residents, etc) involved. If they ride there (even if they are more casual riders than those on this forum), they will have a vested interest in voicing their opinion and maybe, just maybe, step up to volunteer for a TM program, help close down the rogue trails (and keep them from springing up)..in other words, take ownership for and pride in the park. This is what's kept many of the parks in NJ going...local passion, local pride, local stewardship.

PS...the 1999 issue, for those not familiar with it, was documented in this Outside Magazine article...see web pages 4 - 6...

http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoo...-You--You----Get-Off-of-My-Trail-.html?page=1

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Norm, who at MCPC is claiming all this?? You'll remember that nearly 15 years ago we heard the same claims at Lew Mo and Mahlon, and we successfully lobbied against closure, banded together with trail crews, built a ton of new stuff, closed down old unsustainable stuff and established a good rapport with the MCPC, from the ED (D.H.) to the trails Super (R.N.). We've even done everything we can to report and close down the rogue stuff that people seem to feel is their right to build because "they pay taxes":rolleyes: So, are there new players in MCPC that are bringing Tourne up again? or the same folks we've worked well with in the past?

I think the issue with Tourne is:

1) it's a small place, smack-dab in the middle of two towns (Mtn Lakes and Boonton), so gets a lot of concentrated use.

2) That use includes people (riders, runners, whomever) that aren't in touch with trail etiquette and/or take the park for granted and just go where they will.

3) Unlike Lew Mo or Mahlon, there's never been a long-standing trail maintenance effort there. Ryan tried to start one a while back, but he moved shortly after doing so, and no one was around to step up

4) The MCPC has always had a view that only the "biggest" parks in the system would be open to multi-use. They quietly accepted Tourne for MTB's after the town residents' protest in 1999 over the potential ban, but you'll notice that to this day mountain biking isn't listed as an activity in their directories of MC parks, and is not an icon on the wooden signboards at the entrance to the park.

I therefore think the key is to once again get the locals (town residents, etc) involved. If they ride there (even if they are more casual riders than those on this forum), they will have a vested interest in voicing their opinion and maybe, just maybe, step up to volunteer for a TM program, help close down the rogue trails (and keep them from springing up)..in other words, take ownership for and pride in the park. This is what's kept many of the parks in NJ going...local passion, local pride, local stewardship.

PS...the 1999 issue, for those not familiar with it, was documented in this Outside Magazine article...see web pages 4 - 6...

http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoo...-You--You----Get-Off-of-My-Trail-.html?page=1

Hell, I live five minutes from there. I wonder if volunteering for their adopt-a-trail program would be a good start? I dunno squat about TM though...

michael.su

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Hell, I live five minutes from there. I wonder if volunteering for their adopt-a-trail program would be a good start? I dunno squat about TM though...

Sounds like a great start Dave. You should give it a try. I find TM a lot of fun and really rewarding. Hopefully someone with more experience at it will help you out. You'll pick it up along the way as well. Most of it is pretty simple just "think like water"
Figure out where it's going and convince it to go where you want it to go instead of straight down the trail causing erision issues. There is a lot of info and techniques on the Netz and I'm sure the JORBA guys can hook you up too.

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Sounds like a great start Dave. You should give it a try. I find TM a lot of fun and really rewarding. Hopefully someone with more experience at it will help you out. You'll pick it up along the way as well. Most of it is pretty simple just "think like water"
Figure out where it's going and convince it to go where you want it to go instead of straight down the trail causing erision issues. There is a lot of info and techniques on the Netz and I'm sure the JORBA guys can hook you up too.

Two words: Log Flume. Yeeehaaa!:D

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Ok so how do I get on the mcpc? 1) there is no representation with decision makers,

You are represented by JORBA.
We have started dialog with the MCPC to find out exactly what the perceived impacts are and how we can help mitigate.

Norm, Thanks in advance for your help. Please include me when it comes to any help/TM/whatever. I ride there quite and would hate to not be able to use this park anymore.

icebiker

JORBA.ORG

Best thing to do to start with Dave is to sign up to adopt a section of trail at the Tourne uinder MCPC's Adopt-A-trail program. You are only obliged to perform light-duty trail work (e.g. removing brush, deadfall, pruning, etc) and file a short report 3 times a year. You can also choose to do heavier work (e.g. digging nicks/grade dips (or simple drainage channels for low lying muddy spots to keep them drained and dry). It's pretty low key, and you get a nifty plaque with your name on it on the section of trail you adopt. But most importantly, it adds one more rider volunteer to the MCPC's ranks, particular one who's a resident...that's good will that goes a long way to speaking on behalf of the park's trail riding users. A-A-T is an easy, low-commitment way to get into trail stewardship without initially feeling like you have to start a whole multi-person TM program. Let me know if you're interested and I'll put you in touch with the AAT program manager. The prior manager retired last year, so it's now in the hands of a new person.

AAT is how I got started with TM. In fact, my first project was to build the singletrack that parallels the dirt road at the southern entrance to Lewis Morris. I built most of that myself back in the late '90's, and it's still going strong.

