Raritan 911: Robocop

Not sure why he would call the Police about it, but how would you feel if somebody used a map of North America that showed Mexico border with Canada ?

I don't get the whole 'Mediterranean Restaurant' thing anyway, that could mean anything from Spain, France, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Cyprus, Morocco, Tunisia, Algeria, Lebanon etc..kind of deceiving if you ask me.

People call us when they can't figure out who else to call. They have to vent, so I get to hear it.

so because i'm me... i had to look up this menu... the yelp photos don't show any maps... and the online menu includes little flags from several countries next to each item... and if my old lady eyes do not deceive me, there is an israel flag on there... like right next to the "Israel Vegetable Couscous"... soooooo... now i'm hungry.

P.S. Thanks for keeping us safe from evil Mediterranean restaurants.

Yeah apparently it's just the in-restaurant menu. I'll try and get one when I'm back on days in August.

On to more fun topics.

@Carson, do you have any advice on how to deal with a parent who is losing their mind. My mother has recently befriended (online) a Turkish ambassador in need of a helicoper ride, a Korean engineer in need of a plane ticket and some guy who was supposed to buy her a house or a Mercedes or both....all to the tune of $12000 that we know about.

This much more common than you think. We have an officer whose father lost his 401(k) and ended up divorced because he gave it all to some woman in Africa (that he's never met). There was nothing that worked for him. Intervention, therapy, medication. Nothing. He wouldn't consent to giving power of attorney to another family member, so he lost it all. He owned a very nice home in Independence Township mortgage-free. He's now in an apartment in Hackettstown and barely manages that. Very sad.

Work quickly with your other siblings to intervene sooner rather than later; seek professional help. It generally will get worse as they are not isolated incidents, unfortunately.

This much more common than you think. We have an officer whose father lost his 401(k) and ended up divorced because he gave it all to some woman in Africa (that he's never met). There was nothing that worked for him. Intervention, therapy, medication. Nothing. He wouldn't consent to giving power of attorney to another family member, so he lost it all. He owned a very nice home in Independence Township mortgage-free. He's now in an apartment in Hackettstown and barely manages that. Very sad.

Work quickly with your other siblings to intervene sooner rather than later; seek professional help. It generally will get worse as they are not isolated incidents, unfortunately.

My sister just left the banks. Apparently the branch mgr and 2 other employees were trying to convince her she was being scammed, she just wouldn't believe them and there was nothing they could legally do to stop her. Not sure how we are going to convince her to give up control of her banking to us. Maybe I should ask the guys scamming her for advice. They seem to have it figured out.

My sister just left the banks. Apparently the branch mgr and 2 other employees were trying to convince her she was being scammed, she just wouldn't believe them and there was nothing they could legally do to stop her. Not sure how we are going to convince her to give up control of her banking to us. Maybe I should ask the guys scamming her for advice. They seem to have it figured out.
I used to have to deal with this on a regular basis when I worked in a branch. Good luck.

so because i'm me... i had to look up this menu... the yelp photos don't show any maps... and the online menu includes little flags from several countries next to each item... and if my old lady eyes do not deceive me, there is an israel flag on there... like right next to the "Israel Vegetable Couscous"... soooooo... now i'm hungry.

P.S. Thanks for keeping us safe from evil Mediterranean restaurants.

Israeli Flag next to the "Israeli Vegetable Couscous" and the "Haifa Shrimp", which is definitely not Kosher, but that was not the customer's complaint.

We have an FBI office in my business complex and I see a few of the guys in the locker room. They said a huge percentage of their work is working on cases like these.

On that point, my in laws recently had a check stolen out of a USPS mailbox and it was changed from $800 and change to $8800 and change. They are getting the money back, however now my MIL is obessed, hanging out at the post office, asking them for surveillance footage, like every day for the past 10 days.

Scam the scammers.....offer them way more.

My friends mother had an experience with a similar ending: she was out six figures, the majority of her liquid assets. She received a call with what sounded like her wealthy brother on the other end with an "associate." After they won her trust with a story of how her brother needed a short term loan, they persuaded her to transfer two sums to a bank in Georgia. The money was never recovered.

My 92 year old Dad, on the other hand, strings these con men along, until THEY start to scream and curse. That's how we do. He did receive one of these calls five years ago, the caller pretending to be LEO and my Dad's grandson in trouble and he needed to wire money immediately. Dad asked some questions and the answers were off. This experience put him on alert.

My friends mother had an experience with a similar ending: she was out six figures, the majority of her liquid assets. She received a call with what sounded like her wealthy brother on the other end with an "associate." After they won her trust with a story of how her brother needed a short term loan, they persuaded her to transfer two sums to a bank in Georgia. The money was never recovered.

My 92 year old Dad, on the other hand, strings these con men along, until THEY start to scream and curse. That's how we do. He did receive one of these calls five years ago, the caller pretending to be LEO and my Dad's grandson in trouble and he needed to wire money immediately. Dad asked some questions and the answers were off. This experience put him on alert.

The one scam she didn't fall was the grandson one. The caller didn't know the names of any of her grandsons. If they would have done a little better research I'm sure that would have got her too.

@serviceguy

On to more fun topics.

@Carson, do you have any advice on how to deal with a parent who is losing their mind. My mother has recently befriended (online) a Turkish ambassador in need of a helicoper ride, a Korean engineer in need of a plane ticket and some guy who was supposed to buy her a house or a Mercedes or both....all to the tune of $12000 that we know about.

I know nothing about these type of things, but why not contact a lawyer that does living wills (health directive), power of attorney, and final will. Ask Mom to set these up if she hasn't already. If she has, and you are the power of attorney, good. If she hasn't and doesn't want to, speak with the lawyer anyway about an injunction pending the outcome of a wellness check on her mental health. You hate to see the state take her over, but which is worse, state or scam?
Again, I don't know a damn thing about this, but getting advice from a lawyer that probably deals with this, is the first thing I would do.

Reactions: rlb

Yes, it's sucks. Direct wire transfers, spoofed phone numbers...it's very difficult to do anything about on the local level.

I know nothing about these type of things, but why not contact a lawyer that does living wills (health directive), power of attorney, and final will. Ask Mom to set these up if she hasn't already. If she has, and you are the power of attorney, good. If she hasn't and doesn't want to, speak with the lawyer anyway about an injunction pending the outcome of a wellness check on her mental health. You hate to see the state take her over, but which is worse, state or scam?
Again, I don't know a damn thing about this, but getting advice from a lawyer that probably deals with this, is the first thing I would do.

Lol, we had our local prosecutor taken for $160,000. I forget the exact scam but it had something to do with real estate. I guess it can't hurt but without the consent of the victim, none of those things are going to happen.

Lol, we had our local prosecutor taken for $160,000. I forget the exact scam but it had something to do with real estate. I guess it can't hurt but without the consent of the victim, none of those things are going to happen.[/QUOTE]

This may have been a common scam that to many law firms fell victim too a few years ago. It goes like this: New client from overseas contacts US attorney, and says I need a law firm to handle a closing or some other transaction, most of which consists of processing a large check. Firm agrees, puts check into its attorney trust account, then wires money from account (minus its fee) to "client." Day or two later, bank calls and says there is a problem with the check, and of course it's a fake. Meanwhile, "client" is gone with the money and never heard from again.
I know you are asking, an attorney fell for this? Yes, it happens, especially when the "client" creates a convincing fake website, maybe even creates some online content to back up it's statements. So, attorney does some online due diligence (it's an overseas company, so OK not too much there), and figures it's OK to basically act as a middle man and make a fee from the transaction. At the end of the day, like your relatives, the money is gone without any recourse.

Lol, we had our local prosecutor taken for $160,000. I forget the exact scam but it had something to do with real estate. I guess it can't hurt but without the consent of the victim, none of those things are going to happen.

This may have been a common scam that to many law firms fell victim too a few years ago. It goes like this: New client from overseas contacts US attorney, and says I need a law firm to handle a closing or some other transaction, most of which consists of processing a large check. Firm agrees, puts check into its attorney trust account, then wires money from account (minus its fee) to "client." Day or two later, bank calls and says there is a problem with the check, and of course it's a fake. Meanwhile, "client" is gone with the money and never heard from again.
I know you are asking, an attorney fell for this? Yes, it happens, especially when the "client" creates a convincing fake website, maybe even creates some online content to back up it's statements. So, attorney does some online due diligence (it's an overseas company, so OK not too much there), and figures it's OK to basically act as a middle man and make a fee from the transaction. At the end of the day, like your relatives, the money is gone without any recourse.[/QUOTE]

This was 100% the scam she got taken by.

Back
Top Bottom