Recommend me a Hardtail !!!

Wildwalker

I'm looking to get a new ride, it's been a long time since I bought new. With all the new names out there there are a crap ton of options. I'm looking for a

Hardtail
26" or 27.5"
Med frame
1x11
120 to 160 maybe 180 mm travle fork
Cable or hydro disk brakes
Slacker headtube angle

I want to keep it $800 or less.
Been looking at Diamondback, NS Bikes, GT Canodale, Trek.
The NS Clash looks good but it's only 1x8

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
It's clear you did some sort of research but lets guide you a little.

Q:what experience do you have?

Q:where do you(want to) ride?
and well all know the answer is the ragley marley in my garage lol

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
1587572370570.png

I think we have one of these left in med at $999. I tiny bit out of your range but worth a look. J

TimBay

View attachment 126466

I think we have one of these left in med at $999. I tiny bit out of your range but worth a look. J
This is probably the best possible option near your price range. I've done a ton of virtual shopping over the past year and a really solid trail hardtail is gonna cost 1500 easy. This model gets really close.

My bike (a Talon) was 720 new and I've wound up putting another 500+ of used parts into making it somewhat trail worthy and I definitely wish I just spent more on a better bike from the start. If your budget is firm, you might want to look at used.

Wildwalker

So I just realised 180mm is way much, 120 to 160 is more like it. I've been riding for quite awhile. I ride mainly single track but I dont shy away from jumps or challenging/fast lines. Trust me I wish I had 1500 to drop on a bike.
I've seen the Timberjack havent looked into it yet.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
you don't want a 26" wheel bike.
trust me! don't try to justify with "i want to flick" or "wagonwheels are ugly"
the larger wheels ride better, and make just about everyone a better rider.
as does wider rubber like 2.6 or 2.8"

unless you are getting a fatbike. then 26x5 or go home. :D

Wildwalker

Only listed 26 cause I know how they handle. I know I like 27.5, to me personally 29 is to big. Yes I've riden a 29er, I just dont feel comfortable on high rollers.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Hardtail
26" or 27.5"
Med frame
Yes I've riden a 29er, I just dont feel comfortable on high rollers.
You need a dropper post.
Please don't take this the wrong way but you don't know enough yet to buy a new bike. Keep riding your old bike, get better, learn more, check out what people are riding, give it time to think it over and save. $800 is entry level bike, a year from now you'll want to add upgrades that will cost you $1000+.

If you refuse to wait, I'd record a hardtale 29er, with a dropper post. With a decent suspension fork, gears and brakes you'll be around $1,600 range.

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
View attachment 126466

This is an awesome deal. I spent a good chunk more than that on a cannondale hardtail when I was getting back into riding just because I knew the name....huge mistake. That's not drastically out of your budget and is way nicer than a low end spec from one of the bigger names. Plus, Salsa's are just badass.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
On a hardtail you're gonna be hard pressed to find something with more than 130mm of travel. That NS bike is spec'd worse than my kids bike and costs more. The bike JDog posted looks like a killer deal. If you can find a decent used bike in your range, that'd be better than a new cheap bike. Iggy may be right, maybe you should wait until this situation clears up, save some cheddar, and demo some new bikes. You can drop $600-$800 on a dumpster fire now, then another $1,000 - $1,500 later, or save a bid and get something that will last, that fits you because you demo'd it, and is upgradable. Sorry if that was too blunt, but many of us made similar mistakes and can see how this may play out.

Wildwalker

You need a dropper post.
Please don't take this the wrong way but you don't know enough yet to buy a new bike. Keep riding your old bike, get better, learn more, check out what people are riding, give it time to think it over and save. $800 is entry level bike, a year from now you'll want to add upgrades that will cost you $1000+.

If you refuse to wait, I'd record a hardtale 29er, with a dropper post. With a decent suspension fork, gears and brakes you'll be around $1,600 range.

I do realise $800 is entry level I didnt know if there was anything even worth buying. I'm not in any rush to buy.

LukeW

I'm looking to get a new ride, it's been a long time since I bought new. With all the new names out there there are a crap ton of options. I'm looking for a

Hardtail
26" or 27.5"
Med frame
1x11
120 to 160 maybe 180 mm travle fork
Cable or hydro disk brakes
Slacker headtube angle

Been looking at Diamondback, NS Bikes, GT Canodale, Trek.
The NS Clash looks good but it's only 1x8
How about a used Santa Cruz Chameleon? I race a Highball and they are related, but the chameleon is the slacked out "fun" version. The highball is snappy and fun, so I''m sure the chameleon is a blast and you could find one from a few years ago in your price point.

Last edited:

Glenn Rides After 4 PM CST

Team MTBNJ Halter's

jdgang

Buy my ROS...it misses a couple of points, its not new, its a small and its a 29er but its really fun and you can run a 140mm on it. Oh did I mention it was STEEL!!!!! it in the bikes for sale.

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod

I own one of the only 2 ragleys I've ever seen. I really enjoyed mine but I was simply to tall for it. Depending on your schedule @Wildwalker, I will have it back together and for sale.

It's a ragley Marley
140mm rockshock
125 dropper
1x10 32 front 11x42

I'm pretty settled at 500 once I get the brakes back one it.
Screenshot_20200422-143535.png

That said the new ragleys are sweet for the price but if you spring for that go for the timberjack as it could be cheaper considering shipping and duties(sometimes they do duty free)

I'll have brakes on it next month once I get zees for my current bike(ns) and your welcome to try it at Dickerson mine(by my house)

Glenn Rides After 4 PM CST

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I own one of the only 2 ragleys I've ever seen. I really enjoyed mine but I was simply to tall for it. Depending on your schedule @Wildwalker, I will have it back together and for sale.

It's a ragley Marley
140mm rockshock
125 dropper
1x10 32 front 11x42

I'm pretty settled at 500 once I get the brakes back one it.
View attachment 126486

That said the new ragleys are sweet for the price but if you spring for that go for the timberjack as it could be cheaper considering shipping and duties(sometimes they do duty free)

I'll have brakes on it next month once I get zees for my current bike(ns) and your welcome to try it at Dickerson mine(by my house)
I had a MmmBop February/2016
I hated that bike. Was great going downhill sucked every place else. I raced it at short track that year.

Top Bottom