Funny story, though: I got about 75% of it built singlehandedly over a few weekends, took a weekend off and came back to find someone else had continued it (not exactly where I had in mind, but still saved me some time). I learned later that it was Marty's volunteers, who were setting up a race and decided to make it part of the course. That race's riders ended up being the first on the trail. A few years later I was riding with some locals and they suggested riding over to the trail called "Marty's"....I asked them which one that was, and sure enough...it was the one I built :rolleyes::D

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I could make that deal. There's a number on the mcpc site but if you know someone all the better. Doesn't sound like the time involved is too much to handle.

Is that the "yellow trail descent to tw lot" segment on Strava? Love that switchback section.:D

Last edited:

michael.su

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
I could make that deal. There's a number on the mcpc site but if you know someone all the better. Doesn't sound like the time involved is too much to handle.

Is that the "yellow trail descent to tw lot" segment on Strava? Love that switchback section.:D

"Like"

notcho

Count Me In

Pls count me in for the Adopt a Trail / TM. I've been a resident of Boonton Twp for the past 3 years and I probably have more rides at this place than most over that time span. I've had epic battles with folks dismantling the switchbacks as well has trying unsuccessfully to block off the routes up top. As others have noted, most of the recent damage was caused by water/storms, not mtb as most legal trails are rock/hard pack and very sustainable with a little TLC.

kerribeth

This is a bit surprising to me because I've always found the other people at the park to be friendly and they don't seem aggravated by us mountain bikers. Hopefully, all of the riders are being respectful of the hikers and using proper trail etiquette because not doing so to the wrong people is sometimes what starts this kind of thing. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help (lobbying, letters, trail maintenance, whatever). I love riding at Tourne and definitely don't want to lose it!!

icebiker

JORBA.ORG
Thanks Dave, Notcho and KB...I'll publish the contact name and info once I confirm with MCPC. The AAT coordinator for the past 15+ years retired in Jan, so I want to be sure I get you to the right person.

You are all correct in that any effort you can make toward watching out for illegal stuff, light duty TM, etc all goes toward a better perception for riders at Tourne, and better trails overall. You can even take a few minutes to do this during rides (e.g. closing inadvertent "ride arounds", or using your shoes or a large branch to dig a small channel for water to drain from a mud puddle so it dries faster and drains better in the future, etc)

Last edited:

icebiker

JORBA.ORG
Hey Dave, Notch, KB.... PM me your email addresses to ABC@optonline.net (where "ABC" = "icebiker"). I am in touch with the AAT coordinator and there are a few things we might want to check out first before I have you contact them. Easier to discuss via email.

Thanks!

trailhead

JORBA: Wildcat/Splitrock
JORBA.ORG
I got to speak with a representative of the park, and the concern is with the rogue downhill runs that have been created. Some exit into other trails and intersections and so there is a safety concern. They recognize that all users contribute to general trail degradation, and some trails are not designed well, but these rogue trails are being noticed and as a result may affect future trail policy.

We are not yet in the position to perform repairs, and participate in the maintenance programs as we will need to first focus on ensuring future access.

Ok so how do I get on the mcpc? 1) there is no representation with decision makers,

You are represented by JORBA.
We have started dialog with the MCPC to find out exactly what the perceived impacts are and how we can help mitigate.

notcho

Thanks for the update Norm. Is there anything the members of the MTB community that frequent this park could/should do to show our disapproval with this rouge builder? Thinking along the lines of blocking the trailheads and dismantling any man made features. Obviously no one should even think about riding these trails if it can potentially have an impact on future access.

trailhead

JORBA.ORG
We have met with the MCPC, discussed the problem and working on a resolution. To fully appreciate the situation, trail users should better understand the viewpoint of the park commissions.

Please review the map at the link below
Does everyone realize that currently only 1 trail is designated for biking?

http://www.morrisparks.net/aspparks/tournetr.asp

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's

I've pointed this out before:
http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/showthread.php?p=358905#post358905

Most people think riding is legal everywhere except the wildflower trail, although the map definitely says otherwise. I don't ride there very often, but I've never had anyone say anything about trails being off limits.

So is the MCPC's viewpoint that biking is basically not allowed at Tourne? Are they looking to make it officially allowed, or enforce the fact that it's not?

trailhead

JORBA.ORG
You are correct and it is the view of the MCPC that only 1 trail is designated for biking.

What happens from here really depends on the actions of the MTB community.

Obviously, the MCPC has been tolerant of our use of this park as nobody has been issued a summons. You may even think exceptionally tolerant given the observations made in this thread. We should not view this as an "Us against them" situation, and there is no need for a social media campaign. The MCPC sees it as their missions to provide recreational opportunities, but they also have the responsibility to ensure the activity does not adversely impact the resources or pose a hazard to other users of the park.

Through our actions, we may be able to change park policy and we are being afforded the opportunity to show we are compatible. Stay tuned for postings on trail maintenance opportunities in the coming months, and please consider passing the word on.

So is the MCPC's viewpoint that biking is basically not allowed at Tourne?

Are they looking to make it officially allowed, or enforce the fact that it's not?

We have met with the MCPC, discussed the problem and working on a resolution. To fully appreciate the situation, trail users should better understand the viewpoint of the park commissions.

that's pretty funny. i've been biking there for like a decade and had absolutely no idea.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions